stuck in park

Yup. Or it won't let you shift *out* of park. Maybe both, I dunno. And apparently it's very common.

I just Googled it to be sure, and I see that the same problem is mentioned all over the place. It happened to me in my 2004 Ford Focus. A lot of people with F150 pickups seem to have run into the same thing.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

It was locked into

solenoids. Better

So when you can't get it into park, then you can't start it again because it isn't in park. That is one of those things where you know bad just came, worse is coming.

Wes

Wes

Perhaps folks are also forgetting the mechanical advantage the "little" pawl in the transmission has due to the gearing past it in the differential. The somewhat rare driveshaft parking brakes use the same gearing advantage.

Reply to
Pete C.

BTSI - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock, one of the "nanny" devices that arose from idiots starting vehicles in gear and crashing into stuff. All that I have seen have had an override mechanism, usually under a little pop off cover next to the shift lever. You pop the cover off and then push a lever under it to release the interlock in the event of an electrical or solenoid failure. The procedure is documented in the owner's manual that nobody reads.

Reply to
Pete C.

Naw! I guess it "failed safe" in some way. It would not go into park. Evidently the (failed) relay logic knew to let it start in drive. I high-tailed it home 25 miles and took it in for repair under extened warranty the next day.

It was locked into

solenoids. Better

So when you can't get it into park, then you can't start it again because it isn't in park. That is one of those things where you know bad just came, worse is coming.

Wes

Robert Swinney

That's how I got my Focus moving. Yes, it's documented in my owner's manual, but I only found out about it after calling my local Ford service department.

Now I carry a tiny screwdriver in the glove box to pop the cover open. I wrecked one cover with my pocket knife, but it only happened once.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Evidently the (failed)

took it in for repair

You got lucky. Did you start in in neutral?

Wes

Wes

That's ridiculous, but great to know, for all those other vehicles.

I by pass the clutch switch as soon as the vehicle is mine cause who wants to depress the clutch just to start it. Same thing with the stereo, don't need a stinking key and ping ping ping with the music.

I despise automatics and can't pass up a cool brand new looking Porsche without seeing if it has a stick shift and I haven't seen one yet ! Are you to just brake into every situation?

A friend got one of those newer caddies, best hope those things are in a good mood when you need to go somewhere. That or just stop somewhere and have it refuse to continue on cause there's no windshield washer to protect the rubber blades, and you slammed the door for the last time. Or better yet, lip off to the police and confirm that you have driven down the main drag within the last hour in Allen Town PA. where it is illegal.

Not to mention that all conversations are recorded and if driving across a state line is admissible in court. Bet that comes really convenient with all those tiny states around you.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I just got back.

We got it out of park ONCE. Did this by jacking on the drive shaft with a pipe wrench and wiggling on the shift lever at the same time.

Moved the van to level ground and locked it up again. Its a Ford Econoline. I just told the kid about the electric possible problem He'll check it out.

We got the seven cyclinder deisel there and a load of stuff, got the water running (off all winter) Got the AC running, stove is broke, but he knew that. The place hasn't been mowed this year, he's got a new lawn mower to test tonight. First night in the new place. He needs the van big time to complete the move.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes. As I recall, it would go ok into neutral to start.

Evidently the (failed)

took it in for

You got lucky. Did you start in in neutral?

Wes

Robert Swinney

{sigh...} All cars with automatics built after about 1985 have the brake/shift interlock. Ever since Audi's "unintended Acceleration" debacle. just people with big, clumsy feet...} JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Payback for all that steel he stole! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dont know if anyone else has mentioned this possibility.....

My dad's ford focus got stranded and would not mover out of park. Turned out faulty trailer wiring had blown a brake light supply fuse - solenoid in the g/box then prevented the gear shift from moving - supposedly a safety feature......

Too long ago for me to remember but I dont think the fix wasnt a simple as replacing the blown bulb / fuse. This may not apply to your problem but if you are clutching at straws it could be a possiblility.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

The fuse was the problem. We never would have thought of this without the kind folks on RCM. He's got ACE moving company (all his friends) in high gear today.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:37:11 -0500, "Karl Townsend" wrote the following:

No, no, no. The -other- wheel. (just kidding, but stranger things have happened)

Next time, have someone chock the trailer wheels first. And tell him to keep his parking brake in order and to use it every time he stops the vehicle. It's good practice and might have prevented this incident had he done so. (Since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming.)

This time, pound a spike into the ground behind the trailer and winch the downhill load off the vehicle until it can release the parking pawl in the transmichigan. Trees might prove helpful

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If it ends up being the trailer that blew the fuse, then you might consider getting one of those trailer light converters with the built- in self-resetting breakers. I burned out a few fuses and a few converters before I threw this one in, and it's lasted about three times as long as the last converter I had before that, and I know it protected the fuses just the other week when my trailer developed a short (maybe I'll run the next set of wiring in pvc conduit?). Even if you don't need a converter, it might be worth it for the breakers.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

I just bought a circuit-breaker that replaced the fuse. I still keep spare fuses (belt and suspenders, ya know)

Reply to
RBnDFW