Stupid dog collar question - settle a bet

I was reprimanded for having Fritz the dog's chain (metal content) choker collar in a "9" configuration where I'm told it MUST be in a "P" configuration. WTF is the difference? I was told that the "9" could kill the dog. He's too old to eat so I don't want him killed. But if he steals my coffee again...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You attach the leash whereby it won't choke. One ring will and the other won't.

buffalo

Well, I don't see any direct confirmation on the web, but it looks to me like the P might be the right configuration if you your dog is a leftist (the default for right-handed dog owners?), and the 9 if Fritz is more of a right-wing pooch.

Here they imply that:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In the "P" configuration, with the leg of the "P" on the top of his neck and the loop of the "P" around his neck the chain slackens off under it's own weight thereby preventing the dog from being strangled. In the "9" configuration the links can lock against each other and prevent the chain from slackening off resulting in a dead pooch if not corrected promptly. Try it on your arm and you will soon see the difference!

*NOTE:* Choke (training) collars should be used for *training only* and not as a replacement for a 'proper' collar of leather or webbing. They should *never* be used to tie a dog out as they can either become fatal if put on in the wrong manner or the dog can slip them off if put on in the correct manner.
Reply to
Larry Green

He's too old to eat

Reply to
JR North

Crock pots work good

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

I'll second that. I have seen a few family pets that were strangled when snagged on a fence, bush, etc..

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Have you introduced your Vietnamese friends to the pressure cooker?

Reply to
clutch

Don't let Gunner eat Tho!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Wok for?

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

that:

Thanks for the link Spehro - I was wondering about that myself, as we have a young dog which is very resistant to going walkies under ANY sort of control.....we are hoping it grows out of it (and stops digging) its 5 months old now....thank god they grow up to maturity faster than kids..

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

that:

Andrew..what you need is a "prong collar".

They work well, are very effective and cause less damage to dogs than do the standard "choke chain"

While they look nasty..they really are not and are very effective in training your dog.

Btw..there is a series on the telly here in the States, called the "Dog Whisperer" that is VERY good. Ive put some of his pointers into effect and they work very well.

While the guy tends to self promote a bit..he has good reason.

Folks tend to think of dogs as 4 legged people..which is not true in the least. They are far more instinctive based..so you have to work from that level.

A lady friend has a dog, who she nearly had to have put down because of his issues. He is now a well socialized and happy dog, a pleasure to be around after she watched his shows and put the lessons to work with her dog.

This may help you a bit..shrug

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

that:

I second the prong collar. Our Border Terrier would do nothing but pull at a collar, choke or otherwise. He only needed a couple lessons with the prong collar and he was good to go with nothing more than his nylon web collar and a lease.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:26:38 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

It is funny, but years ago, when my niece was three ish, she was proclaiming she was a puppy. Which made a lot of sense, in a way: both puppies and small children are functioning in the Now, from an instinctual level, and aren't really "reasonable". the reality is, neither "knows any better", while the child will grow out of that stage, the puppy.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

that:

Thanks Gunner - will check it out. We are planning to get the "halti" style, just been too slack to find a store that sells them - saw them on a BBC(?) dog training program, worked a treat. Also saw the "Dog Whisperer" program - it works, I use the "totally ignore them when I go into peoples homes for a service call " thing she was on about. Works well.

Interesting though - I read the answer that was posted to Spehros reference, about the "P" or "9" configuration of the choker chain - this evening, did the "P" configuration as recommended. My wife came out, saw it, and promptly reversed it as she said it wasnt the way she had been told. I couldnt be stuffed arguing with her - too much effort.

So we went walkies anyway - I can keep hauling her back with the choker chain, my wife has probs though. At this stage, feel its important she (Shona the Dog, not Margaret the Wife) gets out, encounters other dogs, people, cars - went absolutely ballistic at two young guys on skateboards, so we stopped and had a chat with them. - they were fine about her, recognized her as being very young. They said that most dogs go right off at skateboards for some reason.....

True. But how come I can have a better conversation with the dog than some people? And the dog , in spite of its nuttiness, is easier to get along with....

commits suicide"

Andrew VK3BFA.

Q. How do you stop a dog from digging? A. Simple. Take away its shovel.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA