Blacksmiths must have had a fantastic Christmas :-)

This news feed has been sleeping - but I figure We in the group must have new toys and tools to work on! I know I do.
Hope all is going well with all of you -
Happy News Year as the clock turns !
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

Definately new toys ;-) ...and time to work on current projects! Too bad we can't be on vacation more often.
GA
Greyangel wrote:

Hope you all have the very best this coming year!
Conrad Hodson
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

No new toys for me, just work. Filling Christmas orders and making inventory for Houston has been keeping me out of beer joints and massage parlors.

To all of us, the same.
--
Tom Stovall, CJF
Farrier & Blacksmith
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

A few new shiney sharps, a Large Stack of Bills, thirty pounds of tax paperwork, one minor second degree burn, three metal splinters, and enough 'coal' to run OG&E for a month. And the downside? The company truck sprang a leak somewhere in the front of the motor, so I'm on foot again until the new year. Interesting Times, indeed.
Ho Ho Ho...
Charly
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:02:46 GMT, Charly the Bastard

I hear ya.. Christmas Eve we head down the road for the 30 mile round trip to fill up the water tank in the back of my truck. 10 miles down the dirt road and the driver side tie rod snapped. Only had to get out of the truck 3 times to pull the wheel out of the dirt and point it straight to get back home. The good thing was we wernt on the highway, it wasnt snowing and it wasnt raining. Oh sure water would be nice, but I'm not complaining.
Forger

You know, those dangged cowboys don't complain about anything but the gov't much. One I've know for 30 years only gripped about one thing really... when he lived in a place for a year or so where he had to haul water.
Are you planning a well? Planning to tap a spring or canyon?
Alvin in AZ
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:52:32 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Oh no, no well, this is AZ ya know. But I guess we can now get water at another place that is only 12 miles one way, thats not bad. We used to get water there but they froze up last winter, just heard they reopened. I really dont mind, we got a 2500 gallon tank that if full, lasts us for about 2 or three months. The truck tank is just a small couple hundred gallons.
Forger
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

I forget - how are those new water pipe lines called ? - spring or canyon pipes ? :-) Have to rent one of the clamp around / drill and tap / insert fittings things to 'add' to the pipeline at 'no cost to the owner' :-)...
I myself took delivery of a Foredom 1/3 HP flex drive, and for wood (had to get a replacement) a 6 1/2 " worm drive Skill saw. A few other toys, and like a prior author, a stack of tax stuff and letters to write.
Still waiting on the sale of this place so we can move into our new place and SHOP!
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:02:46 GMT, Charly the Bastard

Oh yeah, and the reason I'm online... Heard the coyotes this morning, they've taking an interest in the goats. So I run out with my Mini-14, see the coyotes running down the wash, take aim... no rear sight. So after calling around seems nobody has a rear aperture sight so I'm going to try to find Ruger's number and see if they still make them for my old pre-ranch model and can send me one.
Forger
wrote:> Oh yeah, and the reason I'm online...

How hard could it be for a creative individual to fabricate one?
GA
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:45:34 -0800, "Greyangel"

Where am I gonna find one of them? :) Actually I thought of that, and if I had the orginal as a pattern I'm sure it isnt more than an "L" shaped thing with a small hole on one end for the peep, and a threaded hole on the bottom part for the windage. But how big a "L" and where to drill the hole? I think Ruger will send me a replacement for free, and it looks from their website they dont supply help for SN 180xxx and before, mine is SN182xxx so I'm in luck, but unfortunatley Ruger is Closed till after the 1rst. So I dug out my 25-06 Varmit and when the coyotes come calling again I will "reach out and touch somebody".
Forger

Sometimes an hour, sometimes a whole day or more.
BTDT, I even have a 7/32-40 tap for the inserts too. ;)

I always like the sound of "twenty-five-ought-six". :)
A friend of mine is really into coyote hunting and described to me the the other day how well they can see in the dark... except on moonless nights, he's seen 'em bump into things. He has some pretty fancy night vision stuff. :) If a guy was anywhere near a city they could prob'ly see real well every night. :/
For 20 years or more, I've been wanting a coyote pup to raise, just never lucked into one somehow.
Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

We had one - a half coyote and half English Collie - a beautiful color black and white with long snout and long teeth. Skinny long legs.
The dog taught my son to walk as they were buddies to the max. He lived to a ripe old 17 years and never bit anyone or that. He guarded the house like nothing else, and if we took a weekend or day trip - he would guard, not eat. He would eat dinner once we got home and not before.
I think a mix is best, tends to take the wild out of them, but in instincts are all there. Eat when the eating is good, and just smile when no food is present.
Good luck - maybe a farmer or rancher will have a set of pups.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

It's wierd sounding I know, but my rancher buddies don't believe that dogs and coyotes cross. They actually worked at it some too. I don't -know- one way or another. :/
But what I want is a real one and if the sucker gets wild and leaves that's fine too... expected actually.
I had two Ravens once and they were sooooo coool! :) Left at about 7 months old tho.
My least-favorite wild animal pets are Javelinas. :/ Ever mess with them sorry suckers any? ;)
Alvin in AZ
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:02:19 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

I think yer rancher buddies might be mistaken there Alvin.
Forger

Might be. :/ Sure as heck won't be the first time for that, either. As soon as they -know- they'll change their minds tho.
You know how "common knowledge" can be, right? :/
I don't -know- one way or the other on the coyote thing. :/
I've sure as heck seen a -bunch- of dogs that were "sworn" to be part coyote and didn't see anything in the dog or its ways, to convince me. So... I'm still sittin on the fence waitin. :)
We'll soon know tho. :) They are working on dog genetics. :)
Also, I believe they'll find that man and dog were together "from the beginning;)". A stupid lazy guy like me and a good dog can feed more than themselves even today, let alone, a gang with a pack, back when. :)
What I mean by "from the beginning" is... way before 74K years ago when the Sumatra volcano exploded and reduced our numbers lower than 7500. (we're a bunch of in-breds;)
What do you think?
Wow... that area is still dangerous huh? :/
Alvin in AZ (100% atheist, not waitin on that, made up my mind;)

Well now there's probably lots of Coyotes in Arizona. Maybe they only mix with dogs if they're hard up? A coyote my neigborhood for instance is probably hard put to get laid but there would be no shortage in Alvin's neck of the woods. ...Just a thought.
GA

Might be. We'll soon -know- and I'll try to be the first to tell 'em too. :)

Coyotes come in the yard every night lately.
"no use all that food going into the land-fill might as well throw it on the ground... something will eat it, even if it's just ants or plants" -alvin
My Border terrier (wheaten, black face like "Something About Mary") I have now was raised 5 years in a house in Portland OR ...not outside on a ranch, fending for himself against at least 35 coon hounds (lion and bear dogs) let alone all the others, like Harry was.
He's more like Harry than any dog we've ever seen but he doesn't know what Harry knew. Took my new Border terrier over a year not to let the loose neighbor dogs and coyotes "grab him back". :) Heck, there for a while I thought he was going to get killed before learning that. :/ He's got it now tho, whew. :) There was no other way to teach 'em. :/
One of his traits, that I learned within a couple days of getting him... he bites and tears a 5/8" to 3/4" long hole, in the same place, high on a guy's calf, through his jeans, making it bleed enough that even with soaking into his sock, will still run down into his boot... just like good ol' Harry would. ;)
Only Harry's off-spring did that too, all other little dogs would grab the javelina's (or guy's) ankle. Not very effective. :/
In 10 to 15 minutes, Harry would have a boar javelina leaving a blood trail even dumb-shit like me could follow. :)
Harry was -the best- javelina-grabber in the state of Arizona and I ain't kiddin'bout that. :) If Larry Harley's "knife only boar hunt" would have been a few years earlier Harry would have shown 'em what he could do with them big hogs too. :) If you doubt any of that, you just haven't got Harry pictured quite right. ;) He couldn't help it, he was bred to be the way he was, (the world's best breed of?) a "feisty feist". :)
Same border the Border Collie came from. ;)
Alvin in AZ (I'm into dogs can you tell?;) ps- don't have any use for non-hunting dogs like pitbulls etc :/
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Messed with wild black boar - just about the same - nasty. They root up yards around the central coast. The population increased as hunting of them was not allowed and hunting with dogs a real no-no.
Javelinas will corner a man if given a chance.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn