suggestions for metal for tool shaft

for some wood turning tools, I was thinking something like chrome vanadium(spelling) because they use it in wrenches etc.

something that is shock resistant, vibration resistant, because I get a fair number of catches(when the tool digs in and the lathe pushes hard) and vibration resistant to prevent chatter.

thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

Chrome-vanadium alloys are indeed very tough and strong, but they're more than you need for wood turning tools. If I were making them, I'd use common oil-hardening (O-1) steel. It's easy to work, it's easy to harden, and it takes a very good edge. Its strength and toughness far exceed anything you'll need unless you really abuse them, in which case the grade of steel you use won't help.

My newest wood turning tools are just under 100 years old. They're made of plain carbon steel, and they have a lot of life left in them. Oil-hardening is better.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've made some wood turning tools out of shock absorber shafts - that works nicely. beware of high performance steels that are brittle - there is a much greater overhang therefore much greater bending load than on an equivalent sized metal turning tool. You may consider hanging out at rec.crafts.woodturning for a while, there are some folks that make their own tools on that list - and you may want to at least peruse Jerry Glaser's notes on sharpening in the tips section of

(I'm the webmaster, I can't remember if there is anything else on making tools there)

Reply to
william_b_noble

Since you talk just about the shaft, and no mention of edge-holding abilities, I presume you are mounting a cutting edge of some other material.

Use whatever you want for the shank. I don't think you'll find much difference in vibration-limiting qualities. Make it heavy.

The harder shanks will of course hold up better against the tool rests. I'd rather file the rest than the tool. But you won't need them too hard to be harder than most rests.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

its to be a shaft with a hole in the end to hold square hss bits, roundthewoods.com has a picture, its called an oland tool, I was hoping to find something I could make a thinner shaft with that would still stand up.

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

my favorite newsgroup

Reply to