Supply house for doodads

I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets, drive motors, vee pulleys, pulleys, etc. Something to make low rpm turning devices.

What is a good supply parts house for such things?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Find out where the local farmers buy their generic repair parts - a lot of that machinery uses bolt-on sprockets w/hubs , some uses belts for drive systems .

Reply to
Snag

I do a fair amount of such things.

Any good farm supply store should have a full rack of hubs, weldable sprockets, weldable pulleys, chain, V belts, and pillow blocks. If you need an odd shaft size with an even odder tooth count, this is the way to go. Pick a hub, pick a sprocket, weld it up. These will be stock #35, #40, #50 chain, 3L, 4L, and 5L 'V' belt. Not good for high speed or high loads but nifty. They also should stock the funny chain used for making conveyer assemblies. Stamped links, about 2" on center. Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm, Fleet and Farm, etc.

I had to get an account a Grainger because they seemed to be the only folks who handled motors, 4 step pulleys, and such.

McMaster is where I usually get th> I want to make some different contraptions. I need some chain, sprockets,

Reply to
RoyJ

rangerssuck

If its not too massive, old scrapped photocopiers are a good source of such stuff - low speed motors, big stepper motors, sprockets, chain, bearings etc. Lots of (semi-useful) electronics) And your nut and bolt tin will get a big injection as well...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

has a great selection, and is pretty easy to search.

TSC can be hit or miss, but if there's one near you, worth a look. Same with Northern stores.

And last but not least, eBay. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

surpluscenter.com

Reply to
Pete C.

These people are *great*!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey Steve,

Any bearing or industrial supply house should stock a variety of all that you mention.

Brian Lawson

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned McMaster Carr. In my view, easily the best vendor for all sorts of mechanical hardware. Their service and quality has me plumb spoilt. Order by 5:30 P.M. get it before 10:00 A.M. next morning. I average two orders a week.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Come on over to the homestead some weekend and bring an empty pickup truck

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I was going to come over and get some bar grating a while back, and we never connected. My BIL is bringing me some from Houston. But I would like to come and meet you some day, and bring a peace offering of a quart of your favorite beverage and an empty 3/4 ton truck. What might that beverage be?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Diet Mt. Dew, or a green Monster energy drink.

Let me know in advance and Ill put up a cot for you. It might take you a day or so to go through some of the Stuff...

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Reply to
Gunner Asch

RoyJ mentioned it yesterday...

Reply to