Surviving Nawlens

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:54:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Eregon quickly quoth:

OK, so chase it over, let it bite the jerk, THEN kill it. He'll be forced to take the painful set of rabies shots and you'll be the neighborhood hero for both shots. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you believe Elmer Keith (I do), he'd have had no trouble with a decent weapon in either caliber at that range.

John

Reply to
JohnM

75 yrds isnt all that far for a handgun. Lots of folks regularly shoot out to about 350 yrds with one. I plink ground squirrels with a revolver in .357 out to about 125yrds, then drag out the bigger handguns for stuff out past that. Now that Im getting older..sigh...Im having a hard time seeing ground squirrels over open sights past that far..so have to go to a scoped pistol.

And Hell yes...Elmer was for real. I met him several times. Rest in peace

Elmer Keith is my shepherd; I shall not flinch; He maketh me to reload with 2400. He leadeth me to large magnums: He restoreth my skill. He leadeth me in the paths of great white hunters in his names sake. Yea, though I load maximum with a pinch for luck, I will fear no blowup, for my S&W is with me; Thy strength and thy steel they support me. Thou preparest a magnum before me in the presence of my weaklings. Thou load my handgun with reloads, my recoil abounds. Surely power and recoil will surround me all the hunts of my life; and I shall hunt in the lands of my master for ever.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The 35 would be pretty good at that range. Not a lot of chance of a simple wound with that at that range. Though..a 44mag out of a rifle..Marlin 1894 would have been pretty good. 10 in the tube, one up the spout. I used to carry one daily.

I now carry a chopped and channeled #4 SMLE, with peeps, in the truck and around 100 rds of HXP on strippers for those sorts of thing. The pictures of Reginald Denny getting his skull crushed, will stick with me for a very long time. Aint happening to this old boy. And of course..I have my long time friend, the American Express (series 70

1911, 6 mags, 100rds of Gold Dots) tucked away in the truck as well. Having a California CCW is a nice thing. Plus my daily carry piece.

The 3030 is a decent Urban Assault Weapon in its own right, if you have ever read the FAQ I wrote many years ago, on the 3030.

Being on the road 5 days aweek, at the least 150 miles from home, working in 3 states, I tend to have the truck stocked for all sorts of emergencies.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Great stuff, "My recoil abounds", I love that.

Met him.. very cool. He was one of the good guys, no question about that. Well, no question among people who matter..

John

Reply to
JohnM

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

MY neighbor might be the SOURCE of the infection... :(

Reply to
Eregon

Rabies shots aren't anything to worry about anymore. My son and I had to take the series several years ago. (Whatcha get for being neighborly!)

It starts with one humongous shot of Human Immune Globulin that feels like you got a golf ball stuck in your arm. That's the worst of it.

The bunch of rabies vaccine shots are in the arms now and don't hurt a bit.

What I got a kick out of was reading the package inserts for the rabies shots. Seems they're extracted from the blood of hyper-immunized people in France. These folks are apparently so immune to rabies they could trade bites with rabid dogs -- and the dogs would lose. :)

Hmmmm -- could that explain the French playing footsie with Saddam, etc?

Reply to
John Husvar