Question about Sebastian lathes

Any of you guys know anything about Sebastian lathes?

Do any of you guys know what kind of spindle bearings a machine like this has?

Any info would be appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave August

down to the little glass oilers? If so, then it is probably a sleeve bearing of some sort, possibly Babbit. If the machine is a bit newer, it almost certainly has rolling-element bearings. I think that Sebastian had some connection with Sheldon at some point around the

1950's. The Sheldon page on Tony's lathe site says Sheldon MADE the larger Sebastian lathes - I can't explain the Cinci, OH label on the Sebastian, however, as Sheldon was in Chicago. If anybody knows the background on this, I'd like to know. (John Knox would have to know, of course.)

I have a late-model Sheldon R15-6, and it is a totally fantastic lathe!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon,

I haven't seen the machine in person yet so I can't say wether it has the oilers or not. It does have an AC motor mounted on top in the same fashion as that showing in the second engraving on Tonys sight, but it's obviously a much newer motor, the lathe is also on different (newer?) style legs so... I do have an e-mail pending with Tony to see what he has to say and I'm trying to make an appointment to see this one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave August

There's a Sheldon lathe group on Yahoo, and a John Knox who was the production supervisor or something like that knows EVERYTHING about Sheldon history, internal adjustments, weak points to be careful about, etc. If this info about the Sheldon/Sebastian connection is right, you will want to join that group.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson