Tailstock taper

Hi group,

My tailstock taper (no 2) has seen some hard work (and some bad work) over the last 40 years. I would like to clean it up but don't want to go to the expense of buying a special reamer. Any ideas how I could do this without a reamer?

Regards, Martin Perry

Reply to
Martin Perry

Beg, borrow or rent a reamer. There is really no other decent alternative.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Allmost if not impossible to do without a reamer. A reamer is well worth having. Try borrowing or renting one. Trying to stone or file out any burrs usually results in slight depressions which further reduce the tapers holding ability.

For minimal use a import reamer should do just fine.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

Take the quill out of the tailstock and mount on a lathe using a four jaw chuck. Set up a tool post grinder for internal grinding. You can grind the taper using the compound if it has enough travel. Or if the lathe has a taper attachment.

I have a Logan lathe that will need this and will probably do the above.

Gary Repesh

Reply to
GJRepesh

Like he said. Beg, borrow, or rent.

Or take the tailstock out, and walk it over to any decent shop to have them do it. They might not even charge you. Let them do it, though. Only borrow from someone you know.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research

Replikon Research researches replikons, which are self-reproducing configurations of non-living matter in environments that support replication, analogous to organisms living in ecologies.

Reply to
Doug Goncz

What would it take to make a reamer?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Ted,

How would I make a reamer?

Regards, Mart>

Reply to
Martin Perry

That's what I was asking hoping that someone who knows more than I would answer. If nobody does, I'll take a shot although I have never actually done it. I am thinking about it though.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Enco carries these:

Search for "reamers", about $26+, probably "import", probably very good quality (unfortuately). I had the same problem. After doing the trick with steel wool, emery paper, etc., mine cleaned up nicely, and measured up pretty concentric on my ancient Logan 10 inch lathe.

Thought seriously about making a new tailstock ram for it. After spending thousands (literally) on chamber reamers and rifle barrels, this old tailstock works just fine. Saving this project for when I retire.

Mike Eberle> Hi group,

Reply to
mikee

Before you get a taper reamer, try a little fine abrasive (valve grinding compound) and an old morse taper that still looks clean and straight. Put a even uniform smear along the length of the taper, and rotate it by hand. Don't get impatient, and quit when the grinding compound grinding marks are continuous all down the length of the taper.

Reply to
brownnsharp