Where are the fast growing areas in the US?

An aqquaintence of mine is single, and is looking to either relocate, or move temporarily to any part of the US, for work in the
construction trades. His goal is to make as much money as he can, then either start his own small construction business, or get training for some portion of the medical field, preferably one that does not involve too much contact with patients, such as X-ray, etc etc. No nursing fields.
Any suggestions as to which parts of the country are having building booms, or things of that nature?
He currently is considering taking a job on a factory ship in the Pacific, but is hesitant about that sort of job. The pay is fair, but the conditions may really suck.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Las Vegas. -- Cheers,
--Mitch

Yes indeed, another area with little natural water that we feel compelled to jam with as many people as possible. When the water finally runs out (currently projected for 2007) they'll have to build some massive canal to keep the sprawl and smog production on target.
In fact, some people would like to fill the western U.S. with people via elaborate water projects. Let's not stop until this country has at least a billion people! It will "create more jobs" you know.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com / If any other species behaved like Man we'd call it a plague.
SW Kansas has a shortage of tradesmen , builders etc and Medical people, added to a minor building boom currently under way????????????????????
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:50:46 +0000 (UTC), "The Rifleman"

So what are ya waiting for?
http://www.dod.gov/sites/r.html#recruiting
Hua! Richard Kanarek <g>

Gunner wrote:

Gunner, How about the whole California Central Valley? They seem to be standing up houses like crazy between Modesto and Sac a tomatoe.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

The boom area is bigger than that - goes all the way from south of Los Banos to the Marysville/Yuba City area. The population growth rate is incredible. A few years ago it was driven by the price differential between the CV and the coast, but now that the high tech bloom is off the rose, the CV growth is feeding off local changes like the new UC campus near Merced. I don't know how long the boom will last, but right now things are red hot.
-- Robert Sturgeon http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge
Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy and the evil gun culture.
Check out the Colorado "Front Range". This is the part along I25, just east of the Continental Divide. It has been building for some time, with no end in sight (famous last words). Southern Colorado is a bit slower, I'd look from Colorado Springs up to Wyoming. The section between Denver and Fort Collins might be a good bet. Loveland (just south of Fort Collins, different from the mountain pass) is getting a new hospital soon, both Loveland and Fort Collins have hospitals already.
Lots of local politics as the small towns try to grab land away from middle sized towns. A nice place climate wise, winters are pretty mild. Not much moisture, but Californians should be used to that.
We know just how much is happening there; that's why we moved from Loveland to rural Maine. We've got a house with 10 acres for sale, let me know if your friend wants to talk to my real estate agent.
Steve Smith
Gunner wrote:

| Check out the Colorado "Front Range". This is the part along I25, just | east of the Continental Divide. It has been building for some time, with | no end in sight (famous last words). Southern Colorado is a bit slower, | I'd look from Colorado Springs up to Wyoming. The section between Denver | and Fort Collins might be a good bet. Loveland (just south of Fort | Collins, different from the mountain pass) is getting a new hospital | soon, both Loveland and Fort Collins have hospitals already. |
I'll second that. Lafayette, Louisville, Brighton, Windsor, Ft. Collins, Loveland, even Greeley are doing right well just now, to say nothing of all the smaller towns along the way. Fairly mild summers, winters aren't too bad either. Besides we're, if not used to, at least resigned to Californians moving in.
TK
-- Cogito ergo bibo
San Diego. Can't find enough good constructors or medical professionals
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 06:46:50 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dann mann) pixelated:

Yeah, San Diego's North County is rapidly becoming a part of the San Angeles metroplex. (That's the city which encompasses the area between Tijuana and Santa Barbara, a 250x50 mile coastal strip.) I moved from there after Vista went from 14,000 people in '67 to 90k+ people in 2002. Yeah, move there! <shudder> Construction worker's heaven with a couple weeks a year of rain, 70F average days, and 40 nights.
--
Where ARE those Weapons of Mass Destruction, Mr. President?
----

It's mostly fueled by overpopulation but people like to call it "progress" because growth is all they know and they're too shallow to question its intrinsic purpose. And you can thank unbridled immigration for a lot of those numbers.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com / If any other species behaved like Man we'd call it a plague.

So why don't *you* do something to help alleviate the problem and off youself?
<plonk> <flush>
CC

Everyone is talking about housing, which is booming all over the place due to low interest rates. Wages are much higher in industrial and commercial construction which was hit hard by 9/11, but is now picking up nicely all over the country. Construction of small gas fired cogens was a booming field the last few years but thats over now. I'm sure you're aware of the boom & bust opportunities in the oil field, all indications are that natural gas prices will stay high enough to ensure a lot of oil patch and pipeline work, for a while : ) All of the building trades: pipefitters, ironworkers, millwrights, pile drivers, carpenters, electricians, boilermakers are looking for reliable, stable individuals with reliable transportation. If I was to recomend a course to someone with the goals of your aquaintance it would be this: pick a service of your choice, as was already mentioned, join as a reservise, either Nat. Guard or Active Reserve, and pick a construction MOS. Take that training down to the building trades union of your choice and join up. There he will get to go thru more training courses in the trade and safety than he'll have time to attend. Certifications are available (and required on many jobsites) these days in everything from driving a forklift to building scaffolding. Those certifications plus strong skills in the trade plus a good work ethic are a ticket to make money in construction. Carpenters, plumbers and electricians of course can work in house building as well as industrial & commercial. If one is willing to travel his opportunities expand of course. LA and the surrounding area has a lot to recomend it, many powerhouses, many roads, many buildings, many docks, wharfs and piers, and earthquakes too, mild weather allows outside work year round. Too much traffic and too many people but you didn't mention quality of life, just make as much money as he can.
JTMcC.

Cut a step off the process. Move to a booming area and start out with a handyman business or the like. I live in Las Vegas. People here have a ton of disposable income. That means they can buy things like maid service, yard service, repairmen, home improvement installers, etc, easier than a place where people don't have a lot of extra money. There is even a guy here who picks up dog poop and who does a huge business. I think he gets $10-$12 a call.
My point is this:
In my town, anyone who has ambition can find a niche. All you need is a vehicle, tools, licenses, and the drive to get up every day and get out there. Just be dependable, competitively priced, and honest. If you don't drink, gamble, or have other secret obsessions, you can live here as reasonably as anywhere. If you do these things, the town will grind you up into little pieces. Many people here make substantial livings cleaning houses, vacuuming pools, detailing cars, being handymen, and 1,000 other things that people need done.
As per picking a place to live, that is up to the person. Some people like the desert, some people hate it. Some people love the seacoast, others hate it. Some people like cold and snow, some hate it. You get my point. Be happy inside, because no matter where you go, there you are.
There is so much more on which to base happiness than money. I believe that the Department of Labor puts out statistics you are seeking, but am unsure what they are called.
Steve
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:07:55 GMT, the renowned Gunner

Phoenix, Las Vegas.
Fastest Growing Cities
Las Vegas is the fastest growing area in the nation, according to a Census 2000 report. Recent population growth has been greatest in the suburbs. The central cities in metropolitan areas averaged growth of 3.5 percent in the 1990s, while areas outside the central cities climbed 12.5 percent.
Metro Area Growth* Population 1. Las Vegas 83.3% 1,563,282 2. Naples, Fla. 65.3% 251,377 3. Yuma, Ariz. 49.7% 160,026 4. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas 48.5% 569,463 5. Austin-San Marcos, Texas 47.7% 1,249,763 6. Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, Ark. 47.5% 311,121 7. Boise City, Idaho 46.1% 432,345 8. Phoenix-Mesa, Ariz. 45.3% 3,251,876 9. Laredo, Texas 44.9% 193,117 10. Provo-Orem, Utah 39.8% 368,536
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
I like NV, IA, and ID the best. I'd stay away from Las Vegas, NV and Mesa, AZ, b/c long-term water shortages.
If you take a map of the USA, and draw a line from Denver to Houston to San Diego and back to Denver, you've pretty well captured in broad terms all the high growth areas in the Southwest.
That said, water is going to be a major issue in the Southwest, especially since the ruling elite wants to privitize water resources here in the USA.
Tom Welch
Hi,     Phoenix is growing fast, it just passed Philly in size. Lots of construction, and lots of medical opennings (and probably training).     Construction work in Phoenix in the summer is not pleasant. This summer one overnight low was 96! and that was with dew points in the upper 70's. Step out your door at sunrise to get the paper and it is already UGLY. Thanks Roger Haar