take apart small gearbox

HELP!! I'm losing my religion on this one. I have a small gear box out of my irrigation traveler that needs a bearing replaced.

Please look at the dropbox for these files:

I need to figure out how to remove an oil seal (part 6) on the end of each shaft to get at snap rings (part 5 and part 2) behind it. I haven't got anything out yet, but the oil seal looks like it was tapped in place on original assembly - I've got nothing to hook on to pull it out. Destroying it (oil seal) is OK, but how? Or am I all wet, is there a better way to disassemble this? A new gearbox only costs $482, OUCH!

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I've removed seals like that by simply skewering them with a small screwdriver through the wide part (away from the shaft) and levering them out.

This technique requires clearance behind the seal of course.

If you use two screwdrivers you can balance the force, and there's less chance of wallowing out the press-fit for the new seal.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I think you need to open the gearbox casing and get at the snap ring from inside. The exploded diagram shows the snap ring behind the seal, which suggests to me that it is intended to hold the seal against a recess in the casing. Is the oil seal a simple disc of rubber with a central hole slightly smaller than the shaft (if I recall correctly, this is called a Wilson seal) or is it more sophisticated? It looks to me that you have to dismantle the whole gearbox for this job.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I don't have it here at work to quote from, but the shop manual for my truck explains how to remove oil seals from the various gear cases and wheel bearings. I removed the front wheel bearing seals with a tack puller. Maybe a car repair manual would help.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

If this is a canned lip seal, drill and tap the metal housing in a few places and insert button or pan head screws to pry on. A couple mini rolling wedge bars are best for prying, and the metal housing is quite thin so you do need to proceed carefully.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The metod that I've used has worked well any time that I've needed to pull a seal where there is a shaft present. This method works for the common sheetmetal cup-shaped seals.

A small drill or sharp awl can be used to make a small hole in the face of the metal cup, then a sheetmetal screw can be screwed in, just a couple of threads. Pliers and a support block can be used to grip the screw, and lever/jack the metal cup out of the recess. A good pair of diagonal cutters such as Chan-L-Lock will grip the screw securely without damaging the cutter.

The main concern is to not nick the shaft, and hopefully not gouge the seal recess. Making the smallest hole needed for the screw that's chosen will insure that the screw thread will get enough of a bite.

WB ............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Thanks Ned,

I drill and tapped 8x32, then put two long 8x32 screws in and used them as jack screws, just pushed against ball bearing inside. It came right out. Done in time to order parts B4 store closes today.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ain't this just a *great* place???? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Try calling Kent Electric in Clontarf, MN (320) 843-2418

Ask for Scott Kent. His business is rewinding big motors for irrigation, but I'll bet he knows an irrigation guy that might be able to help you out. Tell him Don Foreman referred you -- he's my neighbor at the lake. Good guy!

Reply to
Don Foreman