Taking apart a large transformer

Erm. ALL electrical, and plumbing (aside from the soldered joints) copper for that matter, is better than 99% pure copper.

Hell Bob, if you have some, I'll gladly pay you $0.05/lb, and shipping too!

Tim

Tim Williams

Ken, I use my own perl script to index photos. Here it is. As for a starter motor, I think that all my motored stuff works well by now...

====================================================================== #!/usr/bin/perl

sub index_dir { my $dirname = shift @_; my $title = shift @_ || "\u$dirname"; opendir( DIR, $dirname );

print STDERR "Indexing '$dirname'...\n";

# system( "mv -f index.html index.html.old" ); # system( "mv -f full.html full.html.old" ); print "opening $dirname/index.html\n"; open( INDEX, ">$dirname/index.html" ) || die "cannot open index.html"; open( FULL, ">$dirname/full.html" ) || die "cannot open full.html";

my $prefix = " $title "; $prefix .= "$title\n\n" if $title ne "."; $prefix .= "Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge\n"; print INDEX $prefix;

my $intro = "$dirname/intro.txt"; if ( -r $intro ) { open( INTRO, $intro );

while ( ) { s/CURRENT_DIRECTORY/$ENV{'URL'}/g; print INDEX; } }

if ( !$with_pix ) { print INDEX "This is the index of pictures. Click here to see all of them at once. (takes a while to load.\n"; }

print FULL $prefix . "This is the full index of pictures. Click here for the filename list (fast loading.\n\n";

my @files = (); my @subdirs = ();

my $fn;

while ( $fn = readdir( DIR ) ) { if ( ($fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpeg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.gif$/i ) && !($fn =~ /^-/) ) { my ($dev, $ino, $mode) = stat( "$dirname/$fn" ); if ( $mode & 0x04 ) { # readable by world push @files, $fn; }

} elsif ( -d "$dirname/$fn" ) { if ( !($fn =~ /^\./) ) { push @subdirs, $fn; } } }

my $start = ""; if ( $dirname ne "." ) { $start = "Back\n"; }

foreach $fn (sort @subdirs) { $start .= " \u$fn\n"; } print INDEX $start;

foreach $fn (sort @files) { if ( ($fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.jpeg$/i || $fn =~ /^(.*)\.gif$/i) && !($fn =~ /^-/) ) { $name = $1; } my $text = ""; if ( open( ANNOTATION, "$name.txt" ) ) { while ( ) { $text .= $_; } close( ANNOTATION ); } else { $text = $fn; }

if ( $with_pix ) { my $tn = "-THUMBNAIL.$fn"; if ( ! -f "$dirname/$tn" ) { print "Converting $fn to $tn...\n"; system( "convert -geometry 20%x20% $dirname/$fn $dirname/$tn" ); } if ($text ne $fn ) { print INDEX "$text\n\n"; } else { print INDEX "\n\n"; }

} else { print INDEX "$fn\n\n"; if ( $text ne $fn ) { print INDEX $text . "\n\n"; } } print FULL "$text\n\n"; #print "Processed $fn...\n"; }

close( INDEX ); close( FULL ); closedir( DIR );

foreach $fn (sort @subdirs) { index_dir( "$dirname/$fn" ); }

}

$url = $ENV{'URL'};

$with_pix = 0; if ( @ARGV[0] eq '--with-pix' ) { shift @ARGV; $with_pix = 1; }

index_dir( ".", @ARGV[0] );

Reply to
Ignoramus28225

A small but vocal group of citizens in upstate NY is lobbying for a law which allows the shooting of people at campsites who spend an entire weekend burning plastic shopping bags. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I see. Thanks. I am curious, how do they make 1.2 FARAD capacitors that they sell for car music. It would seem that if they were made using the same technology, they would need to be like 250 times bigger than my capacitors!

Ignoramus28225

Cool, how do you use it, ie. where do you run the thing and with what parameters, I'm familiar with perl but haven't taken your script apart yet :-)

/Morten

Reply to
Morten

I run it under linux, in the directory where the photos are. I run it like this:

index-pix.pl --with-pix "Picture Index"

that creates thubmnail pages and goes through all subdirectories recursively.

Ignoramus28225

Reply to
Warren Weber

Kind of ashame to take it apart, there are probably a lot of tesla experimenters that would give eye teeth for that xfmr.

If you where close to me I'd buy it off your hands myself.

Reply to
Modat22

I dunno. I think that in reality, no one needs these things, a thought such as "would be nice to play with one" probably crosses minds of a few people, but not many of those actually want to acquire such a behemoth.

If you have a reasoned opinion otherwise, maybe you can suggest how I can try to find people who need it.

I live in Western suburbs of Chicago.

Ignoramus28225

This is Turtle.

Well if they are dry packs rip them apart.

Use a grinder on the welded seam and a hack saw on the coil packs. If you use a torch on the case you will get bad vapor from inside.

Check the capasitor out for being dry pack also . The same story for them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Post an add in your local bargainmart or do a web search for tesla clubs in your area.

If you where in KY I'd buy it, I've been looking for a good deal on a older pole pig transformer and pole capacitors for a couple years. Handy if you want to make a rail gun or shrink quarters.

Reply to
Modat22

i keep seeing reviews and raves about this naturalisproducts.com and organiconline.com.sg . many people are discussing in beauty forums and magazines have positive reviews on this . but this thing ain't new, its been around for 20 years! anyone tried can feedback to me on exactly how good it is?

snipped-for-privacy@raterenterprise.com can anyone help me please, am looking for the local distributor or any shop selling the naturalis range of skin and body care products, from this company

. looking for this urgently. for those who have not come across it, its some foodbased anti-aging products. i googled for this and received result showing its available at
i need this urgently but shipping from singapore will take some time, if anyone is distributing this please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@raterenterprise.com urgently. i have a group of us looking to buy this. thanks!

Reply to
zest_fien

Amateur radio operators are often into doing interesting things with electricity. Wiring up the cat....stuff like that. Maybe he could mention it in a ham radio newsgroup.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks. I will post pictures if I do rip it apart!

Ignoramus28225

Maybe you would be interested in my capacitors then.

Ignoramus28225

Correct. Large oil filled transformers could be flushed, decontaminated, and refilled with newer oils that did not contain PCB's. Usually this was NOT done, as a whole new transformer cost less. In a few cases. where specialty transformers were involved, it was done.

One example are the main power transformers in GG-1 electric locomotives (PRR, PC, Conrail, Amtrak). This is one factor that lead to their retirement. Most were scrapped, but a few went to museums. Most of these had the main transformer removed due to the PCB problem, and are now incomplete. A few had their transformers flushed so they could be preserved intact.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Hmm link doesn't work for me.

Reply to
Modat22

They make them thinner. Most electrolytics are composed of aluminum foil (possibly embossed, to increase surface area) wound in a spiral with a paper which holds an electrolyte. The aluminum is anodized and the aluminum oxide layer (which degrades in storage, and can be replenished by reforming the cap - taking up the voltage to rated value slowly) is the dielectric which holds the charge.

Your capacitors are actually higher in energy density than a low voltage type, based on the last size/voltage/energy comparison I did.

Tim

Tim Williams

Hmm those are nice, we should talk :)

snipped-for-privacy@bbtel.com

Reply to
Modat22

I might want those.

Can't say I have a use for the transformer though (even if I knew the ratings), it's just too big!

Tim

Tim Williams