Taking apart a large transformer

iron)
Heat
either
Doesn't
I can't imagine you'd have much advantage trying to sell the copper on ebay. You'd likely lose money on the deal by the time you paid for the listing. Look in the yellow pages for yards that recycle metals. When you find the right one, you should be able to sell the copper and the iron at the same time. It's not much money for the iron, but it will pay for the gas for your trip, so take it along, anyway, or ask them by telephone if they accept such things, and what they pay. It doesn't hurt to ask each yard what they pay. Some pay more than others.
Harold

That's a great idea, yes. If I go to a yard anyway, I will take the steel core. I might also browse what they have and find nice rolled steel pieces or whatever, for my future projects. It never hurts to know scrap yards.

Why not offer the whole thing to a scrap-metal dealer? When they melt it down they'll recover the different metals...

Yeah, remove any bolts, and start splitting the iron core segments apart (they are probably alternating meshed E and I pieces). Once you get the first few out the rest will come easier. I'd use an appropriately sized screwdriver and hammer...
Hey moron! The copper is considered "mixed" copper and is worth about $0.02 per pound, if he seperates it all.
IOW: they don't want it.
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message wrote:

Can I use this copper as a grounding wire?
If you mean bury it? NO! It is insulated copper probably!
Polysol insulation will burn off, Polythermaleze will burn off with a lot of heat, Formel insulation will probably not come off with any fire. These coatings are usually made to withstand severe heat in use.
You could use it for a long wave antenae or how about a lightning collector to power that 25W bulb for a few seconds with the $100K in equipment to catch that once in a lifetime strike?...LOL
Wind a huge Tesla coil on your roof and show the neighbours your nuts! (or drop your pants when they are looking)
Can't this tranformer be used by somebody to generate a second 120V from a single phase 120V inverter? It sounds pretty beefy.
BTW: once you knock the wedge out of the coil form the laminations will be easier to get out. This keeps them from buzzing until the varnish and other impregnations go into it.
wrote:

$0.02

No, I will use it as a grounding wire leading to the ground bar at my main panel.

What is that?

It has a lot of connectors. I ppulled another, isolation looking transformer (1:1) from the unit, will probably sell that.
This one looks like a multi voltage unit.

thanks for the tip!

Ignoramus22732 wrote:

I spent a multitude of hours as a kid taking stuff apart, including small transformers. (Dry types) Transformers are one of the least fun things to tear into.
With the size of the copper wire you say it has, it must have a high-amp output. Is it stepup or stepdown? If stepdown, it could possibly make a great custom arc or spot welder, or an electroplating supply.
Ken Grunke

Could not agree more. Pictures of both transformers (the big one and the isolation one) are at
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors/
I just uploaded them.

I have no idea if it is step up or stepdown, looks like it is for many things.
LOL. These are standard electrolytic capacitors and have no PCBs in them!
However the metal cans at the back may have. Careful with them.
wrote:

from a

$0.02
Wrong! It's worth over $1/lb, and any recycler will gladly accept it.
Harold
LOL...good luck with that one! We scrap surplus copper everyday in my business.

Speaking from the position of a guy that, as a kid, did one hell of a lot of copper wire recycling------that's how I made my money-------------------
For someone that claims to be recycling copper on a daily basis, you don't appear to know much about copper. *ANY* copper wire that is used for electrical purposes is electrolytically refined copper. It must have excellent electrical properties in order to be used, and also to be drawn successfully. It is by the electrolytic refining that copper attains that level of quality. It's also necessary for the refinery, for copper, as extracted from ores, is typically the carrier of other elements, many of which are valuable (gold, silver, platinum, palladium, etc.) and it is in the electrolytic process that they are recovered. It would be absurd, at best, to assume that copper wire isn't pure, unless it is alloyed to specifics for a given purpose.
If, in the process of making connections, the copper has tinned ends, the copper is used in the brass industry for alloying to their specifications, so the recycling market still has a keen interest in buying it. There is *always* a market for recycled copper, it is never worthless as you suggest. If you're not getting paid near market price, it's your own shortcoming that is preventing you from doing so. You're being taken for a ride and don't know it. Maybe you need to step up to the plate and get an education.
If you have anything in the way of links to lead me to information contrary to this, feel free to provide them. I'm not interested in your opinion. You've already shown us that you don't have a grasp on reality and don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Harold
You sure spent a lot of time trying to convince me you don't knwo what I am talking about...LOL
You obviously know nothing about scrap metals. The purity of the copper is not related to the price. It is the purity of the mix. Copper with anything mixed in with it or bonded to it is classed as "mixed copper". You may have to pay the scrapper to haul it away.

of
that
There
an
contrary

am
anything
have
Uh huh.
yawn.
Harold
Is there some particular reason you can't use the UPS as it was origionally intended? I bought a 14 kva unit on Ebay for $41 and after $125 for new batteries have unit powering my electronic assembly pick-and place machine at 230 VAC. I can pull the plug and the machine just keeps on running.
If it only lacks batteries, it is worth at least $50.
The input/output are changed by internal wiring plus software parameters.
Just wondering, Paul
Ignoramus22732 wrote:

as

1) I have enough UPSes and a few to spare, already (made 2,500 on a $45 lot of 28 UPSes and kept a few cosmetically bad ones)
2) This thing is a monstrosity.
3) It is missing the front control panel, likely unrepairable
I am mystified as to how they manage to put the windings on Toroids.
The Copper wire can be used as Grounding but you must check the diameter required against the load it is intened to Ground, this can be achieved by twisting many strands of it together of course (as with any other type of wire).
As for getting the wire off a laminated transformer in one peice, whew?
Most of my component stock is derrived from this sort of venture and that odd screw is very usefull to have around if you need one!

Mr Clarke wrote:

Interestingly enough, they use a toroid winding machine. A hoop is split to fit through the core. The hoop is then used as a carrier to wrap the wire around the core.
http://www.ruff-inc.com/toroid_machine.asp?prod=MINI-SIMPLE
Kevin Gallimore
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 00:42:37 -0000, Mr Clarke

This is approximately 3x8 mm rectangular wire. Huge cross section.

Yes, I also have a growing pile of old recycled bolts etc. Very nifty.