Thanks for help with rat - still trying

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:08:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ah! Part of your sig. Sorry

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Well I have to say you really lost me on this post.............unless your referring to GW, and Spike perhaps? Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

My father's been taking that for years. The downside is the need for frequent blood tests to maintain the correct level and the fact that certain dietary items can affect it's action (I never heard of vitamin K before he went on that stuff). Ran across an article the other day that said there's a new drug that's in the pipeline that is not affected by diet and won't require frequent blood tests. I think it's expected out within a year.

I leave out a tray of wafarin in my shop to keep the mice down. Had some make a nest in one of my drawers a few years ago. What a mess.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

Weighted base plate for stability.

Titanium trap arm for low moving mass and high closing speed. =20

Ultra-sensitive two-stage trigger.

Trigger locking switch for safe placement. =20

Precision ball bearings on all pivot points. =20

Oh, and springs strong enough to snap it shut in microseconds.

Closing dampers to give the bail a "soft landing" in the last inch of closure (adjustable) so it doesn't slice the rat in half. Also useful when demonstrating how a feather can set it off. =20

Down-facing bait basket to force the rat to squeeze below the trigger lever.

Rear guard cage to keep the prey from approaching it from the wrong end.. =20

Keep it in the traditional form though. No electronics beyond a simple "tripped" alarm. =20

How about it? This "Whispering Death" trap could be a functional work of art as well as an amazing conversation piece.=20

Doug Warner

I've been offering poison (small blue pellets, I believe they are the anticoagulant type) for over a week to this guy. He made them disappear from sight, but I don't think he ate them, since he still seems quite healthy. I was wondering why he didn't eat the poison, since it must be designed to be palatable to rats. Today, after my wife heard him in the closet where the clothes dryer is, I took a look under the dryer and found a large handful-sized pile of cat food. He's been banking the stuff, getting him through the dry spells. I'm more impressed every day with this rodent. After so many attempts on his life near the floor furnace, he seems to have moved to another appliance. Gary Hastings

Reply to
GaryH82012

Ted, I've had the same problem since my late 20's. I take .25 Mg. of Lanoxin, for the fib., do you ?? I started Warfarin about 4 months ago.

Eddy Wells snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Eddy Wells

Rats are beginning to demonstrate a resistance to warfarin and the doses in commercial pellets are kept low in case of accidental ingestion by pets or children. Most products do not advertise "one feeding kills" even for mice. In your situation, with cat and dog in the picture, more serious poisons are probably not the way to go. How about a classic loop snare? He's unlikely to have encountered one. Leave it set, baited, but untriggered until he gets used to the free lunch, then set the trigger and - sproing! An unwound steel guitar string would be a perfect loop. If you're soft hearted, you can arrange the loop to take him round the body for capture and dump him into a tall trash can, (with lid), for transport outa there. Pragmatist- "It won't fit? - Use a bigger hammer!"

Reply to
pragmatist

My wife takes Coumadin (warfarin) and the medication from Hell, Amiadarone.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Coumadin = warfarin?

Hmm. I've learned something new today!

Jim

jim rozen

Yup. It's an effective anticoagulant and quite cheap. But once a clot has formed it won't do anything about it. The new "clot buster" drugs can do that, but they are made from ovaries of albino Chinese mice or something (okay, I added the albino) and are quite expensive, AND have a high mortality rate. The choice is do you want to administer this drug within the first few minutes of a heart attack or stroke and either come out of it almost undamaged or die... or not and probably/possibly have brain or heart damage that is incapacitating. The cost (a few thousand $, IIRC) isn't significant compared to the cost of dealing with heart or brain damage. Of course if you're not within minutes of a good hospital, forget it anyway, you might as well take an aspirin and trust in .

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Correct. When my wife had her heart attack (bad bad one), she was 1.25 hours away from a hospital in a very rural area. The gal she was with, loaded her up with asprin, and drove like a bat out of hell to get her to one. The Drs said the asprin saved her life.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Try jellybeans. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Yes.

Good. For the present, it's the best protection against Bad Things in spite of the PITA factors. My wife knows someone who was paralysed by a clot getting away. Now he takes warfarin.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I had a friend years ago who had multiple health problems and was considering suicide. Her biggest fear was that she'd try to OD on her meds and botch the job, then spend the rest of her life as a veg. Told her the good news is that she had a script for Warfarin, the bad news is that it's the sort of death I wouldn't wish on a rat. Got her talking to some folks who convinced her the end comes too damned soon no matter what we do, no need to rush things.

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen