The "not invented here" syndrome

Ouch! Thanks for the correction!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

"Andrew Mawson" wrote: (clip) whereas wholly cows may occasionally (just perhaps) turn up in McDonalds ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have seen truckloads on the freeway that were wholly cows. Less often, I see loads that are wholly horses. Frequently they are wholly chickens, hay or scrap metal (returning to the newsgroup topic.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Harold and Susan Vordos" (clip) the threat of religion, keeps many people on the straight and narrow path, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If I had to become religious as punishment for a crime, I certainly would be deterred.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote: (clip) Certainly there's something missing in one's sole to be so lacking in feeling. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Usually a result of wearing shoes that are too stiff. This can have a negative effect on walking and driving.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Oh, they MUST! It's proper medical practice. Just as terminal cancer patients are denied access to heroin, on grounds that it is addictive. Or better yet, on grounds that is illegal.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I wish I could go to the auction with him. He finds really neat stuff.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

I imagine Edison was aware of tungsten, but there was no way to make tungsten wire when he was developing his carbon lamp. The process for making workable tungsten was developed about 30 years later and hasn't changed much since. The sintering step involves treating a pressed ingot of tungsten powder much like a filament - high current is passed thru the bar heating it to ~2600C in a hydrogen atmosphere.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Harod sez:

"> The one thing bleeding hearts always seem to forget is that the perp is

Yep ! Sorta goes along with Robert's Mad Dog Theory. You see a mad dog coming around the corner, foaming at the mouth, biting at everything in sight ! You blow his ass off without stopping to contemplate on whether he had a deprived puppyhood.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Ummm, yeah! My WIFE, on the other hand, would do nearly ANYTHING to keep me from attending such an auction! This might include tying me up and locking me in a closet until the auction ends. If she ever got a good look at all the stuff Igor drags home from these things, then she'd really get serious. I can just imagine if a semi delivered 30 pallets of miscellaneous electronic junk to our house one day, and just dumped it all in the driveway! Wow, I'd better not go home!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have only one problem with the death penalty. That is miscarriage of justice. People who actually commit the crimes that get the death penalty can be sent off with not a hint of concern to me. What DOES bother me, however, is the INCREDIBLY long list of people who were railroaded, in one way or another, into a capital conviction. The number of overturned death penalty sentences in Illinois and Texas, especially, seems to indicate something really wrong in the US justice system. A few of these were actual technicalities over evidence, but many of them involved serious police misconduct, fabrication or hiding of evidence, coaching of "witnesses", perjured testimony, etc.

If these kinds of "errors" were not RIFE in the system, then I would be in favor of capital punishment, and not have much concern about the nature of the execution of the death sentence, either.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I get plenty of flak from my spouse actually, every time it snows, especially. (because of the garage issue)

Ignoramus9260

"Jon Elson" wrote: (clip) The number of overturned death penalty sentences in Illinois and Texas, especially, seems to indicate something really wrong in the US justice system. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Didn't you hear George W. Bush deny that there were ever any erroneous death sentences in Texas?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I just finished a paper on Dec. 23rd, otherwise I probably would have guessed he was with Westinghouse. BTW, Elihu Thomson's story is pretty interesting. He was no Edison or Tesla, but his career spanned the entire development of the modern electrical industry, and he contributed quite a bit. When GE was formed his company was actually much more profitable than Edison General.

Reply to
ATP*

Gates has no competitors of any real import. If he did, we would all benefit.

I am glad he is here, I just wish there were more dishes on the menu.

buffalo

If it wasn't 32 years too late, and if I had known you were writing a paper, I would have suggested a series published in 1974 by _Electrical World_ magazine, called "Giants of the Electric Century" for research material. I wrote it. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I agree there have been WAY too many of these cases. I believe caused by the method of selecting DAs, where convictions are the "most important" item in an election campaign. In effect " to hell with guilt a conviction is what counts". And some police agencies going along with the DA. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Leo, your underline missed. :-) Are you playing the frustrated english teacher.? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:55:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

My fave prayer is "God, please protect me from those to whom you speak directly."

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's one of my problems with the system as well. Part of the problem is that there are empire builders, both in law enforcement and in the judicial system, most of whom are willing to sacrifice the life of someone else for their own betterment. Bastards would gladly see an innocent person die than admit a wrong doing. Once they make up their minds they have the right guy, they often refuse to change course. Although I am unable to cite anything, I recall not too long ago that a person that had been convicted and imprisoned of a major crime was exonerated when the real perp admitted to the crime. Didn't make any difference to the prosecutor. He was still guilty as far as he was concerned, and was working feverishly to keep the poor bastard in prison.

To avoid such things, each and every person responsible for the conclusion of life and death issues should face the possibility of imprisonment if convicted of bad behavior. Maybe then we'd see the right guy charged and prosecuted instead of a fall guy. I can see it all now---------"we got him", as they round up some hapless SOB guilty of standing in the wrong place for a moment, then it's off we go to the coffee shop for donuts.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Why would he lie?