the sexiest aircraft

You stole my thunder on this one. I have some movies of it (engine start, taxi, flight), IIRC, they came from a NASA (Dryden??) web site. There is a cartoon from the days leading up to the first flight; it depicts it just after rotation with the wings flapping - not to be missed!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Agreed, grrr

I even know where they would have sold it out of

Gary wrote:

Reply to
Brent Philion

A10

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

My favorite too! There is a local gent that has a restored P-51, it makes the hair on my arms stand up when it is running on the tarmac! He made a couple of LOW level, ( I mean LOW!!!, under 100 feet!), high speed passes, right over us, last time he had it out! Loved it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Ya memory doesn't! :-)

4 x 18 cylinder Wright R3350 Turbo-Compound engines.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The Avro Arrow. To appease our American friends our stupid government had it chopped up into little pieces. The design team went south.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Pretty hard to beat a Spitfire.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

In terms of performance sexy yes the SR 71 is it for me BUT: for just plain looks I'll still take teh P 38. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Ah! Another P38 fancier. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

In a "cute/Ugly" way yes. Sort of like the Citroen 2 CV is in cars. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Definitely. The P-38 is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Although that Beech Staggerwing can hold it's own in the looks department.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:17:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

Yeah, I like those Warthogs, too. Ballsy little beasties.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not sexy

Most character in anything modern Absolutely Its like a Donkey Compared to a bunch of racehorses

Modern aircraft... We go fast ....... and we go fast

A-10... I chew up the things that shoot you guys down and spit out the peices and if it DOES get a chunk of me i still fly home

On a personality side i'd say its the only modern aircraft with one.

Avro Lancaster Flying fortress Liberator

All fit in for personality

Pete C. wrote:

Reply to
Brent Philion

If you should ever pick up a used SR-71, and for some reason it doesn't come with a flight manual...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I don't know how good your imagination is but:

You see it coming a long, long way away when a lady hollers "There it is" and the entire crowd turns in the direction she's pointing. It's just a spot but it gets bigger; but very slowly. Soon you begin to wonder "How slow is this thing going?" Then it's almost on top of you, and it's going FAST ! And you realize how BIG this plane really is; it's HUGE. And you, and everyone in the crowd, turn to watch this huge black beast pass overhead. It's rumble fades as you close your mouth. Everyone watches while it dwindles and someone hollers "It's turning to come back" and before you know it here it comes again. Now that you know what's coming toward you you're even more awed. It thunders overhead and you turn with the crowd as it's exhaust sound suddenly changes. What you heard as a deep rumble now changes into a gigantic THUNDER as the pilot pulls it into about a 75 degree climb and punches it. You watch it climb, impossibly steep and fast until it shrinks to invisability.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The old guys called the liberator was the crate a B-17 came in. Lots of range and load, but any one with some time had those stress wrinkles on the fuselage sides. They couldn't take a pounding like the fort.

For sexy I'd have to go with the P-51. Although I've seen a Bearcat at full bore on the deck, and its sound is even better than the 51. I think it was the '60's before a jet came along that could beat the F-8F to 10,000 ft. Dad flew 39's, 40's (only for six weeks in Hawaii), 47's and 51's. His favorite for fighting, particularly low level, was the jug. His favorite for flying fun was the 39. I know, I know, it was supposed to be a dog, but he still claims it was wonderful to fly.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

jeez. made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and made my eyes teary.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

The A-10 is one stank nasty airplane... not to mention nimble and tough. It scared me a few years back when that clown made off with one. If he would have had bad intentions, he could have really raised some hell with it.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Bout time someone mentioned the XB70 Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller