the sexiest aircraft

the super connie L1649 had Wright turbo compound R3350 engines. These engines had 18 cylinders, two rows of 9 each. ON takeoff the horsepower was 3500 at max throttle setting. They used water injection and dual power recovery turbines (PRT's) The weakes t point on these engines was the PRT. They would fail in the air because of overheating or fatigue. If they had todays metal technology back then they would probably had run a lot better. The PRT was tied into the main crankshaft through a fluid coupling and the other end had the turbine that was driven by the exhust. The prts could recover up to thirty percent more horsepower from the exhust gases from the cylinders. There were three prt's on each engine.

My favorite sexiest aircraft is the DC-3. with wright 1820's on it.( they also came with P&W 1830's buy they don't sound as good) Its like a HD of the air. YOu can tell it by its sound. Single row of 9 cylinders each having over 200 cu in. displacement. They have been flying since the late 30's and are still a working aircraft.

John

Reply to
John

impossible to answer, i mean, impossible to say "this is THE most sexy aircraft" but... when you asked, and i ran it through my memory banks, what i thought of was a small picture i saw once in Sport Aviation magazine. it was a one-off italian all wood, i think mid engine rear prop low wing monoplane. i can't remember the name (if it had a name) and i haven't yet looked through my entire stack of Sport Aviation magazines to find the picture, but... (and it's impossible to deny most of the planes mentioned so far don't rate right up there on the top of the list) i thought this one was the most sexy because it had such smooth flowing lines AND because it was SUCH an early design. i can't remember now the exact date but it was early thirties when planes still looked clunky and blocky. i was awed they came up with this design so early. i figured it must be pretty much undeniable the italians can come up with pretty stylish and sexy designs. oh, maybe i should add, i think it had cooling problems (being mid-engine) so, maybe i should say, sleek design but maybe not entirely practical (but, maybe that's part of the definition of "sexy"?)

b.w.

whoa! i just had a faint memory tingle that it was a "bugatti" and did a google search ("bugatti airplane"), that was it. holy shit (!!!) this plane is MUCH more incredible than i ever remember it looking (the picture i saw was before restoration) i revise my opinion, this IS the most sexy airplane ever (er, i mean, ESPECIALLY how early it was.)

on the links at the bottom for more pics)

William Wixon

Little?

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Easy. Whichever one you're flying in _right now_ !

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

...and this rates as just about one of the *funniest*:

(Very low pass by Spitfire, with *enthusiastic* commentary)

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

Littler than the T-72's they crack open like tin cans

Reply to
Brent Philion

Reply to
Brent Philion

With a GAU-8 30mm cannon firing at 4200 rounds/minute. I'm sure the Iraqi's that encountered these in combat said "Boy, now I'm really fuc*ed"

Mike E.

"Pete C." wrote:

Reply to
mikee

NASA flys the SR's now - over poles for hole measurements... One or all are based in San Jose - at the NASA site there.

When I was living on Kwajalein - mid pacific - we had a U2 land in a fast way. The place was under security - after I talked to the pilot!

He was on a run and caught in the side of a Typhoon. He thought it might happen and had several possible landings. Only problem - one time shot and 1000 miles apart. He was a good pilot! He went out on a C-24 bumble bee wings off and down the throat of the plane.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Dave Ly>>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Satellites orbit or 'sit' in the wrong spot. They are hampered by clouds and sun spots.

There are times when man needs to be there with eyes, camera and with Radar.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Brent Phili>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

X-1 and the Pogo Stick

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Not sexy? A big honkin' gun with two big balls at the base designed to do nothing but f*ck...up whatever it's pointed at?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Old planes -

I liked the B-36 pusher myself. Props and turbo jets.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Tom wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What was it - Treaty - that has been an issue world wide (almost).

Treaty this treaty that.... Salt's put all of the work my dad did in the trash

- or the reason - the main units of his design are owned by NASA. But now we need what we had. Such is life.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

This is troll bait, but I can't resist.

You fellows are philistines, with your big jets.

AH-56 Cheyenne- a pretty aircraft with a mean streak.

DeHavilind Vampire- for lovers of the exotic

OV-1 Mohawk- now _there's_ a piece of tail. Widowmaker, of course, but captivating.

Grumman Widgeon- You have to love a beach babe.

I have to face it. I'm aeronautically promiscuous.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

not by a long shot, pilgrim.