TIG Torch wire

Hi! I'm not familiar with TIG welding machines and I just bought one.

Is the wire used in TIG torches really thinner compared to those used for Stick welding?

Reply to
moreairguns

No. It just looks and feels that way.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The torch lead can be much lighter on a water cooled torch as the water flow prevents the the cable overheating normally, I say that as I have seen one turned up too high and the lead smoked and melted and had to be replaced, that surprised the kiddy as he was welding away and started wondering what was burning.

Reply to
David Billington

Okay thanks.

Can I replace only the wire with a thicker one? Or should I replace the whole torch assembly?

Reply to
moreairguns

Can air cooled torches be easily replaced with a water-cooled torch?

Reply to
moreairguns

David, The conductor from the machine to a TIG torch is not considered replacable, since it's crimped inside of the gas hose. (It should be called Argon cooled, not air cooled.) In reality, yes, they can be fixed, assuming you have the time and tools. If I remember, you have to cut the crimp ring that holds the hose in place, and then separate the wire crimp.

But, there is something wrong here. If the conductor is broken, I can see trying to fix it. But if it's melted, from too much current, then the hose is shot also.

I put a water cooled torch on my machine, (which had an air cooled). Wasn't much trouble. The conductor is in one of the water lines, so I needed to connect all the brass adapters together. I built my own water circulator, from ebay parts. DJ

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

Hi!

Thank you for your inputs.

I have another question regarding the TIG Torch... there's a button on it.

Is this button used to control the amps of while simultaneously welding or is it just an ON-OFF switch?

Reply to
moreairguns