Tiny engines

I'm seeking a small engine that can drive a generator. By small, I mean in the 12"^3 range.
It must be 4 cycle as it will need to run on propane.
It will drive a 13.8V generator, or 120VAC, say 800 watts.
If H-F Item#63025 was 4 cycle, (and it was un-junk....) that would be ideal.
This to fit aboard a sailboat for stationary power/starter battery recharging.
Of course, if instead you have a Diesel in that size [Ha!], speak up.

Like a Honda EU1000i with a propane or tri-fuel conversion kit?
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 00:51:21 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

Will this work? How many horsies does that genset take? https://www.harborfreight.com/3-hp-79cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69733.html It appears to be a 4-stroke with a 5/8" shaft. 11-3/4 x 12-1/4 x 11-3/4 fits your size requirement. Ball bearing crank, cast sleeve, seems un-junk to me, but I've never even seen one.
Do you already have a nice solar panel for your yacht?

Would be nice, huh? I'd build a motorcycle with one since I don't have a boat. (Shut up, Gunner. I don't need one. ;)
A Zero DS or Hayes Kaw Diesel would make me happy. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/specs.php http://www.trucktrend.com/news/0604dp-100-mpg-diesel-motorcycle/ Solar fuels the former, stored diesel the latter.
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.

I thought you might see that. <g>

He said "charge the battery", not "battery bank". I was thinking a simple 80w for LED lights, radio, and laptop. One battery ought to handle that. BUT, if he had a larger boat, solar panels could be utilized to replace the sail while the batteries replaced a significant portion of the ballast. VBG.
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.

That depends on how many watt hours he needs. with 8 hours od sunlight and a tracking panel sysyem he will get a MAXIMUM of 1160 watt hours of power from the panels - so 1150 watt hours out of the battery if he is very lucky. That is 800 watts for about an hour and 15 minutes. Yes, he can get more out of the battery, but the battery will not recover it's charge unless charged with more than the 145 watt panel, or charged for a few days with no load.

There are several multifunction DC wattmeters available to monitor the system's condition and performance. Unfortunately I haven't found one that does everything necessary. The ones which are powered by the system battery measure current with a ground-referenced shunt and read only shunt voltage higher than ground, ie they display current of one polarity and ignore the other, so you'd need two to show both charge and discharge current. They can be different, one matched to the higher voltage and lower current from the panels and the other sized for the maximum load current out of the battery.
The type that measures current in both directions with differential inputs needs its negative supply to float below the system negative, meaning they require batteries or a separate isolated power supply, like a cheap obsolete miniUSB phone charger. I've suggested to DROK that they should offer an isolated 12VDC - 5VDC converter for meters that need it. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
The low-cost analog panel ammeters aren't too bad. (Amazon.com product link shortened)05774074&sr=8-14&keywords=analog+ammeter+dc&refinements=p_89%3Auxcell
I have only more accurate digital meters on the batteries.
-jsw

It has solar panels now, but with not enough sun, the battery soon succumbed. Given you can't push-start a sailboat, this caused a major issue. Especially since we had no car available.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:30:11 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

Ayup. Consider adding a wind turbine to your mast, too. And definitely consider the noise before purchase. While you're docked in a marina, a loud turbine could keep folks awake.
What size is the battery? If you simply drain the battery daily, it will die quite a bit more quickly than if you only drain it 20%.
What is your watt usage? Is it a set amount daily, or not much today and heaps tomorrow? Can you plan your usage around the battery?
What devices are you using on the system? Are they optimized for mobile use?
Have you converted to LED and/or CFL lighting to save watts?
What size panels do you have? Solar panels still put out energy without direct sun, through the overcast, but they don't put out nearly as much.
And how can you order up more sun?
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
writes:

I haven't found anything less than a foot long. Perhaps you could belt a car alternator to something like these: https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/small-4--stroke-engine.html
-jsw
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:31:58 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Something like this, perhaps??? http://snyder.on.ca/pages/Old%20Engines/iron_horse_501_engine.htm
writes:

Nice job! I have a slightly newer Briggs & Stratton model 6BS, on a Hahn Eclipse Rocket reel mower.
I try to suggest currently available products as old stuff like most of my machinery is hard to find and may have antique value: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/222647289470?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Any similarity of this place to a museum.is purely coincidental. -jsw
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:50:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Beautiful! At about four years old, I remember discussions about how to hook up an exhaust pipe to the one on my aunt's washing machine. The discussion degraded to how the exhaust system could be applied to my Grandmother. I wish I still had some of the motors I collected over the years then donated to numerous nephews as power sources for go-karts - small B&S with both vertical and horizontal spark plugs, Iron horse like yours, Muncey outboards, Evinrude four cylinder 5HP (cylinders fired in pair) outboard that I bought for five bucks in two cardboard boxes, a couple of English "Suffolk Supreme"engines from reel mowers. Ido have the 3HP Johnson that Dad and I bought new for $150.00 in 1954, must get it out of the shed and get it running, It only has around 200 hous on it and hasn't been run since 1981.

Will you ever learn the difference between watts and watt-hours? Nope. Yet you're convinced you're qualified to give advice!
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 00:51:21 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

If you meant 12" x 12" x 12" then possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_z4dzVBZ1g
or one of the small Honda generators which have a good reputation but aren't exactly cheap. There is also a "Robin" look alike that is cheaper but I don't know the quality.
Depending on the size of the boat you might look into solar panels. I used them on a 40 ft. boat for a number of years and while they didn't supply all the power I used they did prolong the time between battery charges :-)
As an aside, all of the really small generators I've seen had a "hot exhaust" and shouldn't be used in closed quarters.
--
Cheers,

John B.

The ROBIN motor is made by Subaru and sold as a Wisconsin,
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 00:51:21 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

Briggs and Stratton 800 or 900 series engines. Northern Tool carries them. 8 ft lb torque, so 5.4HP at 3600 RPM.
$260 for the 800 series, $350 for the 900 series 6 HP (9 ft lb at 3600) The Honda GX200 is another option - $429 at Tractor Supply.
Tose are 200-205cce engines - or 12 cu inches, which I believe was your specification.
The GX160 is the 4HP honda 163cc. The Briggs 550 series is 127cc 4hp.

Parts to adapt and modify Honda GX160, GX200 and Harbor Freight Predator 212 engines are readily available: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/clone-engine
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t $215
My Predator 212 engine has split two cords of firewood and cut two oak beams on my sawmill satisfactorily. It's easier to start and vibrates less than a Tecumseh OHH55. My only complaint is that I have to remove the gas tank and unscrew its outlet fitting to fully drain the gasoline before long term storage.
There are lightweight sub-kilowatt generators out there, I have an old Kohler 500 Watt PowerPlay (loud 2-stroke) and Honda made an EM600. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-EM600-Generator-With-Manual-/391889309504
I don't know how good the current production models are. http://www.powerhouse-products.com/powerhouse_product/500wi/
500 Watts is enough to charge a 12V battery at over 30 Amps, if you can find a suitable Variac and transformer to build the charger.
-jsw
On 18/09/17 01:51, David Lesher wrote:

Yanmar do the L40 which is a 4hp (12cuin) diesel and I have one on a mixer, works well. I think the Chinese do a knock off of them.

Noisy buggers though!!! we were going to put one on a generator on little brothers semi to run heat and air etc on "overnights" instead of leaning the main engine run, but they were WAY too noisy and way too rough running to sleep through - - -