Tool Gloat

It's ultimately a thermal limit. Torque will also be reduced.

This whole scheme rests on the observation that used oversize 3-phase motors are cheap, so one can afford the necessary overkill.

So, run it at 1/2 to 2/3 of rated load, and be happy. Note that this is the actual load, not the max the metalworking machine will allow - HSMs rarely load their equipment to the levels of production machines.

Not directly. The point is to understand how motors work.

The best source for information on driving 3-phase motors from single-phase supplies is the patent literature.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Hi Joe

I realize that you are trying to be helpful, but I dont want to study motors in general. I would like to get Data, or some technical information that defines the reason that 3 phase motors can deliver only 2/3 their name plate rated HP. As you might have noted, I have conducted a rather extensive project here to measure and record HP delivered by 3 phase motors connected to single phase. Since my data shows that there is no justification for *me* to state that a 3 phase motor needs to be limited to 2/3 its name plate rating. When guys like Spehor post -- I listen!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes