tried to machine titanium

I figurered out a long time ago that earning a living wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Which is why you haven't earned one in decades.

Cites? indeed fascinating "I've not" buffoon "hold that thought" backhoe "the list" cull 264mph "3/5/8 years street cop" "800 meters" swingers leftists

Reply to
the late Marie Therese LaBourgeois

A Sherline is a good start and AFAIK does what it is meant to. However when you bang up against its limitations it's time to think about a larger machine instead of fighting its inherent weakness.

Unfortunately I don't know of a better currently available hobbyist lathe to step up to. I bought old American iron with its problems of scarcity, wear and abuse. My first lathe, a 6" Sears/AA, was NOT a good choice due to its easily bent 1/2"-20 spindle nose.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Engineering R&D was being paid for what I'd do for fun, but once I succeeded the job was over.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a 1938 Bridgeport round-ram that I converted to CNC. I make parts that are exported all over, as well as sold domestically. One of my major customers is L. S. Starrett, they use my servo amps in their high-end Force Measurement Systems. I don't even want to KNOW how much they get for those! (The part I make for those servo amps is a mounting bracket, machined 1/8" aluminum, bent and then rigid drill-tapped on the Bridgeport.) The rest of the servo amp is a printed circuit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You're confusing me with somebody else.

Well hell, I have a sherline and it makes the parts I need just fine too.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I have the Unimat 3 which resembles an actual lathe since it has a cast bed with V ways.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Perhaps that is gunner's secret.

If you never succeed then the job is never over.

Reply to
The Mighty Ant

Likely a far more respectable career than being a lifetime loser.

Hmmm.... "Weeber the Lifetime Loser" certainly has a certain ring to it, doesn't it. Descriptive too.

Reply to
The Mighty Ant