Trouble with Albrecht chuck

I have an Albrecht "self-tightening" chuck that self-loosens whenever I attempt to use it on my Bridgeport. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using very small drill bits (number 55, for example) and center drills (number 0) - could that be the problem?

I've tried two Albrecht chucks: the first I bought on eBay ( it was listed as new, but I couldn't be sure about that); the second I bought brand new - they both exhibit the same behavior.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

George

Reply to
George Woodzell

What size is it?

Are you running it counterclockwise?

Albrecht chucks under 1/2" capacity are supposed to be able to handle at least as small as a #80 drill.

DOC

n Feb 11, 10:01 pm, George Woodzell wrote:

Reply to
doc

I had the same problem, and I damn sure wasn't running mine backwards. I gave up on it and now stick to Jacobs keyed chucks.

I've heard, though, that if Albrecht chucks are releasing they need to be rebuilt.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Contrary to the opinions posted, a 1/2" Albrecht isn't expected to hold small drills. You may notice that the accepted range is marked on the hood----1/32"-1/2". Smaller Albrecht chucks work fine for small drills.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Does it open when you switch on the spindle? Then the motor is running up too fast.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

One of Lautard's 3 BSMR has instructions on disassembling of Albrechts. Don't remember which one :( - but it is prolly worth looking, NPI, inside of the problem :)

Reply to
rashid111

I found the disassembly instructions on the Albrecht website. The catch was that I had to make a special tool to grab the body securely, so enough torque could be applied to the hood to unscrew it.

The tool is a square piece of 0.250" thick aluminum with a hole bored in it 0.001" larger than the body, and a radial slit cut in one side, so the whole assembly could be clamped in a big vice.

Then a big plumbers strap wrench (made by Ridgid) was able to unscrew the hood.

According to Albrecht's instructions, this is how they do it at the factory.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Thanks for your responses. The spindle is rotating clockwise - drills held in a Jacobs chuck work fine.

As for the capacity of the chuck, I assumed that the range stamped > >I have an Albrecht "self-tightening" chuck that self-loosens whenever I

Reply to
George Woodzell

when the jaws get worn, this is where you see it. I have found the brake on many bridgeports not up to the torque required to tighten a albrecht correctly. I usually throw it in back gear

Reply to
yourname

Greetings George, I have been using Albrecht keyless chucks for 33 years. I have never had a problem with them losing the grip on a drill. Sometimes when power tapping large holes they will let go of the tap when reversing, but that's expected. I suggest that there is something wrong with your chucks. When you put the small drills in the chuck how much force do you use when tightening? If the chuck is not tight enough they will sometimes loosen when the spindle is stopped with the brake. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I've repaired a couple used Albrechts that released too easily. Another symptom was that they felt springy when tightening. In both cases the fix was to degrease all the parts and reassemble, applying grease only in the proper places, per these instructions.

It's easy to imagine getting oil into a used chuck and causing problems, but I'm also surprised the OP is having problems with a new chuck.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

whenever I

running up

It'll loosen if you run in reverse - have you got the spindle going clockwise?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It *should* close, but the jerk can open it even when spinning up.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Whom are you calling a jerk? :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

One of the issues with those quality chucks is users.

How many times have you seen a hand drill use : stick in the drill, grab the chuck and pull the trigger to tighten the chuck. This makes the chuck kink or bend within.

One should hand turn to tighten tight then drill.

This might have been done to the chuck. Perhaps it is just dirty! look deep inside and clean. Might be simple as that.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

George Woodzell wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I'll take a careful look at the chuck, although, as I mentioned, the second chuck I tried was brand new - it went right from the Albrecht packaging into the Bridgeport (that's no guarantee that the thing is clean, I'll admit.)

Thanks for the idea.

George

Reply to
George Woodzell

According to George Woodzell :

Some years ago there was a discussion here which finally settled down on the spindle winding up a bit when first started, and then, the chuck body overshooting the spindle speed loosening the chuck.

The other was when taking a heavier cut than you are doing, the spindle would wind up a bit (Perhaps spring in the belt drive among other things, and then overshooting and again loosening the chuck.

Do you have a way to spin the spindle up more smoothly? Perhaps a VFD which can be told to ramp the speed up more gently?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yea. That wasent very politically correct. :-)

A= dV/dT Impulse=dA/dT (Jerk) :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick