Sears Tools

I recently purchased the Sears "Professional" Lithium batteried driver drills. I purchased two because I was in the process of erecting a metal building. The batteries and charger worked good but the keyless chuck on both drills exhibit what I call "Auto Loosen". I have several other keyless chucks in my shop and none of these exhibit the same characteristics. I called Sears Customer Service to complain and they told me to visit my local Sears dealer. The local Sears dealer told me to call Customer Service. Whoa!! I've been a victim of that before. I will now look for my tool requirements somewhere else.

Stu Fields

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

On Nov 16, 4:15 pm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote: >The batteries and charger worked good but the keyless chuck on

Exactly what did you want to happen. Neither the local dealer or customer service can really fix the problem if all of that model have chucks that loosen while being used. You might be able to convince them to let you return the drills as defective, but I don't think there is any way you are going to get a drill that is better.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

SKF:

Perhaps a polite letter asking them if you should take the issue up with the Consumer Products Safety Commission or other appropriate regulatory agency will help. Appeals for the involvement of outside authorities is the only way I've ever obtained Sears' attention in such matters.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Of course there is a way to get a better drill -- buy a Bosch, Makita, or Milwaukee.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't forget, you can make your own (much stronger) by killing some hydrochloric acid with a handful of zinc. (I presume you have zinc lying around if you're galvanising stuff.) Otherwise use scrap galvanised steel.

Cheers

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:C%k%i.5642$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net:

The drill isn't the problem, the keyless chucks are. I have yet to find a keyless chuck for a portable drill that works worth a damn for very long. We've tried several brands, including the high dollar carbide jaw jacobs, all would probably do fine for home, non-professional use, but they just won't stand up to the all day, every day work environment. Buy a good quality keyed chuck and be done with it. We've got 2 crapsman cordless drills that work all day every day and they have been around since '02, the chucks lasted less than a week though.

Reply to
Anthony

Haven't had a problem yet with the keyless chucks on either my Bosch cordless, or my Makita corded, despite heavy daily use.

Hmmm.... maybe it's you?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I bought the 19.4 volt combo kit from Sears. My electric drill does the same thing and it is very frustrating. I've lost several bits because of it happening when I was on top of a ladder.

Bill Longyard

Reply to
William Longyard

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Bill: I've now in the habit of carrying as many as three extra drill bits if I'm operating on the top of a ladder or some inacessable location. I used to buy a lot of Sears tools, kitchen appliances etc. but that has now come to a screeching halt based on the "bump the dummy" response I got when I tried to file a complaint.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

I've had problems with keyless on Black and Decker, Ryobi, Milwalkee, Dewalt and Makita. The Dewalt went the longest.

And if your hands are grimy and sweaty keyless truely suck. (Not locating the key to be fair sucks too.)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Years ago I purchased a 3/8" variable speed reversible hand drill from Sears. It lasted about a week. It was returned, but I was advised to take it in for repairs. I insisted I couldn't wait for ten days, as I was in process of building a house and needed it immediately. I was provided a second drill by the store.

To make a long story short, this was repeated twice more, so when the third drill died, I returned it to the store and demanded a refund. I added some money to the refund and purchased a Black & Decker, identical characteristics as the Sears model, but more money. I am still using the same drill motor, but I have replaced the power cord once.

I no longer spend my money on power tools from Sears. It's obvious to me that the only difference between their products and those from HF is the price. If I must settle for inferior quality, I insist the price be in keeping with what I receive.

I recall that Sears was a quality operation dealing with quality merchandise when I was a boy. How things have changed.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Sears was never a "high quality" operation. But they did sell decent quality goods at fair prices to what I call the "advanced amateur" market, i.e., farmers, gas stations, etc.

But now Sears is owned by K-Mart...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:34:55 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "William Longyard" quickly quoth:

See the Wreck (rec.woodworking) for long notes on the ARHA feature of Crapsman routers. That's Automatic Random Height Adjuster, including quick release when the router bit, spinning at 20kRPM, comes out of the collet. Crapsman tools are exciting!

Note: Please don't confuse this with the AHRA, or American Hot Rod Association, a group with a valid function in this world.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Indeed! The circular saw, scroll saw, router, and belt sander that I bought 30 years ago have never been any trouble and are still in use.

There is still an urge to buy Craftsman, based upon many years of good experience (in college, I went to Sears and bought Whitworth wrenches off the shelf!). Occasionally I lapse and buy there, only to regret it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:BFp%i.3344$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

This is an industrial environment with mulitiple users.

Reply to
Anthony

If the returns are high enough, they will eventually quit selling that model.

Your best bet is to replace the chuck with one that uses a key.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Sears used to offer around three steps of quality/price in their power tools (20+ years ago?). The higher end stuff was identical to Black & Decker Industrial and I suspect that was who made them for Sears at the time. Sears had some good power tools, but you had to do your homework first and then watch for a good sale price. The good stuff wasn't inexpensive.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I also have a belt/disc sander and a horizontal band saw of the older Crafstsman pursasion that have held up with minimal problems in excess of thirty years. But the "Auto Loosen" of the keyless chuch on their "Professional" grade driver drill is frustrating. I wonder if this is just an omen of the further down hill slide of Sears quality.

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields