generac 5244 DOA

I have just installed a Generac 5244 generator. I bought it from a dealer that does not service in my area (I know, I know....).

I hooked it up (and made absolutely sure everything was done according to the specs...)

About two hours into the break-in phase, it failed. The windings apparently failed (according to a service tech I talked to on the phone). The breaker on the genset never tripped, and I had a Fluke Clamp meter on it the whole time. It is a 16kw LP and 15kwNG unit. I never got above 7.5kw. The generator produces no AC output, and in the bottom of the unit there are pieces of copper wiring that have apparently been burned off.

I live in an area hit by hurricane Rita last year, and the local Generac service people I have had contact with have waiting lists of up to 6 months. The only company that has agreed to take a look at it wants a credit card on file for trip charges ($75 and "fuel surcharges" just to take an initial look at it) and estimates it will take 6 weeks to get it operational (2 weeks to make the initial service call, part needs to be sent to Generac, tested, sent back, schedule follow up).

The dealer, who will remain unnamed at this point, has been of little help. It seems to me that a brand new generator that fails initially should be replaced. I purchased the unit on May 2nd, and still have no resolution. Has anyone had a similar experience, or does anyone have any advice? I just get the runaround with the dealer...

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
jbgreig

[...]

2 weeks doesn't sound so bad to me. i had to threaten mass homicide to get someone out for an initial startup on a $40,000 install. (different company)

likewise the service charge is much smaller then what i get stuck for.

the way it looks from my viewpoint is once you get above lawnmower sized engines the whole generator sales/install/service industry turns goofy. sorry to hear of you misfortune. lets hope that the bulk of the repair is covered under warranty.

Reply to
TimPerry

Reply to
<beard6801

I payed with a credit card. I had thought about contesting, but wanted to try and work with the dealer. It does have a warranty, but I was concerned about having a lemon. I would have little faith in something that failed right off the bat. The turnaround time on a repair, I was told, would be up to 6 weeks, and hurricane season starts today!

Got great news last night. After going at it with Generac for a week, my dealer called me and said Generac has agreed to ship me a brand new generator today. Hopefully I will see it soon, but that's the best news I have had in a while.

As for my profession, I'm in IT. I do data networks, network security, etc. But I like nice instruments, and am beginning to wish I had taken the EE route in school. But if I had I'd probably wish I was in IT.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Hopefully I'll have a new generator soon, and I hope this one lasts a bit longer...

Brad

jbgreig

I'd suggest having a master electrician look over the install before starting up the new one. it would be worth at least $100 to me to know the wiring was right.

Reply to
TimPerry

that is good news.

Keep us posted.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
alt.google

Well, it's really pretty simple. I have a 70 amp breaker powering the transfer switch, which basically acts as a subpanel. The setup is actually less complicated than I had with a manual transfer switch which I used previously.

My 70 amp breaker powers the 16 circuit transfer switch. If I kill the power to the 70 amp breaker, my generator starts up. Load is not transferred since there is insufficient voltage from the generator.

All worked fine for the first couple of hours it ran. Are there really any wiring problems that would surface a couple of hours into the break-in period?

If there are, I would appreciate a heads-up. It seems to me to be fairly straight forward, but I certainly do not want to go through this headache again...

I got my RMA papers from Generac today. I must say I have been impressed with their service. Should have the new generator in a few days.

I do have one additional question. Generac claims the unit will start a 5 ton AC, which I happen to have. I have seen people talk of using KickStart hard start devices to help in starting AC units when powered by generators. This is a link to their website:

I have purchased one but have not installed it. Does anyone have any experience with these or opinions as to their usefulness?

Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate all of the responses.

Brad

Reply to
jbgreig

Are you sure your transfer switch is connected properly? They are very complex beasts.

Be sure to do it right, and have an electrician look at it if you are not 100% sure.

Joe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

im having a hard time picturing a transfer switch that acts as a subpanel.

maybe this is a companion unit that came with the generator?

The setup is

can you describe this a little more?

OK so far... on loss of power the generator auto starts.

Load is not

you lost me here... once the generator comes up to speed the switch should transfer... then when power is restored, after a timed delay, switch back and shut off generator.

Reply to
TimPerry

Yes. It should. But there is a problem with the generator (It's not generating any power). It was working fine for a couple of hours, and then the output dropped to .1 volts. I have been told the windings are likely bad.

And yes, the transfer switch came packaged with the generator. It's a Generac 100AMP that powers 16 circuits.

Reply to
jbgreig

ok i got it... the transfer switch does not operate now because the gen is bad.

OK, just double and triple check that line and load connections are not reversed.

Reply to
TimPerry