Generac Guardian Generators

Would appreciate any comments, good or bad, on the Generac Guardian series of stationary propane/nat gas generators (we are looking at the

14 & 17KW sizes).

Thanks for any assistance.........

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

Probably good enough for residential needs.

I can sell you a military MEP-006A diesel generator with 800 hours on the meter.

Price is $4k CASH and includes a free trailer.

I will be asking for more elsewhere.

Ignoramus7337

Before you commit I suggest you do some number crunching as to what it will cost to run a nat gas generator for, say a week's power outage and compare this to what it would cost with a gas or diesel engine. I did and found that that running my house off my Miller gas welding machine was a lot cheaper in the long run, plus I had a welding machine to boot

Reply to
Gerry

Does your welder autostart & does it have a transfer switch? Does it put out enough for a whole house?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is one sitting about 100 feet from me. Other that a wiring error casue by a missed ECO at the factory, (that was fixed for free) it has been in place for about five years with no problems.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks but we need something that is single phase, runs on natural gas, has a transfer switch and is auto-start (and with local service).

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

It surprises me that a diesel or gas gen would cost less to run than natural gas as nat gas is a lot cheaper (on a BTU basis). In any case, we want auto start/stop and don't want to mess with liquid fuels if possible. The specific circumstances also require idiot proofness.

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm also looking at a similar Kohler unit but it is more expensive and service is not as readily available. It looks like the Generac will fit the bill as it will (hopefully) not receive a lot of use (power fail backup only).

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

You don't say where you live. If you're in earthquake country, then natural gas probably isn't the best route, because if the main ruptures, you won't have any NG. I can't speak at propane vs. liquid fuel, other than propane doesn't stink like gasoline or diesel. ;-)

I also don't know which of the three gives the most KWH per dollar of fuel. )-;

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sitting here on the genny as I type. Had 2 trees blow down this morning, took out mine and several others lines. I just have a 5500W

10hp unit, no frills. Big house, it runs all the critical systems, except the water heater, dryer and oven. Clean enough for TV and computer. JR

Reply to
JR North

No autostart and no auto transfer switch. Never felt like it was needed because just about anyone can hit a start button and run extension cords. Had neighbors who were real proud of their nat gas generators during Katrina 9 day outage get real squeamish when they got their $2k nat gas bills at the end of the month. I was just as comfortable and used about $200 worth of gasoline. Have not had to use mine since then but hear theirs crank and run every week for an hour or so. Their initial investment was about 2.5 times mine. I talked the the gas company when I was considering a nat gas genset and they told me that I would also have to run a new gas service because the normal residential would not be able to feed a 13K genset. Not saying it is the same everywhere, just repeating what I was told. I'm in south Louisiana Good luck!

Reply to
Gerry

Laurie,

I'm a bit skepical that NG costs more than diesel or gasoline. I believe NG is actually less expensive.

BTU's are Btu's, just a standard measure of energy. Using the above site the prices they consider normal (I didn't not verify validity), I get the following:

Electricity 37.17 per 1M btu NG at 16.35 #2 Fuel oil at 23.58 Propane at 28.65 Firewood at 12.99 (steam powered genset anyone, just put that one in there for jest)

NG is normally still available during power outages. Now an earth quake might be a different issue since the distribution system may be compromised.

Sadly generac doesn't make a dual fuel as in NG/Fuel oil in their residential line. They do for their industrial offerings. That would be sweet and offer you options.

Wes

Wes

What, no chance to get out the camping gear to 'rough' it inside the home? You are missing one of those, "I'm a man, I can can survive moments".

It is fun for about 3 hours ;)

Wes

Wes

Thanks

This, seems to be more for remote construction kind of guys.

Ignoramus12759

Does anyone know what the certainty is of the natural gas supply to continue uninterrupted during a week+long region-wide power outage? There's lots of capacity in the pipeline, but...

1) how long will that last 2) what kind of backup power systems do they have for it and 3) is it Obama/FEMA-proof?

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Whoa! Crazy. That's good info to know.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This is an excellent questionn. I believe that NG pumping stations do have their own backup generators, but I am not generally sure how generally reliable is gas supply (outside of San Bruno, that is).

I have a diesel generator and a little bit of my own fuel.

Reply to
Ignoramus12759

Power load is something you need to consider, only you and a pro and walk you through your power requirements.

Question: Are you concerned about an earh-quake. If so, consider that almost any such event that will take the power down will also take the natural gas out..

Sever weather can also take out gas mains, how it does it is the weather softens the ground, which shifts and the utility shuts the lines down to prevent leaks (happened near me last month, so I -KNOW- it can happen)

Generaly Generac are good units, I had a 2600 watt gas unit for 20 years, before I move on the larger Honda (inverter) generators

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I have gas heat , gas HWH and stove and BBQ grill. Never have I lost natural gas in any of the hurricanes I have been through. Nat gas seems to be a pretty stable supply. Much better than gas or diesel. When the last hurricane was coming through, I planned ahead and filled a 55 gallon drum with gas. Obama proof? Nothing on the face of the earth is FEMA and Obama proof

Reply to
Gerry

Thanks to the ever benevolent federal agencies, we have been blessed with ethanol. For those using gasoline, what are the effects of storing gasahol?

So far, diesel seems to be a promising, long term solution.

The question that should be asked is it EPA proof?

Reply to
Louis Ohland