Generac Guardian Generators

Would appreciate any comments, good or bad, on the Generac Guardian series of stationary propane/nat gas generators (we are looking at the
14 & 17KW sizes).
Thanks for any assistance.........
Laurie Forbes
Add pictures here
✖

Probably good enough for residential needs.
I can sell you a military MEP-006A diesel generator with 800 hours on the meter.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/MEP-006A/
Price is $4k CASH and includes a free trailer.
I will be asking for more elsewhere.
✖
On 12/18/2010 8:18 PM, Ignoramus7337 wrote:

Thanks but we need something that is single phase, runs on natural gas, has a transfer switch and is auto-start (and with local service).
Laurie Forbes
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks
This, seems to be more for remote construction kind of guys.
✖
On Dec 19, 8:01 am, Ignoramus12759 <ignoramus12...@NOSPAM. 12759.invalid> wrote:

We used them at mountaintop radio relay sites, mostly near the border with you guys.
jsw
Add pictures here
✖

That's really interesting. Can you tell me more about them? I have not even picked it up yet. How long do they last? Are they really loud? How do you start them in winter, with glow plugs?
✖

Before you commit I suggest you do some number crunching as to what it will cost to run a nat gas generator for, say a week's power outage and compare this to what it would cost with a gas or diesel engine. I did and found that that running my house off my Miller gas welding machine was a lot cheaper in the long run, plus I had a welding machine to boot
Add pictures here
✖
Gerry wrote:

Does your welder autostart & does it have a transfer switch? Does it put out enough for a whole house?
--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

No autostart and no auto transfer switch. Never felt like it was needed because just about anyone can hit a start button and run extension cords. Had neighbors who were real proud of their nat gas generators during Katrina 9 day outage get real squeamish when they got their $2k nat gas bills at the end of the month. I was just as comfortable and used about $200 worth of gasoline. Have not had to use mine since then but hear theirs crank and run every week for an hour or so. Their initial investment was about 2.5 times mine. I talked the the gas company when I was considering a nat gas genset and they told me that I would also have to run a new gas service because the normal residential would not be able to feed a 13K genset. Not saying it is the same everywhere, just repeating what I was told. I'm in south Louisiana Good luck!
Add pictures here
✖

Whoa! Crazy. That's good info to know.
-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

I wonder if he has a small plastic pipe fed inside an old rusted out iron pipe? In some places they don't dig up bad drops.
--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
✖
Gerry wrote:

Then it won't do what she wants. Some people don't want to be outside in the dark, in the rain or snow to start a generator, or to run cords. Some need autostart & a transfer switch becasue they can't be without power when they aren't home.
--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
✖
*Snip*

Rated fuel consumption on a Generac 14kw is 240 cu.' per hour @ full load, 150 @ half load. I'm running mine on propane which is 2.8/2.2 gal./hr. Around here the price of natural gas & propane are about the same per BTU-
http://www.heritagegas.com/residential/residential-rates.html
which is probably a lot higher than your part of the world.
At "half" consumption nine days running time would set me back ~$650 bucks. Of course shutting it down when not needed wouud reduce that by a goodly amount.
I suggest your neighbours get thier meter checked, seems to be running a bit "high".
H.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/18/2010 9:04 PM, Gerry wrote:

It surprises me that a diesel or gas gen would cost less to run than natural gas as nat gas is a lot cheaper (on a BTU basis). In any case, we want auto start/stop and don't want to mess with liquid fuels if possible. The specific circumstances also require idiot proofness.
Laurie Forbes
Add pictures here
✖

Laurie,
I'm a bit skepical that NG costs more than diesel or gasoline. I believe NG is actually less expensive.
http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm
BTU's are Btu's, just a standard measure of energy. Using the above site the prices they consider normal (I didn't not verify validity), I get the following:
Electricity 37.17 per 1M btu NG at 16.35 #2 Fuel oil at 23.58 Propane at 28.65 Firewood at 12.99 (steam powered genset anyone, just put that one in there for jest)
NG is normally still available during power outages. Now an earth quake might be a different issue since the distribution system may be compromised.
Sadly generac doesn't make a dual fuel as in NG/Fuel oil in their residential line. They do for their industrial offerings. That would be sweet and offer you options.
Wes         -- "Additionally as a security officer, I carry a gun to protect government officials but my life isn't worth protecting at home in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:01:11 -0700, Laurie Forbes

Does anyone know what the certainty is of the natural gas supply to continue uninterrupted during a week+long region-wide power outage? There's lots of capacity in the pipeline, but... 1) how long will that last 2) what kind of backup power systems do they have for it and 3) is it Obama/FEMA-proof?
-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey
Add pictures here
✖

This is an excellent questionn. I believe that NG pumping stations do have their own backup generators, but I am not generally sure how generally reliable is gas supply (outside of San Bruno, that is).
I have a diesel generator and a little bit of my own fuel.

Add pictures here
✖

Thanks to the ever benevolent federal agencies, we have been blessed with ethanol. For those using gasoline, what are the effects of storing gasahol?
So far, diesel seems to be a promising, long term solution.
The question that should be asked is it EPA proof?
Add pictures here
✖

Perhaps it ages, like wine.

There is plenty of compliant diesel generators out there.
✖
Louis Ohland wrote:

The newer gas doesn't store well at all untreated, but if you always treat it with a suitable stabilizer it will store a year adequately. If you ensure that you put your gas stock into your vehicle and replace the stock with fresh every six months you should be fine.
Add pictures here
✖