Generac Guardian Generators

Near the end of our most recent outage, I ran my fridge off an inverter connected to my car battery. Just sat in the car reading a book for half an hour with the car idling in the driveway. I had all the parts so the setup cost me about US $0.50 in gas.

Served french - press coffee to SWMBO too. A little inverter powered from another car battery powered the bean grinder.

She couldn't believe it. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

How old is it? At some point in time, all brands drop long term support.

I don't own the 18 KW Generac, my next door neighbor does. I see a lot of them in this area and have never heard anyone complain about not being able to get service. I see a few Onans, but only in the 500+ KW class.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I still can buy parts for my 1974 Clausing lathe. I am happy and Clausing makes money/.

Ignoramus30015

That's not old, for a lathe. They made the parts. the last time I checked, I could still buy every body part for a 50 year old 'Union City' step van from the factory. They were the steel bodied GMC & Chevy, and mabe some other brands. How about this? I can still buy 'Edison Base' lamps, which were first made over 130 years ago.

Now, try that with a 50 year old, non military standby generator of any brand.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I bought parts for a Onan DJE, which is by now almost 40 years old.

Ignoramus30015

1: What parts? 2: When did that model go out of production? 3: Were those parts used only on that one model? If no, when was the last unit that used them built & shipped?
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"The same independent research foundation,** using accepted methods of sampling and polling***, determined that most* people would prefer not to spend money on a big, expensive generator, even if they don't have to pull on the cord."

But isn't a Prius hybrid an expensive generator? ;)

I know, temporary retasking. Works for me.

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is that how long it took for the freezer/fridge to come back up to freezing speed after six or so hours of outage?

I'm curious as to how much fuel a Prius in generator mode uses in gallons-per-hour.

Cool.

I think my fridge is only 135W, so that's entirely possible in my SWAG opinion.

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I doubt it took more than 5 minutes after a ~3 hour outage, in retrospect. I just figured that half an hour would buy me another 3 hours without any question, even if it cycled a couple times in the half hour. (We have medical supplies that require refrigeration.)

I *might* not have rigged this up had I known that the outage would only last ~ 4 hours in total. Then again... :)

I did step into the house to check at the beginning and near the end of the half hour. The fridge was operating normally; compressor was on at the beginning and off at the end and the door light worked properly.

Especially if you could also power other loads like a NG furnace and washer/dryer for those extended outages.

(...)

The nameplate on mine says '8.2 A' or ~ 1 KW! My little '1.5 KW (PEAK)' inverter had no problem with it, though.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That 8.2 amps includes the elusive defrost cycle.

Our big side-by-side with ice and water through the door (not known for being the most efficient configuration) had 11.2 amps on the data plate, but the compressor only drew 122 watts. Average power consumption over 311 hours was 75.4 watts.

news: snipped-for-privacy@sorceror.wizard.dyndns.org

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Yes, as well as those skin heaters that no one talks about.

I *suspected* that the 8.4 A figure was pessimistic.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Oh, it's mighty important to keep that $$$ stuff cold!

Bueno.

Rightio!

Wow, far cry from my Kill-a-Watt readings. I'll have to check for a plate, but I don't think I saw one, just the listing inside the fridge. 18.2 c/f

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Especially stuff that cannot be bought for $$$$$$ during an emergency.

(...)

As Mssr. Ackman implied, some fridge manufacturers put the worst-case 0.005% duty cycle inrush peak energy conversion number on their official nameplate. (Do you suspect a CYA move here? I do.) Doubtless your kill-a-watt readings are *much* closer to reality and solves the mystery why my inverter remained quite cool to the touch.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston