Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

Karamojo Bell used the 7x57 as his official elephant management rifle, during his tenure as a government game manager. FMJs. Something like

250 elephants IRRC

Gunner

Gunner Asch

They have their purposes. Shrug. But most hunting situations are well handled by cartridge of the 3006's nature. THough Im rather found of the 375 H&H, which has similar ballistics as the 06, but with a rather larger bullet.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The diameter of the bullet is 7.62, indeed, but its NOT the same as the CARTRIDGE designated as the 7.62 x51, which is what the FN-FAL fired..the basiclly equivelent of our 308 Winchester. The FN-FAL being the rifle most commonly carried by the Tommies in NA until the bastard SA-80 came into service.

The armor on the Saracen/ BMP type scout vehicles is an alloy, and well heat treated. Often T1 plate..and its much much tougher than CRS...chuckle...its a bitch to machine. Very much work hardening.

The Humber Pig used double thick armor with an airspace between them..at least the later models did...MkII IRRC. Very effective against hard shot small arms and SOME shaped charges.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Actually not so. However..blunt force trauma is really really tough on the wearer.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I don't think so, that is the bore of the barrel..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

That's interesting. I've examined several Pigs (including the Mark IIs) and haven't been able to discern an airspace, so I thought it might be a myth. Either the airspace is very small, or it wasn't present on all Mark II vehicles. A guy who is a real Pig enthusiast told me he'd never seen two identical Pigs, so the latter is entirely possible.

In my opinion, the Pig is the coolest looking armoured vehicle ever made. It seems it did a pretty good job in Ulster, too, and was lot cheaper than the Saracen. I saw one for sale for £650 recently. If I'd had some spare cash and covered storage I would have bought it. Maybe one day I'll get one...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That's pretty impressive. But, I am thinking this was right at the upper limit of what it could punch through. Seems to me the plates around here are more like 1/4 or 3/8". That is still a pretty thick plate, as they use them in pairs.

Metal strength doesn't matter that much, as I understand it. The

high velocity penetrating rounds MELT their way through, creating a plasma that is projected into the armor by the forward momentum of the shell.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

OK. I give up. Why does it penetrate further when shot from farther away?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

this reminds me that my sister once said "cats are less prone..."

which is funny enough as it is, but that certainly means that they fit in to all the above categories.

mk5000

"even if my blog is censored 100 times, I will write it for the

101st"--WozyYin
Reply to
marika

Is the bullet a rocket?

50% of the energy go into the bullet, the other half into the gun. E = m/2 v^2. That is true for both the bullet _and_ the gun.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Only in the unlikely case that the mass of the bullet and gun are equal, otherwise the energy will be divided in inverse proportion to the ratio of their masses. In other words, if the gun is 99 times as massive as the bullet, the bullet will leave the barrel with 99% of the energy.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Physics.

Consider the arc from the end of the rifle to the target. The close one is where the bullet is flying flat. The far one is where the bullet is diving to the ground. Gravity assist.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I would cast lead bullets around a tungsten core

i drunk

Reply to
Ignoramus8862

even though I am drunk, I recognize that you are wrong

the momentums are the same (but of opposite sign) but energies are different.

Ignoramus8862

For Gunner's question, when the velocity's too high, the bullet disintegrates too quickly. At lower velocities, it hangs together and penetrates.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Great line. Reminds me of Winston Churchill's supposed line in response to the matron telling him he was drunk, "Yes, but in the morning I'll be sober, and you'll still be ugly."

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Even better is the tale of the woman dining with him at some sort of to-do who supposedly said something like "If I were your wife, I'd poison your coffee", to which Winston is said to have replied "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

Reply to
Don Bruder

7.62, is .308 diameter. The 7.62 Cartridge (x 51) is physically identical to the commercial civilian version we call the .308 Winchester. There are some minor differences between the throating of a x51 weapon and the civilian 308. Btw...the usual name for the military cartridge is the 7.62 Nato..as its one of the common rounds for Nato usage.

Like the 5.56 Nato..we in the States call the .223 Remington, when fired from sporting arms.

Ive owned and fired enough FN-Fals to know what goes down the tube

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Thats why Depleted Uranium works so well on armored targets.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Budda BING! Give that man a big gold star and a box of Kmart 22s.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch