Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

I have similar feelings. While I *am* opposed to trophy hunting, I do support those who hunt ethically and governed by sustainable conservation. In fact, as wild habitat diminishes and natural predators are driven out or killed, hunting becomes a necessity for proper wildlife management. Otherwise, foraging animals like deer will overpopulate and die off in large numbers due to famine or disease.

That said, I have no desire to make a sport of hunting for myself. It just isn't my thing, although I'd have no problem doing so if survival dictates. Part of my Navy AOCS training included a couple of days in the wild, living off the land. It doesn't take much hunger to motivate the natural predatory instincts in us. I did manage to kill a small rabbit (using an improvised sling shot) from which several of us made a rabbit soup.

Btw, that Stifatho sounds great. Do you have a family recipe? (I hope your good-hearted friend has enough to share!)

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Even on a warm day, some steam can be noted. Its the result of the kinetic energy dump....velocity to friction I believe.

Gunner

Gunner

Sigh! The friends of which I speak are not local, one family in Utah, the other in Oregon. I, like you, must go without. That's why pork is mentioned in the recipe. It is very best made with game meat, however.

This meal is like no other. Truly a delight. Because Susan also makes a wonderful lamb stew, we don't use lamb for this one, but it, too, would make exceptional stifatho.

French bread? It's never any better than when you've warmed the loaf in the oven, then served hot. Don't cut it in thin slices, but instead large pieces, which are torn and dipped in the sauce. The crust gets crisp and crunchy instead of soggy and tough-----and if you're inclined, a nice rose wine doesn't hurt the cause, either. .

Michael, knowing that you're near, Susan could be talked into making a batch (with pork) if you'd like to pay a visit. Let us know.

Enjoy!

Harold

STIFATHO

3½ lbs. stew meat (venison, elk or pork work well)

3½ lbs. boiling (small) onions, peeled

12 cloves garlic, minced

1 can tomato paste

2 cans tomato sauce

4 tsp. mixed pickling spices (tied securely in gauze bag)

Salt and pepper to taste (it takes a lot)

½ cup olive oil ½ cup vinegar

1+ cup water

In a large pot, brown meat in hot oil. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until onions are tender. Add water as necessary, but sauce should be thick and rich. Onions should be whole, not falling apart. The spices can also be placed in a tea brewing device. Regardless lf how they are introduced to the stew, they should be removed and discarded when the stew is served.

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

on

I'm inclined to think it's to do with the velocity of the bullet, which vaporizes lots of the critter as it disintegrates. Ackley used to say there's nothing (game animals) on the US continent that can't be taken just as well with a high velocity 22 as any other gun. Hydraulic shock is a good part of the reason critters die when shot. You can imagine how nuts he thought I was when I told him I "needed" a .458.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I'm no mathematician, and have a hard time understanding almost all of this conversation, but to illustrate a point (if only I knew which one!)-------the .458 Magnum I own develops 2-1/2 tons of energy at the muzzle, assuming a maximum load with a 500 grain bullet. It stands to reason that there's hardly a man alive that could withstand that force on his shoulder and survive, let alone still be standing. My rifle does NOT have a muzzle break, and develops 80 foot pounds of recoil (about triple that of a 12 gauge shotgun) , at least according to the things I read years ago. It doesn't knock you down. Not unless you're an idiot. :-( Please, don't ask.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Try shooting one,while prone. One owned by a fellow with a very short neck.

My 375 H&H Magnum is a bit rough when prone...the 458 Ackley is a stone bitch.

Gunner, Member of the Order of the Scarlet Crescent. (2 chevrons)

Gunner

There are commerical sources for venison and other game meats. Here is one I found with a quick Web search that farms their own deer:

happen to be sold out of most cuts, including the inexpensive stew meat, although they do have shoulder available.)

And here is one located in Seattle that imports farmed game animals from all over:

Mmmm... lamb! Speaking of which, I make a pretty mean Moussaka.

Your Stifatho sounds like it would also be a good candidate for filling a San Francisco sourdough bread-bowl.

Thank you for your kind and generous invitation (and for your family recipe). My wife and I would love to visit, as much for the Stifatho as for a chance to talk shop with you and to learn a thing or two from a master metalworker. (Ok, to be fair, my wife would not enjoy the latter part at all, but I certainly would!)

I didn't realize that you were near us; I thought you lived up in Washington State. (I'm in California's San Francisco Bay Area.) If you don't mind, I'll contact you offline to discuss further.

I'm sure I will!

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:21:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

My dad's friend who told me to hold his 30.06 away from my shoulder the first time I'd ever fired one is damned lucky it had only one round in it. When I got up off the ground, I wanted to see blood trickling fromhis f*ck*ng HEART. (I believe that was the most angry I'd ever been by age ten.) Subsequent confirmation many years later by a chiropractor confirmed that it separated the cartilage at my right inner collar bone joint.

Were you almost the owner of a brand new 2-piece collar bone?

"Scarlet Crescent" via Google points to the Polish Army in Napoleon's time. You don't look that old, G.

- Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life. ----

Dynamic Database-Driven Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

----the .458 Magnum I own develops 2-1/2 tons of energy at the

Harold, "tons" is not a unit of energy.

assuming a maximum load with a 500 grain bullet. It stands to

I think I'd better kill this thread before I get ingestion from the all the missuse of terms. :-) :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Thanks for the links. I'll have Susan explore at her leisure. We might be inclined to order for a special occasion, but we're pretty close with money, living on SS.

That's one that really tugs at my heart strings. While I married a "white woman" (Susan), she learned to cook the majority of the Greek recipes from my mother before she died, so I get a generous amount of "soul food". Moussaka is one of the things she makes. Pastichio is another.

Lamb, when properly prepared, has no equal, not in my estimation. Of course, one must realize that it is the meat on which I was raised. I had no clue what a beef steak tasted like until I was a young adult.

Have you tried saganaki? Fried cheese-----served with crackers (I like Ritz), or french bread, and fresh fruit? One fries a cheese named kefalotiri, which doesn't melt, but gets nice and chewy until it renders excessively, at which time it gets crunchy. It's a true delight for breakfast. You can find the cheese at Greek or Italian deli's.

That would certainly be a nice addition, especially for those that enjoy sourdough. We aren't prone to buying it, but I enjoy it when dining out.

My pleasure.

I hope I could live up to your expectations. My skills are rapidly rusting----having been away from the machines since '83.

Your wife might find something of interest to discuss with Susan, who collects art glass, gardens, and enjoys cooking. She's a quiet kind of person, but very friendly.

Oops. My mistake. It's true that I live in Washington State, south of Seattle by about 100 miles. Only recently, something I read made me think you were located in the Seattle area. Yep, it's a long drive from San Francisco! Still, if you ever plan a journey north, we'd certainly welcome you and yours.

No problem. I always enjoy hearing from folks with manners.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

For clarity, my .458 is not an Ackley, but a .458 Winchester, made by Ackley.

Unlike your 375 H&H, which I imagine has one hell of a sharp kick, the .458 starts shoving------hard, and just keeps doing it, or so it seems. It's very punishing to shoot-----and should have had a muzzle brake installed when it was made to make it more "user friendly".

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Patience, lew, I'm a machinist, with no education. Maybe I should have said that the .458 has 5,000 lb/ft of muzzle energy---dunno-----(but it sounds like 2-1/2 tons to me)-what really matters is that you get an idea of the performance of the weapon. Use some Kentucky windage, just as I do when I must endure comments from those that don't understand machining the way I do. I may not converse as if I'm a rocket scientist, but when it comes to chasing that internal thread, you can damned well trust what I have to say. You don't have to be smart to be a good machinist, something for which I'm very grateful.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:57:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Not unless you're shooting the air conditioner, eh, Lew?

Two late, lou.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

My son once used to like watching Aristocats, there was a person who rode a motorcycle downstairs into some bridge or whatever. So, he decided to ride his tricycle down the porch stairs. He was about 2.5 years old.

Ignoramus1740

Guilty as charged.

None there, but how's the web of your shooting hand? Got the 1911 hammer bite? Now, I've never had an M-1 thumb, but I got to watch one happen. (The Hakim and the Ljungman that I have would, I think, make an M-1 thumb seem mild...you should see those suckers cycle.)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yeah, done that too. When I was about a year old, I learned how to undo the latches on the tray of my highchair. Broke my upper jaw...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Fri, 04 Nov 2005 03:56:48 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Hmm - learn something new everyday ...

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You're killing me here, Harold.

I just got home from work, dinner is not yet done, and i am now so hungry I just may pass out. All of this talk of Stifatho, lamb dinners, pastitiso, and fried kefalotiri is making my mouth water. I am now too distracted to get much else done. Love all of that stuff.

You are right, properly cooked lamb is second to none.

Like yours, my wife is not Greek, but she has done a great job of picking up all of the cooking skills for this sort of stuff, after hanging around my mother for many years.

You keep throwing out offers to serve food like that and I may just decide that Washington state is local to me (PR of Massachusetts) and show up for dinner!

Al "Greek boy" A.

Reply to
Al A.

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:59:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus1740 quickly quoth:

Move over Kneivel!

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

Never got one from Saint Brownings Best. My hand is a perfect fit for a stock grip safety.. Did get one from a Baby Browning once...

Learned early about M1/M14 thumb...and blush...a Ljungman got me once...only a flesh wound....chuckle.

Gunner

Gunner