Two videos of one of my IC-engines I built

How about this one!

Greg O

Or this one,

I wonder what purpose they serve?? ;-) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

My link was to another of Nick's engines, a diesel which is rather impressive.

As to the purpose, it keeps a guy busy and out of trouble, provides real world machining problems to solve, and provides a end item that lets one display their skills. Plus they are really cool to be able to crank up and run.

I wish I could find a casting kit for a United hit and miss. Uncle has an original.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Did they have CNC when they built the first Wankel engines?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I don't know the answer to your question.

OTOH, I think Nick meant that *he* couldn't build it without a CNC. Early Wankels could have been built without CNC and with purpose- built mills and grinders.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yeahbut it's MINE Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I don't think so in 1957.

As far as doable, that is more a matter of time and treasure using non cnc equipment.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

No. They used a mechanical generator to generate epitrochoidal shapes. I've seen the generator mechanism used by NSU to make the first Wankel engines for cars. Don't try this at home.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I never owned one to take it apart, but the Model Airplane Engine side of the Japanese company OS Max, made a .30 cu. in. Wankel.

I wonder if they made a scaled down generating apparatus for them.

I had a Mazda RX2, with a 13B rotary transplanted into it. Pass anything but a gas station. Handled like a pig on stilts, though.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Yes, I bought one in Osaka in 1981 for my uncle, who used to make model engines himself. It entertained him for months.

I don't know how OS made them. I saw the NSU machine at a machine tool show in Germany, back in the '70s. It was a pretty fancy generating machine. OS surely had CNC by the time they made the Wankel models, but I don't know if that's how they cut the chambers.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ah! Thanks! I didn't know that. But then, a CNC would be cheaper and simpler.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

There does exist an approximation with some circles. But I think I lost the formula.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Seen this one before. Certainly a damned aggressive sound and nice work! And it also is useful! :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

That's how they did production, but I've often wondered how Wankel made his prototypes. The math isn't very complicated, actually, and I remember thinking about how you could cut the chamber and piston without a generating machine or CNC. But I forget what I thought about it. There's another piece of memory shot to hell.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

They say the memory is the second thing to go! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller