Unusual gifts

It was. I detailed it (soap, water, polymer paint treatment which is super easy to wipe off, tire black, and a piece of 0000 steel wool for the aluminum trim. I baking-sodaed the battery box and cases, cleaned and greased the terminals, and charged it up. The 5th guy driving by brought cash, and I happily dropped it from $1k to $950. My old neighbor lady drove it to my other neighbor's house to water his yard for a week while I was on vacation, then I cleaned and sold it. Nice profit margin, I think.

Air dream: I'd love to build a small electric car or motorcycle for kicks.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.

But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you qualify.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Depends how long you can manage to live.

Reply to
clare

One gauge said A OK

Only that one box, and only because I knew (?) what was in it. Where'd the jack hammer go? I was so out of it that day, I was barely standing. I'm glad my sister let me crash on her couch that night. I was too sick to drive all the way home. Must have been 1917 flu bug. DAMN, that hurt. My MD gave me double doses of amoxycillin to fight off both sinus infections, too. I felt worse the day after I ended the first course and immediately started the second. 3 days later, I started feeling human again.

Sign up 3 months before your 62nd birthday. Quick and easy online. I'm still stunned that they didn't want to see any ID whatsoever, at least yet. I could have waited until my 66th birthday to get $251 more a month, but it's too hard making this particular living, I'm finding lately. I'm not sure SS will be around by then, either.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, 8% more per year to age 66. Gunner and I don't qualify for full retirement until age 66. A buddy of mine is 2 years younger and doesn't qualify until 67.

SS is 25% less at the earliest, age 62. The little I'll receive will cover all my bills plus a little to splurge on metal, since I own my house and vehicle outright. Forget the weekends in Bali, though.

Exactly, and with fluctuating income, a regular income is much safer during the slow months. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The difference for me over the next 4 years is $37,536. At $251/mo, that works out to a whole lot longer if I'd waited.

Hell, we'll all be Soylent Green in a few years anyway. Why worry?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was given a 12ga Savage 67 pump shotgun that wouldn't eject shells. $5 for a used ejector from a gun show and it worked fine. I offered it back to the former owner but he wasn't interested. Sold it for $150.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Gunner Asch on Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:54:57 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

At "retirement" age. IOW, if you are eligible at 65, wait till you're 66 and six months. The longer you put it off, the more they'll pay, up to a certain point (age 72,iirc)

pyotr filipivich

Very strange. It's not in the shop, either.

Oh, I know. It's in my foldbox, I'm sure. That tesseract helps me keep extra goodies in my small space here.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

66-1/2 is another 'marker' year for SS benefits.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I ran the numbers , the increase if you wait doesn't net you any more unless you live past like 86 yrs old . So I started to draw at 62 .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I had my fun with those, building prototypes at Segway. The machine itself wasn't as big a challenge as monitoring, logging and analyzing its performance and changing the controller parameters as needed. That's what set me looking to buy or build my own low cost, high resolution portable datalogger, first a microcontroller-based one with a troublesome common ground and then separate optically isolated DVMs.

A compact Campbell Scientific datalogger was hard enough to mount securely on a motorcycle, a laptop would be quite a challenge. Laptops are a great solution on machines that carry a passenger, they were the original control and display terminals for prototypes of this:

At the same time I was adding a hydraulic bucket loader to my garden tractor. Hydraulics took more machining to implement but were easier to debug. The pump puts out a constant flow volume per turn so I only needed to control engine speed and watch pressure and lifting force, both easy static measurements. I made a knob-adjustable pressure relief to replace the fixed one on the control valve assembly and run it as low as will do the job. The valves are open in the center position and the fluid just circulates freely with only frictional losses.

The controls for electric wheelchairs would be excellent for a homebrew vehicle although I wouldn't divert them from the grey market for non-subsidized repairs.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The benefit steps up by your age in months and gives you a constant total by age 78 IIRC. Starting early may be better if it will preserve your high-interest investments.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Various entities and vital services that many people hate their dependence on.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Gunner Asch on Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:58:20 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The ones you are highly interested in, yes?

(I think he means those mythical investments which bring above market returns, such as the ones which CalPers uses to base future pensions on.)

pyotr filipivich

An elated customer gave me a brand new pace desoldering system. Price (at the time) was something over $700. Over the years, it's value has been, well, priceless.

Last month, another elated customer gave me a set of cufflinks (now I just need a tux shirt).

Reply to
rangerssuck

When Mitutoyo was my advertising client, back when their HQ was in NJ, I frequently took items home to photograph on my seamless backgrounds and tabletop setups with a view camera, which I didn't like to take to their office. Things like a digital mike, a conventional mike, two digital calipers, a granite surface plate, and a bunch of ceramic gage blocks. When I tried to return them, they'd say, "Oh no, we can't take them back. We've already written them off as advertising expense."

Unfortunately, they moved to Aurora, IL before I had to photograph a DRO.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Nice.

Those granite surface plates are very handy.

My 200,000 BTU pool heater is sitting on a 24x36" granite surface plate right now. Makes a very nice platform.

Ignoramus24678

Ha-ha! Yes, I'll bet it does.

Reply to
Ed Huntress