Unusual gifts

wrote:

I've seen a stack of still-working Latitudes whose metal shells had been mangled or punctured in transit.
These people sell individual replacement key caps for them: http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/
The keys aren't easy to replace but at least it's possible.
-jsw
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:02:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Thanks. I've saved that one.
--
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 08:47:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Yabbut, working inside a Big Boy's Toy Factory...

Mold release? I expect to hear that during an injection molding discussion, but not in an electrics/electronics discussion. What meaneth thou?

I forgot myself. Then it should have been a clamshell (or simply a platform) for the laptop.

I programmed a voice card/telephone tree database for a guy who gave me a suitcase computer to work on. He sold classic hotrod refurb services. That was interesting. http://tinyurl.com/at82m8s That was a typical '80s business class "laptop". Your Latitude is a bit smaller.

Those are going for a song, wot?

Yeah, just mount the 22" monitor to the windshield...

How's the reliability? I hear the business models have been considerably more reliable than the consumer crap Dell puts out. I'd hope so, as they sold for $2-5k new.

How so? Not familiar with CAN bus.
--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
So much to explain. I'm glad I didn't describe the Inca culture as "chalcolithic".

Temps weren't numbered among the core Big Boys, or invited to contribute projects to Frog Days. I was nominated onto a three-man Tiger Team for a hot special project and paid the price in resentment from those not chosen.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?tf9165

The "Industrial Designers" rather than the engineers had final say on the appearance. Techs had no say at all.

"Portable" means it has one or more handles, as do upright pianos. I tried to spread the term "schleppable".

I paid $25 for the D820 I loaded the CAD program on. It inherited 4 GB of RAM from another one that went to 8 GB.

In July it will be illegal to draw while driving here.

There were real and alleged problems, like burning batteries, overheating nVidia graphics chips, mother board cracks, etc. AFAICT only the fittest have survived. They are relatively easy to open up and work on.
They aren't entirely suited to Windows 7 and may need suboptimal Vista drivers. Only the final x30 models have an AHCI option and ability to take 8GB of DDR2 RAM if you install a 64 bit OS. The fastest available processor appears to be an overpriced Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz T9500, my best one is 2.4GHz. The graphics are good enough for live HDTV but reportedly not for gaming.
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/latitude-d-series-laptops/latitude-d630-windows-7-32-bit/ "This model and Operating System is not supported by Dell."

http://canbuskit.com/what.php http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-vehicle-CAN-BUS-with-Arduino-and-Seeed-C/
-jsw, waiting for the weather to clear before I set up my log lifting equipment.
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:18:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Aren't people wonderful?

Oh, tires! Yeah, mold release. I was entirely in electronics mode in that conversation so you threw me.

Is that anything like "military intelligence"? Thot so.

Don't laws like that burn you up? They'll certainly save the lives of texters and sketchy people everywhere. Where's Darwin when you need him? I understand they're padding light posts in London for that same reason. Crom help us!

7? Hell, Win 3.1 had most everything we could want. ('cept memory)

I'll check it out. Yesterday and today each have 1.5 hours of work for me. It's nice to relax. I have Jupiter Ascending and Last Knights waiting for me in town at the local RedBox, too.

We've been toying with 100+ degree weather here for a couple weeks now. May we borrow your rain, please?
--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 5:10:44 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

How about some of our snow next January?
Dan
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:32:02 -0700, Larry Jaques

The controller on my '75 Fiat 128 conversion was dead seimple voltage switcher with switched resistance - 2 battery packs in parallel through resistor - short resistor, switch packs to series through resistor, short resistor - then weaken field with rheostat - motor was a military surplus aircraft generator.

Was it practical in city traffic?
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:53:52 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

It was actually pretty good. I ran 8 GC2H 215AH golf cart batteries, so 24 volts for startup, and 48 for cruise - through the Fiat 4 speed transmission with no clutch. 50 miles at 30mph, 30 miles at 50mph - slightly less in city traffic. Could spin the tires taking off in first with the small motor. In an attempt to get more power and more range, I installed a bigger motor, and it became almost undriveable - I needed a better controller because even on 24 volts through the resister it could smoke the tires - pulling away in second was more civilized but I had to be carefull I didn't pop the breaker (set to 400 amps or 600 instantaneous). The breaker was a big paddle right behind the shifter between the seats. In storage over the winter someone disconnected the battery maintainer and I lost most of my battery pack - and being a 7 year old FIAT the rust-worm had done a number on the undercarriage- so it sat another year and then was scrapped. Still have the motor and contactors, and I think the breaker.
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:21:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Har!

Why no clutch, or equiv?

Bummer on the loss.
--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:15:42 -0700, Larry Jaques

Why? Didn't need it. Just remove power from motor and shift. No need for starting either - put it in gear, mash the pedal and go - maximum torque at zero RPM, unlike IC engines. I still had the clutch peral, but all it did was disconnect power.

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:40:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Except that it'd burn out in first and blow the breaker in 2nd. Nope, didn't need it at all. <g>
--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:49:47 -0700, Larry Jaques

That's just if I stuck my foot into it too hard. ( and blowing the breaker was only with the BIG motor.

    I am not a pack rat. I'm, um, err "A rodent of acquisition and unusual retention", yeah, that's the ticket.
    Talking with guys at work - the company is trying to cut costs, which is normal, and one of the issues is "materials". As in Part A needs 2/3 of a panel, leaving a big chunk as "fall down"/ scrap. Part B can be made of that "scrap" - but how do we track said "scrap"? (and how do we get the virtual inventory [what the computer has computed we have] and the actual inventory [what is actually on pallets] to reconcile? Not to mention separating the virtual whole panels which are actually two or more real pieces, from the non-existing real pieces which the computer scrapped a long time ago.     And I keep in mind my Dad's story of asking if the tulip bulb farmer parishioner had a few spares. "No problem" he is told, and a few days later a full gunny sack of tulip bulbs ("second") is left at the manse. Obviously, they had a difference in what constitutes A few" bulbs.
    In the mean time, I keep telling myself "Your carport is already full." -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

What? 31st class? I'm offended.
Catruckman hasn't come by so far, so... I need to have you box that up and send it. Maybe to my sister's house, half the distance, so I can afford it. It's too costly to drive down again soon. I'll be saving up for that for maybe next year, though. (saving my quarters) I damned well want to get out to the long range with you, mon. (Hmm, have to save some quarters for ammo, too.)

Yeah, I soaked the XL set of linesman's pliers and put them into use on some fencing. And I used some of the soldering accessories, wick, and such. Um, I've used 3 of the files and one of the rasps. Two of the 3# hammers are my new friends. They have longer handles than the little drilling hammers I've been using. One is a good cement breaker. I've needed things out of the missing bucket 4 or 5 times so far. (Ohio brushes, welding rod, silver solder, welding sleeves) <sigh>
Let's see, once I have time, I'll:
1) refurb the table saw on its own little rolling bench under the Green Monster (which is my first and main goal once I semi-retire.)
2) take the spare Briggs V-twin down to Glenn's so we can fab up a drive mount for the engine so it can power the Scott gen/welder. I also want to mount up a water pump to it, so these will be quick change mounts.
3) find a spline chisel to fit the jack hammer you sent home with me.
My first SS check arrives in October, so I won't have to beat myself up working as many hours each week to survive from then on.
--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.

HA!
You'll be working for a boss who sees through all your excuses.
-jsw, sore and tired
On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 18:07:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Yabbut, he's smarter. He is passing on the larger jobs, like putting together 156 pieces of heavy lumber into a deck. He's going to start accepting only picture hanging, painting (subbing out the prep work), pressure washing (new ramps for the truck, pulley to run it up/down), putting new hinges on cabinet doors, etc. He did his last deck job last month and his last fence last week.

You, too?
--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.

OK, that's better. I thought I was that far down the scale from #1. You're forgiven.

Boy, howdy. I just opened the box and there wasn't a jack hammer in it. There was a set of OA torch regs, lines (short/old), a 0 tip, and a cutting torch in there. Surprise, surprise!

I can make up to $1,310/mo continuing to work, but I'll collect my previously sequestered funds in the interim. Y'know, before they are shut off so CONgress can steal the funds for their own salaries? Something to consider for yourself. If you make too much money in a given month, they just withhold that month's SS check. I'm going to cut things back so I don't continue to ache horribly all the time.
I'm gettin' on up into the Metal Years. I have gold in my teeth, silver in my hair, and lead in my ass.
--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Gunner Asch wrote:

62, but you'll get more if you can wait till you're 65.

Even more, Gunnah, if you can wait another year-and-a-half.
But beware. Check out what you'll get at _any_ age, vs interest rates and how long you expect to live (your call). You might actually end up with more money (total, not monthly) if you start taking it as soon as you qualify.
Lloyd