using an acetyene regulator on propane

I just talked to Victor customer service. I called them to find out if I can use their medium duty single stage acetylene regulator, no. SR-260A, on a propane tank. They told me the following:

Both acetylene and propane cylinders use a CGA 510 connector (aka a POL fitting) so you can generally use an acetylene regulator on a propane tanks but most acetylene regulators are set up for the range 2-15 psi so if you plan to use more propane than that you should either get your acetylene regulator modified to use a stronger spring and different gauge or you should use a regulator set up for propane. In addition, once you use a regulator for propane (which leaves tarry residue inside) you should not go back to acetylene with that regulator.

As this has come up here before, I thought I'd pass this along for comment or FYI.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Been using an acetylene regulator on my propane foundry furnaces for a few years now, works just fine....I don;t know about the 2-15 range, but even on an acetylene cylinder it was easy to run pressures up past the recomended range.......perhaps accuracy of gauge / reg is off at a higher output pressure, but for my use it is certainly not noticeable.

Reply to
Roy

It is not a good idea to run acetylene at pressure above 15 psi.Above 15 psi acetylene is unstable and can spontaniously explode.To acheive higher pressure in an acetylene cylinder the acetylene is dissolved in acetone.Hence the red marking for 15 psi and above on the regulator.

Reply to
digitalmaster

snip

Pretty sure most who use acetylene is aware of this, but it does not apply if a acetylene reg is use with propane.

Reply to
Koi-Lo

You would be astounded at the number of people who use a torch daily and do not know why the acetylene regulator redlines at 15 psi.

Reply to
digitalmaster

I thought this was discussed a while back?

Anybody remember that?

deflagrate

Pronunciation: 'def-l&-"grAt Function: verb Inflected Form(s): -grat·ed; -grat·ing Etymology: Latin deflagratus, past participle of deflagrare to burn down, from de- + flagrare to burn -- more at BLACK transitive senses : to cause to deflagrate -- compare DETONATE 1 intransitive senses : to burn rapidly with intense heat and sparks being given off

- def·la·gra·tion /"def-l&-'grA-sh&n/ noun

detonate

Pronunciation: 'de-t&n-"At, 'de-t&-"nAt Function: verb Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing Etymology: French détoner to explode, from Latin detonare to expend thunder, from de- + tonare to thunder -- more at THUNDER intransitive senses : to explode with sudden violence transitive senses

1 : to cause to detonate -- compare DEFLAGRATE 2 : to set off in a burst of activity : SPARK

- det·o·nat·able /-"A-t&-b&l, -"nA-/ adjective

- det·o·na·tive /'de-t&n-"A-tiv, 'de-t&-"nA-/ adjective

explode

Pronunciation: ik-'splOd Function: verb Inflected Form(s): ex·plod·ed; ex·plod·ing Etymology: Latin explodere to drive off the stage by clapping, from ex- + plaudere to clap transitive senses

1 archaic : to drive from the stage by noisy disapproval 2 : to bring into disrepute or discredit 3 : to cause to explode or burst noisily intransitive senses 1 : to burst forth with sudden violence or noise from internal energy: as a : to undergo a rapid chemical or nuclear reaction with the production of noise, heat, and violent expansion of gases b : to burst violently as a result of pressure from within 2 a : to give forth a sudden strong and noisy outburst of emotion b : to move with sudden speed and force 3 : to increase rapidly

- ex·plod·er noun

Reply to
Richard Lamb

I can relate to that...but how is this for a dirty deed. I had a friend who was going through a divorice. He would have offed h is old lady if he could. We was a welder by trade. So what he did was inflated her tires on the 1970 Impalla with acetylene, with the concept that when she made her run to work (bout 80 miles one way) on the interstate in the summer, those tires would get hotter, and pressure would increase over what he had them inflated to, and possibly blow and hopefully she would loose control.....or maybe hit a pot hole and have it explode.....She went to work one day, made the round trip uneventfull, and later on he had second thoughts as to what he did, and wound up slicing her tires to get back at her let the acetylene out. They were in th process of a divorice and still lived in the same house all that time.......In theory I guess his idea could very well work.......but she made a decenlty long run to and from and on rough Pennsylvania interstates just fine....

Reply to
Roy

Dood, tires are rubber. If you want them to blow up, fill them with O2 or OA mix.

Reply to
Pig Bladder