Using my lathe today

Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is about).

Use to take about 3 hours by hand and using the lathe certainly justified its purchase to my lovely wife.

I remove the handle of the hand grinder and chuck the whole assembly (chuck the end of the shaft) in the lather. The grinder is big enough that it hangs down vertically between the ways which keeps it from rotating. I place a large steel bowl on the ways, dial in for about 200 rpm and pour the seeds into the small hopper. About a 10-15 minute task which finishes with me saying "Aren't you glad we have a lathe"?

Other uses: I purchase one of those manual counters ($4± harbor freight) and taped it to my ways to be tripped by the chuck as it spins around. Great for rewinding coils as they go bad in my pinball machines. Fortunately most of the coils have the number of turns printed thereon so it becomes a no brainer operation.

Put 2 or three copper wires in the chuck and use the lathe to twist ornamental wire. After the braid (twist) they can be bent by hand to make holders for decorative plates or nick-knacks. The same twisted (or hand braided) copper wires can be hammered flat and is a good project for 5-10 year olds to make bracelets or rings.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I've been using my Graziano for grinding wheat in the same way. Susan makes a killer loaf of whole wheat bread----which we both enjoy, but grinding the wheat was a tiring job. Not any more.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
Dave Young

Since Ivan and Igor are privy to the recipe, I assume it must be a Russian dish. My grandmother, a refugee of the pogroms, used to make poppy seed shortbread cookies which I loved as a kid. They were called (phonetic spelling) moonpletzls. I wish I had the recipe.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

My mother owned no measuring cups, and kept all her recipes in her head. Susan, not being of Greek extraction, but wanting to learn how to prepare my favorite meals, went to my mother's house on many occasions and watched my mother prepare a specific recipe. She'd measure what my mother did, and create a recipe. She has become an excellent cook, and has preserved recipes that would now be lost.

Unlike my mother, Susan works only from the book, but makes everything from scratch.

Here's the recipe, which makes one hell of a bread. It's moist and heavy----

Enjoy!

WHOLE-WHEAT BREAD

3 cups warm water

3 pkg. Dry yeast

1/3 cup honey

3 TBS oil

6 ½ cups unsifted whole wheat flour

1 TB salt

1 cup powdered milk

Mix water, yeast, honey and oil. Stir dry ingredients and add to first mixture. Let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.

Knead well for 10 minutes. Form into loaves and place in two well greased loaf pans.

Let rise 15 minutes in warm oven (80-85 degrees). Remove bread and heat oven to 350-375 degrees. Replace loaves in oven and bake 50-55 minutes. Brush tops with butter.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
Dave Young

Welcome!

Sorry about the spacing of the post. I copied and pasted the recipe----not knowing what to expect.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
Dave Young

Think there's a market for "high precision whole wheat" ? :-)

Kinda overkill. I like it!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Back when I used to make espresso coffee, grinding the beans was easy if I used an old German KYM grinder, but the labor of cranking it for several minutes was arduous. My solution:

I'm with ya, Ivan!

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Now that's really milling, isn't it Grant? Great pictures. Thanks.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I shouldn't speak for Iggy. I suspect he is from the former Soviet Union. I for one am 100% Hungarian!! Poppy seeds are used around Christmas time to make poppy seed cake. It takes a special mill because poppy seeds are oily and must be crushed and not grated, unlike walnuts etc. The crushed seeds are cooked with honey (or sugar) and used as a filling in a rolled-up baked, log shaped pastry. (flat log, not round).

I only included Iggy because I've been able to find said pastry in Russian and east European deli's and figured Iggy would know all about it.

Iggy where are you? ??????

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

The Dutch folks make a similar pastry, only of almond. I'd kill for the recipe. I'm familiar with a wide array of sweets, but nothing comes close to the wonderful taste of this stuff.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Mmmmmm..... Poppy seed cake.

I can reccomend the Maple Leaf Bakery, in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan, for theirs!!!

Last time I was there, I picked up 8. They freeze very well.

Worth calling ahead for!

If yer in the area, you will be able to track down the phone number yourselves. :-)

Nice folks to deal with, too!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I love it!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Harold,

I made the bread tonight and it's everything you said it was. My kids say it's the best bread I've made....

Thank you very much!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Young

Obviously these work better than my first effort - cut the crank off an egg beater and chuck the stub in my 1/4" electric drill, single speed, 2000RPM = eggs on the ceiling. Mom was not impressed! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Just passed your recipe to one of the card players downstairs, thanks! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Maple Leaf Bakery Address : 424 4th Avenue SW, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 5V4 Telephone : 306-692-8551 Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

You're very welcome, Dave. Very pleased to hear it was as represented-----knowing how one man's treasure has the potential to be the other man's garbage.

Harold