Using my lathe today

Heh!

What is it with people like us?

My memory is one of breaking one of my mother's mixing bowels while screwing around with her mixer.

I'm always amazed to read how much most of us have in common.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 06:01:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

Mixing WHAT? Ewww!

Yeah, most of us don't feel that _The Dangerous Book for Boys_ is worth a sh*t, do we? They talk of exciting and scary stuff like "how to wrap a package in brown paper and string." while we remember making our own explosives (sulfur/saltpeter/charcoal), hiking and climbing cliffs, trees (swinging in a 60' arc on a 40' tall bendy sapling, sailing boats we built ourselves, chemistry sets (exploding gallon jugs with calcium carbide, water, and a match), dis- and reassembling everything in sight (and making it work again), doing 100mph+ in our cars, making our own knives, sliding downhill on a cable and pulley into a mattress tied to the downside tree, making our own skateboards (metal-wheeled skate broken into two pieces and tacked onto a 1x6, then rolling down the steepest hill we could find), putting cherry bombs into every possible crevice and blowing it up (including the toilets at school), etc.

And that was the mild stuff.

Youth: BTDT, survived with all of my fingers, toes, and eyes.

P.S: Hey, 'Arry. I just realized that Chehalis, WA ain't too far a piece from you. How did you survive the massive downpour? I'm hoping you and Susan are alright since your screaming-fast Internet link is still up.

-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I can see it now, fellow rednecks with their meat grinder turning the lesser cuts of bambi the deer in to burger and sausage.

I guess it works out, since that safest place to hang the deer is inside your gar^h^h^hshop.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Man, just reading that recipe tastes good!

Reply to
John Husvar

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:54:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

A Redneck Hunter's Christmas Lights:

NOTE: No lathe was harmed in the performance of this stunt.

-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Harold,

[snip]

Thanks! It is very similar to a recipe I adapted. It too called for powdered milk, which I converted to whole by removing water. You use more yeast than I do, which is worth a try.

Do you use a rapid-rise yeast? Your rise times seem short in my experience. It could also be that you get the water warmer than I get the milk (I do warm it), or it might be the extra 1/2 pack per loaf.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Just dont take any drug tests for a week after eating all that poppy seed goodies. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Probably has something to do with the fact that we read the same news group. Its all in the mentality! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'm of the opinion that we are here *because* we share things in common. I have a brother that would be bored to tears with pretty much all the comments posted on this board. We are nothing alike----don't even share a decent conversation. All the better, considering he lives in Florida, I live in Washington State.

I firmly believe that those of us that follow this board are quite different from most guys----not better---not worse-----just different. Very curious by nature, most of us have explored most things to our satisfaction, and are creative, not often accepting no as an answer. Lets face it-----we're cool!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I checked with the boss. She said she does, indeed, use rapid-rise. I expect that the extra yeast and the rapid rise is to compensate for the short period allotted. I got the idea when first introduced to this recipe (many years ago ----in fact, I was still married to my first wife) that it was intended to be a fast-to-make recipe. My mother used to bake bread-----and it took hours from beginning to end. Susan has bread out of the oven in about two hours from beginning to end. .

It's possible made an adjustment to the recipe long ago, substituting milk with powdered milk and water. Neither of us drink it, so it wouldn't be something she'd have on hand all the time. I'm positive your choice is every bit as good, if not better.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

We're fine, being high and dry----but somewhat inconvenienced because it's the Centralia/Chehalis area where we do our shopping and buy our building components. Our favorite Mex restaurant was flooded (again), as were almost all of the new stores in our area. I pity those that were in the heart of the thing. Some of these folks had little to lose, so it's a greater hardship than we'll ever know. It's hard to understand how tragic such events are unless you can view them personally----which we have done. We were there when it was overflowing the freeway. Seeing those huge concrete dividers (reputed to weigh 3 tons each) moved by water isn't something you soon forget. Portions of I-5 were under 10' of water.

Here's a link to some pictures of the damage. Even a couple of the Mex restaurant, Plaza Jalisco.

I'm far from a religious type, but for those that are, pray for these folks. They can use anything they can get.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:36:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

Where will you shop now? It may be months/a year before they're back in biz.

I saw that FedEx truck in another picture group online but didn't know the restaurant was your favorite. Condolences.

Good luck in finding resuppliers in your area. They'll be inundated by the rebuilders in the flooded zone.

How did Centralia/Chehalis come to be built on such low ground?

-- My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life. -- Miles Davis

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:04:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

I wholeheartedly agree.

Hear, Hear! And we've all got...The Knack.

-- My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life. -- Miles Davis

Reply to
Larry Jaques

EXCEPT for one particular person who jumps at every chance to complain about an " OFF-TOPIC " post. :-) :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

snip--

Indications are that isn't the case. Some of them have already reopened--and others are talking about relatively fast reopenings-----just days, not weeks. Large crews have turned up to do the work. We were back in town last Thursday and were pleasantly surprised to see so much progress. Home Depot was prepared to do business outside, likely under their loading area. Wal*Mart was making noise like they'd be open in about ten days. Frankly, I'm impressed with how fast it's coming back.

Considering I'm a relatively new-comer to the area, I don't know that I can answer that------but logic tells me They were settled where they are because it was a low lying area. Years ago, they relied on water to transport almost everything. I imagine the rivers were instrumental in decision making. I'm open to correction.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Chuckle!

Yeah, but we like him in spite of his self. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run. Gun it comin' off the line Sharona

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Harold, Thanks much for a neat early Christmas present! My wife made up a batch yesterday evening and the house smelled _wonderful_ and the taste is great. Didn't use the mill or lathe to mix the dough 'cause the wife loves to do all that by hand. Thanks again Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

Thanks, Bob. It's very reassuring to hear others like it. I thought maybe I was alone. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

What kind of oil - Way oil? High sulfur cutting oil? 10W non-detergent turbine oil? 90W Hypoid gear lube? ;-)

Seriously, that one needs a bit of expansion - does it make a difference if I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (first choice here, trying to cut down on 'the bad stuff'...) Corn Oil, or the old standby Partially Hydrogenated Soybean? Taste is a consideration, but sometimes substituting the wrong ingredient like oil can actually break the recipe.

Cooking is applied chemistry, and there are arcaneries involved. If you don't provide the proper catalysts and reagents, Epic Fail.

If you want to inject some metalworking content and give her a useful and valuable Christmas present at the same time, go get her an older Kitchen Aid K5-SS 5-quart stand mixer - not the new version with the less powerful motor, you want the old reliable battle-axe. And you need an accessory kit with the dough hook.

Standard admonitions apply - Know your recipient before doing this, or don't label it as "A Christmas Present" lest you be walking around really oddly with a mixer's power cord sticking out of your... >_< Some wives treat an appliance as a gift as a serious affront.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman