vacuum pump from yard sale - what's it good for?

It's some kind of medical suction pump thing.

Nice little 1.6Amp motor, when I turn it on and pinch the suction tube shut the vacuum guage needle says 27 inches.

First thing I think of is removing bubbles from plaster moulds, but what else could I use it for?

(Ob gloat: $5)

Reply to
jtaylor

You and it both suck. Congratulations! :)

Top eight things to do with a vacuum pump:

8) Use with plastic bags to cure composites

7) Science Fair! Collapse cans for the amusement and edification of all

6) Forms the 'vacuum side' of your 'dipstick' oil changer

5) Debubble RTV castings. Use a stainless steel pressure cooker as a chamber

4) With trap and filter, it becomes the 'vacuum side' of your alumimum diecasting mold

3) Use with a trap and filter to suck solder off of PCBs during component replacement

2) Bag guest pillows in plastic- pull air out, Viola! stores in 1/2 the space

1) Give it to ME!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

[I doubt this will work very well for removing bubbles from plaster. You really need to boil it at room temperature for that, and this requires 29" hg. At 27", you're actually creating more bubbles than you're getting rid of. It might be good for something, though - maybe a mini vacuum clamp?]

Andrew Werby

Andrew Werby

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:25:11 -0700, Winston calmly ranted:

0) use it as a clamp to epoxy laminated parts together.

-1) Give it to Larry Jaques. Got my address? I'll even help with the shipping if necessary. ;)

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can fixture flat parts for machining 5 sides at once. I make a lot of small parts that way. For instance, I can suck the flat side of a heatsink extrusion down to a fixture, and machine the fins. Or small plastic parts, sucked down, and machined. No good way to grab them in a vise, and trim all four sides off.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Logghe

According to the various spams I get, you can also use it for a penis enlarger and a nipple stretcher.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Take a small mason jar and add a nipple to the top to fit to your vacuum hose. The jar serves well to remove moisture from guages, watches etc.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I've got a couple of these that were used on ambulances, I guess. Rechargeable battery packs for portable/field use. I think one unit has an air outlet port.. inflatable splint, maybe?

What do EMTs suck out of people? Pump stomachs of drug OD or poisoned patients?

The containers aren't very big, about the size of a coffee-maker pot (maybe

2 litre), and use plastic bag liners with volume scales on them.

WB .............

Reply to
Wild Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wild Bill" Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 7:03 AM Subject: Re: vacuum pump from yard sale - what's it good for?

Anything that might be blocking a persons airway... IE: Vomit, food, vomit, blood and clots, vomit, mucus and did I mention vomit? Pumping stomachs and cleaning out lungs are better done at the hospital.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew V

(Snip)

-2) Don't listen to Larry, jt. I wanted it first. I'll pay the *entire* shipping fee. :) (Very cool information on that woodworking site, Larry.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(Snip)

Would y'all be shocked to learn that don't work?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ive got a video around here someplace where they were using it as a nipple stretcher.... seemed like the gal was having a good time.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

"Wild Bill" wrote: (clip) inflatable splint, maybe? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ I have seen an ambulance crew use a vacuum splint. As the air is removed, atmospheric pressure presses the fabric against the limb, and makes everything rigid.

BTW, in my circle of friends, there are a lot of wood turners. We find a vac pump extremely useful for chucking.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Heheh.. reminds me of a picture I saw years ago, where the lady (?) had a pair of mousetraps attached to them.

WB ..............

Reply to
Wild Bill

|| ||"Wild Bill" wrote: (clip) inflatable splint, maybe? (clip) ||^^^^^^^^^^^ ||I have seen an ambulance crew use a vacuum splint. As the air is removed, ||atmospheric pressure presses the fabric against the limb, and makes ||everything rigid. || ||BTW, in my circle of friends, there are a lot of wood turners. We find a ||vac pump extremely useful for chucking.

I can't picture how that would work. Got a link? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I just can't live without vacuum and compressed air. There are 5 different systems between the shop and the boat shed. I have made vacuum clamping jigs for all sorts of work. The simplest is just a piece of melamine particle board with a hole in the middle and a ring of weather stripping. When I need to plane, route or sand a flat piece just lay it on the clamp and turn on the vacuum. Another is a right angle jig with the same holes and weather strip rings. Great for gluing parts at right angles. It has a gap where the parts meet so it is good for welding sheet metal too. Also made a long vacuum straight edge. Comes in handy as a saw guide to cut up sheet goods with a circular saw.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

||> I can't picture how that would work. ||> Got a link? || ||I just can't live without vacuum and compressed air. There are 5 different ||systems between the shop and the boat shed. I have made vacuum clamping ||jigs for all sorts of work. The simplest is just a piece of melamine ||particle board with a hole in the middle and a ring of weather stripping. ||When I need to plane, route or sand a flat piece just lay it on the clamp ||and turn on the vacuum. Another is a right angle jig with the same holes ||and weather strip rings. Great for gluing parts at right angles. It has a ||gap where the parts meet so it is good for welding sheet metal too. Also ||made a long vacuum straight edge. Comes in handy as a saw guide to cut up ||sheet goods with a circular saw.

Thanks, Glenn, that helps a lot. I also have one of the pumps the OP mentioned, and haven't figured out what to do with it. Now I have some ideas. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Run a small vaccuum chuck with it.

Reply to
My Very Self

Damn right. I must have bought half a dozen machines and sets of pills and I swear that three of them didn't work!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand