Vacuum pump question (2023 Update)

<snip>

Though of you the other day and your working on these items while listening to this NPR clip:

A lot could be learned from your experience with the hassles and liability worries but I'm sure the businesses currently doing it would quickly squash any changes :( Leon Fisk

---------------------

Here's a lawyer fighting the grey market in medical devices.

"..and storage temperatures may be listed in Centigrade rather than Fahrenheit."

The Pfizer suit I referenced is an example of no good deed going unpunished. I'm a share holder and the letter I received on the suit cast them as evil demons for trying to relieve pain in unapproved ways. It seems we've lost the ability to distinguish ignorant from innocent, culpable from capable.

There are substantial numbers of the disabled who for various reasons can't deal effectively with the complexities of Medicare (or life itself), yesterday I encountered that problem between medical offices with diagnostic codes for a routine blood test, even though I expected the problem, had called everyone involved and was assured all was OK. The dysfunctional disabled may have to depend instead on the immediate, personal, sympathetic assistance of grey market providers. Since I was a very low level part of the System I didn't deal with them but they convinced me not to divert surplus equipment to my home projects.

The only solution I see is to cover my own 'cul' and let society get what it asks for. The needy around here know that I'll open my hands to help them, to shingle a roof for instance, but not my wallet which only leads to trouble.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
<snip>

Agreed ;-) but I rarely offer anymore...

Reply to
Leon Fisk
<snip>

Agreed ;-) but I rarely offer anymore... Leon Fisk Grand Rapids MI

------------------

Same here, the old sports injuries have come back. I say I feel like a teen-ager because I hurt in the same places.

The questionnaire for the next Wellness Visit just arrived. It's Medicare's lite version of an annual physical. Q: Do you need help with your daily household activities? A: Sometimes. What do you know about industrial machine tools or electric welding equipment?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
<snip>

I don't take the risk of asking questions like that anymore other than in my imagination. Sometimes they actually follow up and then you have to explain even farther<eye-roll>.

Relative did that physical thing. They asked several times if there would be any charge and the Office assured them it was all covered by Medicare. And as you've already guessed it wasn't and they were billed for services not covered :(

Reply to
Leon Fisk
<snip>

I don't take the risk of asking questions like that anymore other than in my imagination. Sometimes they actually follow up and then you have to explain even farther<eye-roll>.

----------------------- You already know RCM posters have tools. I'm careful what I tell them. Discussing chainsaws and my home-made sawmill tends to move the interview past other possessions.

Recent and pending updates expand the power to obtain records.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I worked for a disk drive manufacturer in the midd/late 70's & we used a vacumn pump on our drives . Our pump had carbon vanes I had to rebuild the pump a few times . I've also seen carbon vane vacumn pumps used in a dental office , but that was all 40 yers back . About all I can tell you about the ones I seen/worked on is that they were gray & they had small jars where the crap being filtered would get dumped & when the jars got so full you had to empty the jars . I kinda remember that they may have been made in Europe . A quick google shows some sources

thats about the best I can do animal

Reply to
Laura Allen

I worked for a disk drive manufacturer in the midd/late 70's & we used a vacumn pump on our drives . Our pump had carbon vanes I had to rebuild the pump a few times . I've also seen carbon vane vacumn pumps used in a dental office , but that was all 40 yers back . About all I can tell you about the ones I seen/worked on is that they were gray & they had small jars where the crap being filtered would get dumped & when the jars got so full you had to empty the jars . I kinda remember that they may have been made in Europe . A quick google shows some sources

thats about the best I can do animal

--------------------

Thanks. I asked because I acquired a small vacuum oven and Gast pump at auction.

The oven had been used to remove air bubbles from cast epoxy, which was thick on the oven floor. I learned how to use lab equipment in college but never heard that alcohol -vapor- would harm pumps. We used condensers and traps to recover and keep out liquid solvents which would since they are incompressible. Perhaps the distinction between alcohol liquid and vapor was lost in passing on the warning.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
<snip>

Wasn't precisely aware of that but not all that surprised either. Thanks for the heads up :-)

On a some what related note... Amazon has a Ring camera for your car coming out:

Pretty sure we can count on that being shared with law enforcement too :(

Reply to
Leon Fisk
<snip>

Wasn't precisely aware of that but not all that surprised either. Thanks for the heads up :-)

On a some what related note... Amazon has a Ring camera for your car coming out:

Pretty sure we can count on that being shared with law enforcement too :(

Leon Fisk

----------------------

I worked in communications security in the Army and later, and avoid WiFi. To any monitoring Feds, that's why I visit crypto-related sites.

My surveillance cameras are hard-wired or trail cams, this laptop is physically tethered to the iPhone that links to cellular Internet, and I disconnect before using the laptop for other things, especially the income tax spreadsheet I wrote.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'm not that fastidious, but I do somewhat keep an eye on what my computer is doing...

Thought the way they tracked down the Washington Substation perps was enlightening:

Nowadays one should just assume that they are on camera being recorded and most likely their location is being logged ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'm not that fastidious, but I do somewhat keep an eye on what my computer is doing...

Thought the way they tracked down the Washington Substation perps was enlightening:

Nowadays one should just assume that they are on camera being recorded and most likely their location is being logged ;-) Leon Fisk Grand Rapids MI

---------- The cellular system has to track (ping) the phone to know which cell you are in, to receive calls.

"Alternatively tracking with both systems can also occur by having the phone attain its GPS-location directly from the satellites, and then having the information sent via the network to the person that is trying to locate the telephone."

You can turn off civilian but not law enforcement tracking in Location.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That is a brilliant summary. I "caught this in the net" because I have been looking for a way to say exactly this for some time.

FWIW - the need to say this is particularly necessary to characterise Britain's situation now?

Reply to
Richard Smith

Jim, Bob,

We commonly hold that with "the NHS" - the National Health Service - we get twice as much for half as much.

A friend who is a major level consultant says it's actually significantly to the better of that - significantly more than twice as much for significantly less than half as much.

The bill each year is only excruciating because we produce f* all. Back to Jim's point about the "post industrial" economy.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Jim, Bob,

We commonly hold that with "the NHS" - the National Health Service - we get twice as much for half as much.

A friend who is a major level consultant says it's actually significantly to the better of that - significantly more than twice as much for significantly less than half as much.

The bill each year is only excruciating because we produce f* all. Back to Jim's point about the "post industrial" economy.

There's a lot of noise about the problems of America because the freedom to choose includes the freedom to choose unwisely. My medical insurance, supposedly quite good, is paid for by the standard Part B deduction from Social Security, which amounts to a few hours of a skilled tradesman's wages per month.

Your time is the only stable measure of value. My father told me about his youth during the Depression in the rural South, and how little he earned logging and in the mills. I asked him to translate that into the hours to earn the price of a shirt or loaf of bread, and it wasn't much different than for me. As bad as the 1930's were, both parents had cars when the War began.

When riding trains as a hobo he'd go to the poorest, blackest part of town when hungry. The typically fat black mammy who answered the door always gave him something to eat. The 'better' areas weren't as generous. That shouldn't be forgotten.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That is very interesting and insightful comment in various ways.

Reply to
Richard Smith