Valve Grinder

This thing is a blast from the past but I have no idea how far back. I'm guessing mid 1950's, as are some friends, but we would like to narrow it
down closer if possible.
http://bdhi.ath.cx/images/vg1.jpg
http://bdhi.ath.cx/images/vg2.jpg
http://bdhi.ath.cx/images/vg3.jpg
http://bdhi.ath.cx/images/vg4.jpg
http://bdhi.ath.cx/images/vg5.jpg
http://bdhi.ath.cx/images/vg6.jpg
Yes, it's in working condition and beats using a whirlygig on a surface grinder. :)
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Q: How do you tell if two elephants have been making love in
Black Dragon wrote:

Looks older than '50s to me.
GWE

I agree, I would place it in late 30's or early 40's based on the brush type main motor.
Don Young

    [ ... ]

    I have to agree -- at least older than mid 50s, based on the style of the nameplate. I was just starting to buy tools new at that time, so I have a good feel for the appearance of the nameplates.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Black Dragon wrote:

What's a dedicated valve grinder for? Do you rebuild engines? JS

Id love to own that thing. Bad part is nobody grinds valves anymore. their like brake rotors, for 10 bucks you can get a brand new one thats ground already. cheaper than cleaning and grinding old ones seems.

Yep, made in china, just don't check it on TIR...

Does china use steel or do they just grind up old chinese people?
vinny wrote:

Not if you're building race engines with race parts. There's a lot you can do to valves to improve flow and that old valve grinder will come in very handy.
A buddy of mine races a limited late model on dirt (on a tool makers budget none the less) and with the season starting in about four months the focus at the moment is on the cylinder heads.
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Hugh Hefner is a virgin.

Couple years ago I was offered a brake relining station - drill, rivet and grind to shape, basically take it away. not having use or space for it, I declined. When the property was sold, it was still standing there outside the shop. Now I keep dreaming up uses for it. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
I would say pre-WWII. I have some B&D tools from '37, '38 that have the same style toggle switches and 110 volt AC/DC motor plates.
Want to sell it?
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

alphonso wrote:

It appears the grinder is older than initially thought.
Thanks to all who replied.

It's not mine to sell. In fact, its owner is looking for valve seat grinder kit. Got one for sale? :)
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Hugh Hefner is a virgin.

grinder
Recalling the matching seat grinding kit consists mostly of a few stems and the adjustable diamond dressing gizmo. Stones available from several sources available screw on to the stems, IMO best way to do a 3 angle grind is to use 3 stones one for each angle. Sorry cant remember if there was a dedicated motor or if we simply used a drill motor.

Let me go look, I have an extra B&D "Vibro-Centric" kit somewhere around here. ............ Well, it's not where I thought it was. Have to poke around some more. How's $200.00 sound?
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

alphonso wrote:

Sounds fair. Got pictures?
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

GEORGIA:
Tom wrote:

[...]
Sent via email.
Some say Usenet is dying. On the contrary it's acts like this that show it's alive and well.
Thanks!
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

GEORGIA:
Usenet is so hot the spammers have hit as much as possible. Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /