Toolpost grinder

Was looking through a PDF of Advanced Machining Handbook from the

30s, look in a retro way. It had an illustration of a toolpost grinder. Now it makes sense.

But other than 1,000 and up, who has a serviceable model for less (less, less) than that?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I made an adapter to mount my dremel type tool on the toolpost . Light duty only , but it works rather well . I had to add a .015 shim (cut from the bottom of a pie tin ...)around the front bearing of my dremel tool to tighten things up , but that's all . Used it to clean up and size a couple of transmission roller bearing races just the other day . Very likely will be using it soon to do a finish grind on a couple of laps for the motor ... -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have a little aluminum cased 5" bench grinder that I have been eyeballing for conversion to a tool post grinder. A hold down plate and

3 bolts to mount it and away you go.

Louis Ohland wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

I've used a Dremel for grinding small circular cutters on a lathe with decent results. The mount is a rectangular aluminum block set upright with a tongue that fits the toolpost slot and a center-height hole the diameter of the neck of the Dremel. I think a RotoZip or equivalent might work, haven't tried it because I found a Dumore #14 cheap. The problem with a toolpost grinder is keeping *all* grit off the very exposed lathe ways, dovetails and lead screw.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Louis, There are home built rigs and then there is the real deal. Huge difference in performance. You will never achieve a correct finish using a converted grinder, because the balance and the shaft bearings are not up to the task. That is why they cost what they do, even used. Remember to cover the ways and carraige with rags before grinding. The swarf is very damaging. Also .003" is a big cut and use a very slow spindle speed. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I saw a thread somewhere where aluminum foil was pressed into use to create over lapping way covers.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Build yer own! Buy the "Quorn" book and only make the spindle part.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I recall seeing a Popular Mechanics article in the 50's showing the making of a tool post grinder, it used 2 inch threaded pipe and a surplus universal motor. I know I clipped this from the magazine. If I find it I'll post the date. I could scan it and send to you as well if your interested. ignator

Reply to
sk

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:24:37 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

That'd work, and most of us have a box of it lying around already. Y'know, for making our beanies.

-- Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it. -- Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Very true, however you can also get a good surface finish by lapping and polishing. Homemade tool post grinders let you to shape hardened steel and sharpen tools.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've gone to lead foil for that. Keeps the mind rays out better and when it gets tears in it I can melt it down for bullets.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

An excellent suggestion!

Wes

Reply to
Wes

================== for a cheapscrew solution click on

works with electric or air die grinders.

You can make your own from angle iron if you have welding capability.

FWIW -- their quick change tooling system works well for the home/hobby shop and the plans are worth the money.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

It only absorbs the E field, the H field still gets through. Mu metal is best but I've found ferritic stainless adequate.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:25:55 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

Tears in it? How can it possibly get...Oh my heavens! You're not _removing_ it once it's in place, are you, Wes? Oh, dear...

-- Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it. -- Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Don't know where else you'd go for grinding wheels with a 20mm hole, though.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Louis Ohland

13/16 would be the closest
Reply to
Brent
ßx?USÁNÝ0¼ç+öDA?B??T@´TAUJ¥zÞ8??Ú?¸ôÛ;ö«P_?6ÞÌÌ?iä­S´Ó?ÉuÏs?@iäD4ØI·¨?îio¬£M°¾?PSÒ d}R4?¶-E V"u?? uhT????ôJ«õÔ çÆX­6Àå^? =??cÊ,^Whô§iÛöüà÷¢é?â E¶Î¼Wÿ.UF}´à#Èb??­z(UWS·¤|°Zç fÂ`=M "Ë.éÙK¥C?8ØýÒ.Ò ~³¤?§??g*óm?#??#³AW?¹­îÀ .ÿE: ´??ª·»éJ«8?ÎCÎÄf´>??|ã8FbßWFO?µ?°yËÖq×9Ùi%/X?Î)O?&l¢[^1»S`?\ì « ??xÌ j:'&õ?¦e?êâk1/ÑE[Ãp óTg-Y·¯?(årþÛrSÝ!LU~?=}aO§ç5]¾ÿ@ù?@Úóè2?KW:º¦i>¸ç/é`?¥®A?\V×ö¦?x~??¾d?4]6#?¿ßÝg?nû-û?§§7óÀ??!(¾>¶7o?gm¬ \Þ#?«}mè1a?=Æ$X³Ä¸ .?Iø?ûfóÒ C&~A¢ø({ç{½?s ª\/O'ÅßìÉ2×???s¾D[k?±d?´Gl ä?8Ìïz49ÚæKû±VQJJÎ
Reply to
Mechanical Magic