Van Norman 1R3U Universal Mill

I was back in the town where I found that mill ... and looked it over again , looking specifically for a tag with the power requirements . Imagine my delight when I found that it can be converted to 220 volts !!! I didn't stay long , the business was closed for the weekend (several machines including this one outside under a carport type cover) . Last time I looked I turned handles and stuff , felt tight and smooth . This baby is both a vertical AND horizontal mill in one package ! I'll be calling the business tomorrow , since the funds I've been waiting on will be available next week . I have no idea what kind of offer to make ... I have a pretty good idea of what it's worth , depending on what tooling comes with it , but have no idea what he is wanting . I do know that he bought "a few machines" mil surp , and this is one of the leftovers . He has another (B&S) mill , two surface grinders , and a couple of lathes (big 'uns !) sitting outside , and I was told by his counter man that he's had them "quite a while" . Does anyone have any idea what one of these weighs ? The closest comparison I can come up with is a website for a 1RQ type at 3100 pounds plus/minus - and this looks a bit more massive to me . I'm going to have to transport this thing about 165 miles , the first fifty miles over windy (!!!) mountain roads . Then back up there when I move in a year or two . I don't think my 5X8 utility trailer is gonna do it ... and neither will a half-ton GMC pickup ...

Reply to
Snag

An addendum - while looking for more info on the net , I found the website for the place that has it . He's got an asking price of $2k on this machine on his website ... unless it comes with it's weight in tooling , it ain't worth that much to me ... but I guess I'll never know how low he'll go unless I call !

Reply to
Snag

Van Norman? Damned good machines.

Heavy..heavy as hell and heavy duty.

Offer scrap value at most.

If its running..its one of the most versitile millers you will ever own.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I guess I need to find out what a ton and a half of cast iron is worth ...

Reply to
Snag

There are few people around anymore who even know how to turn a VN on, let alone set up and run it.

Tooling should be either 40 or 50 taper. Both are cheap and easy to find.

Assuming that all functions well..Id offer $1000 with every bit of tooling he can find, $500 without tooling.

Your moving expenses are going to be significant..remind him of that as well.

YMMV of course. Btw,.....Id have it moved, rather than doing it yourself. Shrug

Figure at minimum an additional $500 unless you can find someone with a roll off and a slow day.

Gunner

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

This one has well marked switches and gear shifting levers ... including all the nameplates in legible condition .

But I'm not going to tell HIM that ! When I called him before , he didn't seem to know a lot about any of the machines he had out there .

All good advice , and much appreciated ! The figures you mentioned above are right in line with what I had in mind , maybe he's checked his storage area and found the tooling ... if he has any . It seems he had a bunch of machines , and let other buyers pick thru the tooling and get what they thought went to their purchases . If I'm lucky , there's a set of collets , maybe a rotary table , etc . I'll know after I talk to the guy today . If the price is good enough , I may buy it and store it up there until I move ... got a couple of good friends that live up in the area . Of course that would mean I'd need a smaller one here for projects ... heh , heh.

Reply to
Snag