Vernon horizontal mill question (securing cutter)

I recently bought a Vernon (#0?) horizontal mill. A nice step up from an Atlas mini mill but small enough to move easily. Anyhow, the arbor does not have a keyway and with a 1 hp motor, the cutter needs to be really tight. The problem is that there is no back gear and no way (I think) to lock the spindle. How do I hold the spindle/arbor while I lean on the tightening nut? I could modify the arbor to be able to grasp it by the inner shoulder, but how did Vernon intend it to be tightened?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt