Victor Knockoffs?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had some experience with some of the gas welding setups (knockoffs of Victor) that can be found on ebay for $50-100. This is for occasional hobby use, for flame cutting and jobs where MIG is not appropriate, since I already have a Miller MIG unit.

Please don't get on my case about buying knockoff import crap or say XX is the best, only buy XX. I am really interested in hearing responses from people that have actually used these setups. How do you like them? How is the quality? What are the shortcomings? How much did you pay?

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
Greg

OK. I have actually owned a cheap torch/regulator setup. Although I had many years experience with a cutting torch, I was unable to cut a clean edge until I got a better grade of regulators. Could I sever steel? Yes. Did I feel good about it? No.

That's what happened to me. Maybe it will be different for you.

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Greg,

I'm shopping on the cheap right now as well, and had also been intrigued by those.

The archived information I could find (probably from here) seemed to imply that the regulators are flakey on much of that stuff and the pressure jumps around. Probably not a good situation for someone like myself, who will already have enough inexperienced "user error" to deal with.

I visited two local dealers yesterday and am finding that even a couple small sized tanks will run me almost as much as an entry level Harris or Victor torch kit, with no tanks, and neither of them lease any of the smaller sizes. I'm thinking now of going with a bundle which already includes the 10/20cuft empty tank combo. One of the locals will swap the tanks out at refill cost.

Good Luck George

Reply to
George

I've owned a couple. On my latest one ($90 15 years ago), one regulator started leaking after about 10 years, so I replaced that with another cheapy ($25 IIRC). Now my regulators don't match . I replaced the hoses with longer and better ones some years back, the originals had spent too much time in the sun. Whatever you start with, get a couple extra cutting tips, you usually need one smaller and (less likely) one larger. The right size tip helps a lot making a clean cut. A gouging tip may come in handy as well. And you'll probably want something nicer than the crummy elastic-band goggles. I prefer the flip up type that will fit over eyeglasses. Get a decent quality striker or two while you're at the store. Add a hoop to your cart to wrap the hoses around, a hook to hang the striker on (rather than the regulator handle), and a tool box thingy to hold all the little goodies.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

I bought a cheap set many years ago the regs worked ok for about a month of light use, then they started giving me problems, I then went out and bought a nice set of used regulators that I still have, and they work great. My cheap set was a Harris copy. I still have the cutting torch that uses Harris tips.

Reply to
Wayne

Reply to
Steve Hopper

Thanks to all that responded. I'm getting the idea that you get what you pay for with these things, particularly with respect to regulators and valves.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg