Tractor question

I have tractor fever. After driving my dad's Mahindra and Uncle's John Deer I can see how usefull it would be to have one at the house if for nothing else mowing my yard and 5 acres. What would be a good, cheap tractor that maybe is cheap to fix up that would work for somethign like that?

My uncle just bought a very small 1952 Farmall with a gas engine and a belly mover. It had been restored and looked sharp.

I know this is an "out there" question. WOuld it be possible to replace the engine on an old tractor with a gas car engine? Kind of a "Monster Garage" thing? Looks like car engines would be easier to come by.

Also, could I add a 3 point hitch and pto to drive tractor accessories with my 89 F-150?

Just a thought.

Reply to
Don

Anything is possible if you have the time and $$$$

It is rare indeed to nbot be able to get most any part for any old model tractor, so having to install an engine in one from a vehicle would really be a waste of time. There is literally tons of used ag type equipment out there to fool with if yur really intent on refurbing a used tractor.

I personally woulfd not touch an import such as Kioti, Mahindra, and those as Northern Hydraulics sells and quite a few other off brands. A John Deere even used will be totally restoreable, but noticeably more money. Parts availability on those off brand imports are a big issue in some areas, as most dealers if they actually have a business and not operating out of a cheap rented hole in the wall or their front yard have a better chance of going bust over night. Stick with a well known brand name and take it from there. Ford, Massy Ferguson, Long, New HOlland (Ford) John Deere, IH, CAse just to name a few are all worthwhile, but then again a larger ag type may be just too big to do what you want, and pulling a bush hog or finish mower behind one is easy but you spend 70% of the time manuvering and 30% doing the grass cutting where on a small say John Deere L & G you spend 95% cutting and the rest manuvering, and you will have less hand work to do as well as larger implements can't get in areas smaller ones do. I maintaian 10+ acres with a JD GX335 w/54" cutting deck. I have a Ford

1720, with 72" finish mower, as well as a 60" rutoary cutter. I can maintain and cut everything I cut with the JD in 4 1/2 hours from start to completion, but its still a day and a half with the larger tractor and bigger cutters and it don;t look anywhere as nice.

Regards

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

||I have tractor fever. After driving my dad's Mahindra and Uncle's John ||Deer I can see how usefull it would be to have one at the house if for ||nothing else mowing my yard and 5 acres. What would be a good, cheap ||tractor that maybe is cheap to fix up that would work for somethign ||like that? || ||My uncle just bought a very small 1952 Farmall with a gas engine and a ||belly mover. It had been restored and looked sharp. || ||I know this is an "out there" question. WOuld it be possible to ||replace the engine on an old tractor with a gas car engine? Kind of a ||"Monster Garage" thing? Looks like car engines would be easier to come ||by. || ||Also, could I add a 3 point hitch and pto to drive tractor accessories ||with my 89 F-150? || ||Just a thought.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

The Ford 8N-9N models are oldies but goodies. My dad had an 8N with rear shredder and I remember cutting a lot of grass with that thing. These are very basic tractors, gas engines, easy to work on, and, it seems, infinitely rebuildable. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

The Ford 9 N is one of the most popular models ever built and in demand by tractor buffs. Stay away from any of the Chinese stuff, because they are like their machine tools, requiring a lot of " rebuilding" to be useful- difference being, the lathe will be in your shop, while the tractor may be

1/4 mile across some muddy frozen field when it quits.
Reply to
turnitdown

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The majority of tractors use the engine as a stressed member, meaning it is an integral part of the machine frame.

Reply to
Anthony

Old Ford tractors are a real good bet. I own four of them. Personally, I'd go for one from the late 50's to the late 70s. ( The 8N-9N is a pre & post WWII model) About the same price but a LOT more functionality. Live PTO and live hydraulics the most important. There are many models to choose from. If you find a model you're interested in, post here. Myself or others can tell you all about it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

IH Cubs were fine in their day, but had no three point hitch. I've had several and eventually had problems finding parts at afoordable prices. Pick out something in the 25HP range that has a dealer close by in your home town. Now, I keep up 5 ac with a Ford 1710, and love it, but the local Ford dealer has shut down so I have to go out of my small town for parts, and most have to be special ordered. Stick with a brand name, and run from the cheapie stuff like Belarus, and the like. For your mowing needs, a belly mower will be best but a rear mount Woods finishing mower is second best. All other finishing mowers are leapyears behind Woods in quality. Been through, Ford, Bush Hog and others. Average life of these in my use is about 3-4 years before bearings fail, welds break and decks rust through in places that are hidden from sight

Reply to
GMasterman

No shortage of great old models around . Best to find someone with local knowledge . In fact if you can locate some oldtimer to help you check things out you will find out tons by watching him and probably make a friend at the same time . I would go to a dealer go out back and ask the repair guys if they know anyone that might help you search for the right unit . I have seen all sorts of engine swaps . At best they are a pain . Mainly though if you use a car engine you lose the govenor which is something you will want . I suspect if you just find some major brand in good shape you will be a lot happier in the end . One more thing , there are lots of tractor wrecking yards the same as for cars so parts tend not to be the problem on most old stuff people think . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

If you want to mow your 5 acres in style,buy a Jeep CJ-7 and add a belly mower to it. Neighbour did that, nice combo. Powers the mower from the rear shaft, so the Jeep is just front wheel drive. It made for an interesting afternoons project.

Now if you want a real tractor, get a least a 35-40 HP class. Dirt cheap (

Reply to
j.b. miller

I'd suggest pickup a used McCormick Farmall Cub with and undermounted

48" rotary mower. I drove one of this for 5-years during college to cut 7-acres of weeds and grass down in a radio station's antenna field. Nothing else I've seen even comes close, and you should be able to pick one of these up today for a good price.

Forget about the F150, or using a car motor on a tractor (car and tractor engines have totally different operating characteristics). If you buy a used tractor with a shot engine, you can rebuild it rather easily at much less expense and effort than you will eat-up in workarounds.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

My uncle put a 327 Chevy engine in a John Deere garden tractor. Fine for miniature tractor pulls and lawnmower racing, not so good as an everyday working tractor. Somewhat more practical would be a straight

6 cyl Chevy or Ford engine in a tractor originally designed for an engine of that type. But car engines really aren't designed for tractor service.

Most old tractor engines are very rebuildable, and there are numerous places where you can buy used or rebuilt tractor engines if you prefer not to overhaul the engine yourself. Check out

It is possible, but it isn't practical. What you really need is a Ford

800 series (later called the 4000 series) tractor. Ford made a zillion of them, and most of them are still around. Prices range from about $2,000 to about $5,000 depending on exact year, model, and condition.

I had a 1958 Ford 861. That was a 65 hp gas tractor with a 5 speed transmission, live PTO, 3 pt hitch, etc. It was a real workhorse, but still small enough to easily maneuver around in restricted spaces. I traded it for a JD 4020, a wonderful tractor which I still have, but lots bigger than the little Ford.

BTW, avoid 800 series Fords with the early Selectomatic transmissions. They were trouble prone. For the later tractors (4000 series), the auto tranny is the way to go. It'll save you bunches of time when maneuvering in tight places, and by the 4000 series era they were rock reliable.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman