Victory

Those that follow this NG regularly may remember my questions about backhoe repair. After an awful time just getting the hoe separated from the tractor I found the four plates holding the cradle and lower pins all bent and terrible slots where pin holes used to be. I used a rosebud and all my clamps to straighten everything. Then the gas-axe (torch) and die grinder to line bore all four plates. Then welded in four step bushings. I made them real tight - only 5 thou bigger than the 1.5" pin.

Today was final assembly. I put the hoe on the lower cradle then pulled the unit up and put the new top pins and holder in. My plan was to stop there for the day and spend tomorrow reaming and die grinding to make the lower pins fit. But I thought, I'll just try it. So I drove the unit over to the concrete slab. I got under the tractor and both pins slid right in!!!

The hoe is attached better than new. I'm pretty proud of myself right now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That's far beyond my capabilities, the only thing I know is that it is a tough job!

Ignoramus10537

Congrats, Karl ! Not bad for an old apple picker.

Today was final assembly. I put the hoe on the lower cradle then pulled the unit up and put the new top pins and holder in. My plan was to stop there for the day and spend tomorrow reaming and die grinding to make the lower pins fit. But I thought, I'll just try it. So I drove the unit over to the concrete slab. I got under the tractor and both pins slid right in!!!

The hoe is attached better than new. I'm pretty proud of myself right now.

Karl

Reply to
Robert Swinney

So, after how many weeks of this thing being parked in front of the house -- are you still married?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It always feels good when it comes out right . I can dig it !

Reply to
Snag

I just checked. I tore it down of 5/22, so three weeks. I would have been done ten days sooner if I hadn't bought a dozen pallets of scrap iron right after tearing the tractor down. Certainly the longest stretch of making our home look like a salvage yard in the last 30 years. I do think I'd best not make a habit of doing this.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

-snip-

very nice. congrats! i wish i had a backhoe(!).

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

(...)

As you should be.

Well done, Karl!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not too shabby!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Not bad, for someone who started his business with a half eaten apple and a rusty pocket knife! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

She's happy to have her toy back!

Reply to
Buerste

Yep, and now, so can Karl.

Reply to
John Husvar

--Didja take photos??

Reply to
steamer

I didn't but I should have. Nobody will believe me when I tell them a gas axe makes a great line boring tool.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I wondered how long it would take before someone realized I was tryin' to be punny ...

Reply to
Snag

Beware of the pun police. They specialize in cruel and unusual punishment. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As you should be!

Reply to
Wes

I didn't believe how neatly they can remove bearing races until I saw it done.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins