Waaay OT-- What kinda foo? (Snailmail Scam)

I received a letter this afternoon from 'Direct Marketing Surveys Inc.' of 2620 W TENNESSEE STREET, TALLAHASSEE, FL

32304 (sic) It has a Canadian postage stamp.

Must be one of those Southern Provinces.

Neither Yahoo or Google know anything about 'Direct Marketing Surveys Inc.' and 2620 W. Tennessee St. in Tallahassee, Fl comes back to a vacant lot destined to be a self-storage facility.

Here's a picture:

Google Maps says it's an Allstate Insurance Office, another insurance office and a financial office.

(I am So ConFused!)

Enclosed was a check in the amount of $2980.00 drawn on the account of 'GEICO DIRECT' at the 'PNC Bank' of New Jersey.

They congratulated me on being selected to participate in their 'Consumer Research Program' as a 'MYSTERY SHOPPER'.

I am to 'professionally and expeditiously' deposit their check into my account and send $2530.00 to them, (oops, I mean to 'Kate Mason' of Greenville, South Carolina) via Western Union 'Money in Minute Services' to determine if previous customers evaluations are accurate. To wit: "This is as a result of complains (sic) from some of Western Union reliable clients/customers lately about the sanity and behavior (sic) of some Western Union Agents whenever they go to send money to their relatives."

I am to call my Agent, Mr. Richard Brown as soon as I receive this letter. Apparently Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones are away.

What to do, what to do? :)

I have ~30,000 lbs of busted up concrete left over from an ongoing project. (Apropos of nothing, just FYI.)

--Winston

(PS. Yes, I know that address has nothing to do with the actual ....participants.)

Reply to
Winston

Plan to use it as packing?

Jim Wilkins

Take this to your post office, or just throw it to trash.

Ignoramus17493

(...)

I'd be tempted, except the scammers forgot to indicate their real address. Bummer.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks, Iggy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Invite the Greenville, SC sheriff to collect one alias "Kate Mason" and hand "her" over to the postal inspectors?

Reply to
Ecnerwal

An excellent suggestion, Lawrence. Thank you.

I lightly edited my newsgroup posting and sent it off to the Office of Inspector General just now.

Piece of cake.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Maybe the scammers have filled out a "change of address" form with the USPS to redirect the mail.

Reply to
guillemd

Aha! This scam is known to the USPS:

guillemd

(...)

Thanks! I thought that looked a little suspicious.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston