Walmart

I'm trying to remember, but they were a supplier of a client, who now needs to get their supply elsewhere because the supplier went bankrupt paying for the equipment without the promised large market.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

This (getting suppliers commit to large capital investments and then dumping them or demanding unrealistic prices) is part of routine Walmart's business practices.

Ignoramus29068

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:19:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, clare at snyder.on.ca quickly quoth:

They could just as easily have said "NO" to Walmart if that were the case. Retailers have a CHOICE and are not forced into doing business with anyone they don't like, y'know. Instead, the greedy bastards thought they could make a killing with such large sale numbers. Why are you seeing Walmart as the solo bad guy here, folks?

War is hell, business is worse. Live with it.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep - Railway express office handled lots of them - in big trucks. Depended where the house was going. It was neat for kids on farms - learning in school and in life - order a dozen of 8 or so 'types' of chickens - and see how they react to the local life and then cross breed... Postman delivered them. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Roy wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Worked for Micro-soft.

Reply to
Richard Lamb

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:50:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus29068 quickly quoth:

Cites, please?

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You sound like you are even surprised about any or all of that.

My goldsmithing teacher in school told me once, "I never buy cheap tools. I can't afford them, they are too expensive."

:)

Reply to
Abrasha

Except Microsoft then bought out the failed supplier in the vast majority of cases.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The former, please. Most Parts Plus stores, at least ours, are independent Mom & Pop stores run by people with some mechanical knowledge and a stake in their community.

You're our kinda guy, come on in!

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

Which is why many good manufacturers decline Wal-Mart's business.

In my market, something similar has been happening with Auto Zone. 2 years ago they announced "Pay On Scan". Anyone selling to Zone should be prepared to ship them merchandise. Zone would pay for it when it sold at retail. So basically, they wanted free inventory in exchange for the privilege of being their supplier. A few big companies could afford to do this, and some startups were willing to gamble to get some business. But I just heard that Zone is now retreating. Between supplier resistance and IT tracking issues, POS is to be abandoned.

Reply to
Rex B

My biggest problem with that is the stuff that walks out the door without being scanned. Guess who gets to eat the shoplifting and employee theft losses. It's not Auto Zone.

Reply to
Clif Holland

FWIW, I grew up in a Sears Roebuck kit house. My Dad didn't build it though, bought it from the estate of the late sheriff, so I don't really know what it was like when it arrived. Structurally it was in some ways far better than modern houses--heavy timbers, all heart yellow pine, etc. Asbestos-cement shingles--last forever and scare away liberals--real win-win on those things . On the other hand it wasn't very tight--we put down some sheet vinyl one time and the first time a high wind came up it blew right off the floor--there's something to be said for plywood in that regard. Interior doors weren't very sturdy for the most part--one weird one was French doors with one door closing a closet. Had a _huge_ two-level cedar closet in the master bedroom. Oh, and 12 foot ceilings--I had a friend in high school who was a giant--literally--kid was proportioned like a powerlifter and stood over 7 feet tall (most laid-back guy you'd ever care to meet, but _nobody_ tried to mess with him) who loved to come over because the ceilings didn't crowd him.

Wish I had kept some of the old Sears catalogs--for a kid they were fascinating--kind of like surfing the web but different. Used to be able to order a kit to build a Bensen Gyrocopter I remember. Always lusted after one of those things when I was little.

Reply to
J. Clarke