Just Used Some of That Cute Little Rebar

I made a new stand for the grinders with a truck wheel filled with concrete as the base. When I went to move the completed base the bottom plug of concrete fell right out of the wheel. Well to be more accurate it stuck better to the floor than to the wheel. Looked beautiful from the top, but the bottom was hollow. Oops. If I do another concrete filled wheel base I'll do it on a piece scrap plywood instead of on the shop floor. LOL.

The weight was probably still plenty, but if a little heavy is good then heavier is better. I welded a few pieces of that rebar salvaged from the washer salvage project into the span across the bottom side of the wheel and filled it with concrete with the bottom side up. A quick level and trowel and it looks good. I used a piece of granite counter top to make sure it was flat, and then when it was almost set troweled it smooth.

Now I should have a grinder stand I won't have to stand on when I am grinding.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Grin...made a mold did you?

Good save!

***********

Beautiful concrete casting of the face of that wheel. Now I need to figure out which hammer I want to use to bust it up. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I used a couple of brake drums connected with all thread to sleeves of

1/2" pipe welded around a length of 3" pipe then built my ginder on top.
Reply to
Gerry

I used a couple of brake drums connected with all thread to sleeves of

1/2" pipe welded around a length of 3" pipe then built my ginder on top.

************

Belt grinder? This one is for a pair of bench grinders.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ouch! Did you spend hours of chipping, or did it finally come up?

Since it's easier to move around, I prefer a strip of plywood bolted to the grinder or buffer stand. That's a heck of a lot easier to move around, too. My grinder: an old Delta 1" belt/6" disc sander combo with a 120 grit zirconia belt on it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ouch! Did you spend hours of chipping, or did it finally come up?

******** Haven't messed with it yet. Figure I'll probably hit it with the bucket loader first.

Since it's easier to move around, I prefer a strip of plywood bolted to the grinder or buffer stand. That's a heck of a lot easier to move around, too. My grinder: an old Delta 1" belt/6" disc sander combo with a 120 grit zirconia belt on it.

******** This actually hasn't proven to be all that much of a deal to move around. I just tilt it and roll it on the edge of the rim. Given it feels like over 200 pounds (from when I turned it back over) its surprisingly easy to move around that way.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

"And when it _did_ break loose, there was enough play in the bucket and arm to toss it through the dining room wall. Oops." Ayup, it sounds like a "Hold my beer and watch this" story to me.

I wouldn't want to have to pop it up onto and off of a tailgate.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"And when it _did_ break loose, there was enough play in the bucket and arm to toss it through the dining room wall. Oops." Ayup, it sounds like a "Hold my beer and watch this" story to me.

I wouldn't want to have to pop it up onto and off of a tailgate.

*********

That's what the front loader is for, although I could probably still load it into a pickup truck by hand if I had to. I just might have to rest for a while afterward.

Reply to
Bob La Londe