Water High Pressure hose longevity repair

I have an old High pressure water sprayer and the hose covering is disintigrating, anyone had success in repairing this type of hose just to keep it going? A picture with hose detail inset is here...

In the background the white coil is the 6mm drain hose attachment which has completely lost its cover already and now it looks as though the main wand hose is going the same way! Hoses still work but the woven armour layer will wear through and that will be the end! Or is it just time for a new sprayer! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Heat shrink tubing works. Adhesive lined might be better.

Reply to
Bogus

You need to protect it before any strands of the wire sheath break. They are sharp and always find soft fleshy fingers! An alternative to heatshrink tube is a length of split protective corrugated PVC electrical tube held in place with some cable ties.

._SY300_.jpg

Reply to
Bogus

Yeah, $25-50.

True, but until then, he can "fix" it with DUCT TAPE! How about some cool fluorescent pink, or woodland green camouflage, or...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:17:51 +0800, Bogus wrote as underneath :

Hi all, thanks for your ideas, heatshrink in that size say 12mm dia and up to 10 meters long would be difficult to find I think but would do the trick very well, heatshrink also seems usually expensive! Incidentally the white armoured pressure layer is Nylon tight woven not stainless steel. Suggestions on replacing the hose with new dont run at all, they just dont exist as a separate item over here (UK). Even the 15meter drain

complete new 150 bar system. This KEW unit is about 25 years old so I cant really complain, much! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Some are probably nylon (mine had the s/steel). Heatshrink tubing isnt that expensive when you buy it from electronics outlets / wholesalers or engineering supply places - it's on cardboard rolls or 1.2m lengths. The smaller places that sell it in little bags charge an arm and a leg for it.

Maybe just repair the damaged section for now? Or buy some clear nylon beverage tube and slip it over the whole lot.

Reply to
Bogus

I'd keep looking for a replacement. Doesn't make sense that an entire machine would need replacement if a hose was damaged. Most any store here that sells washers also sells replacement hoses, usually with an adapter that allows joining two hoses together. Try this:

Larry Kraus

I bought a new hose for ours- made better than the OEM one (Karcher). I think it was about $50. US. Okay, it was this one:

(that's rated at 4,000 PSI = 275 bar, so higher than yours).

For repairing that boo-boo, I would suggest self-vulcanizing aka self-amalgamating tape. You should be able to repair that section with a few dollars worth of tape. The important thing is to protect the fiberglass braid as soon as possible so that it doesn't get frayed- then you'll get leaks. When the self-vulcanizing tape is on there it will act like a solid bulgy mass and not like some tape around the outside that will fall off. I used the same stuff to do a temporary repair on the intake boot on my car (between the MAF sensor and throttle body- a bad place for a crack as it admits unmetered air) and have not gotten around to putting the replacement hose on yet- it will probably last indefinitely.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Split wire loom tubing:

Ned Simmons

Neighbour set out to the curb a little gas powered washer complete with hose and gun, Guess where it went. got the gun working but poor output from the unit even after oil change on the little B&S engine, OK- a winter project to overhaul the pump. Next time I looked the motor/pump unit had wandered off from sitting on the chopping block in the driveway - have fun A**HOLE - just like the old laptop second son left on the car seat parked in front of the house with windows down - no unique power supply. Anyhow I have the gun + hose.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:06:58 -0400, Larry Kraus wrote as underneath :

OK Thanks to you all, Ill probably go with the self amalgamating tape for now and the if the washer outlasts that - get a new hose as some here suggest. Thanks everyone... I didnt think of Youtubing for it!! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

I guess you didn't look very hard as there seem to be plenty of places selling replacement pressure washer hoses in the UK such as Ebay

and google turned up quite a few more searching for "pressure washer replacement hose"

Reply to
David Billington