wedding rings from coins (and a concrete lightbulb)

An interesting and slightly eclectic site/ blog. Out sort of people :-)

(and the concrete lightbulb is kinda cool) Geoff

Reply to
geoff m

These "coin rings" were a very popular past time of some navy sailors. You beat the edge of the coin repeatedly with the back of a heavy metal spoon and eventually it mushrooms out. My dad used to make them on the ship he was on. You need to use a real silver coin, a half dollar. He made 2 about 10 years back for himself & my mom as gifts. Took them to a jewelers shop when he had finished the rough ring and had them sized. Very cool. I made one out of a quarter when I was younger. I remember the noise going on for weeks. Needless to say not a quick process, but cool nonetheless.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

You can also do this

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Anyone else remember the barricks scene in "Cool Hand Luke" where the poor guy is pounding on that coin like he's trying to drive a spike through the table.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

I think I met that guy at the Tesla museum in Colorado Springs about

10 or 15 years back. He was trying to sell some sort of shrinking machine, and going on about how he had changed the nature of matter. I explained that until I did a volume/weight/density check, I wasn't going to believe him. He went away.

Cool effect though, and 7000 joules isn't really all that much energy.

Reply to
Dave Hinz