Homeland security

I wonder why those charged with improving homeland security don't employ professionals to advise them.

I say that tongue-in-cheek: professionals are not known for P.C.

We must work with the system we have, but I'm dismayed by the incompentence.

The trigger here is the recent ban against a carryon BIC lighter. Good grief! I suppose a BIC could be used as a weapon, but prohibiting them doesn't present even a minor nuisance to a professional.

Reply to
Don Foreman

We have no system that gives any security, just hasseling to convince low IQ voters that SOMETHING is being done. 9/11 would never have happened if there were NO airport security.

Reply to
Nick Hull

AND you can still carry on book matches. It is a joke. How many metal barrel ballpoint pens are run through the scanner? Ever wonder what's inside?

A Navy Seal could walk on a plane naked and find a hundred things to use as weapons.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yes, and it is quite easy to make very small deadly weapons containing no metal that are transparent to Xray. I'm not talking silly baggie bombes here. That's my point: retaining some professional consult could result in greatly improved effectiveness at much lower wasted cost of employing the inept to inspect the inconsequential. I think focus is badly lacking and badly needed.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don't start. That'll be the next step. All passengers must strip to the skin and be anesthetized before takeoff....

I remember when flying used to be fun.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

You are SO missing the point.

The main purpose is not to increase "security".

As the original poster pointed out, if there were abso-freakin-lutely NO security at all 9/11 would never have happened, someone would have greased those ragheads before they even got on the plane! The MAIN reason the camel-jockeys suceeded is the attitude of don't do anything yourself, just cooperate and let the government handle the situation and everything will be O.K. Result? 4,000 U.S. dead and war in Afghanistan and Iraq. To prevent people from thinking about protecting themselves the government is saying, O.K. we made a little mistake but now we have Heimatland Sicherheitsdienst so just follow orders and do what we say and everything will be O.K. but whatever you do NEVER think about protecting yourself because that's just nonsense and if you do we'll make sure you regret it, if you survive.

Don Foreman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
H.C. Minh

OK, ya got a laugh out of me there.

Interestingly that's a pretty good description of what happened in the one plane that was going to hit the white house. a)They thought about protecting themselves, b) they didn't survive. Too bad the other planes didn't have the same end.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

"Employing the Inept, to inspect the Inconsequential."

You have just made a defining statement, Don!

I like this.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Not only Seals.

Gunner

"The Democratic Party is the party of this popular corruption. The heart of the Democratic Party and its activist core is made up of government unions, government dependent professions (teachers, social workers, civil servants); special interest and special benefits groups (abortion rights, is a good example) that feed off the government trough; and ethnic constituencies, African Americans being the most prominent, who are disproportionately invested in government jobs and in programs that government provides.

" The Democratic Party credo is 'Take as much of the people's money as politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as possible'. Tax cuts are a threat to this Democratic agenda. Consequently, Democrats loathe and despise them." -Semi-reformed Leftist David Horowitz

Reply to
Gunner

On 17 Apr 2005 06:19:37 -0700, the inscrutable jim rozen spake:

You haven't seen this airline?

Ditto. No more, though. Maybe I'll Fly Naked next time.

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ----

Dynamic Website Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Andy Asberry wrote back on Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:27:07 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"I am the weapon. The gun is just a tool."

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A number of unruly passengers learned that no one on airplanes takes it very well anymore when they act up. Seems the passengers tend to stomp the shit out of them.

How so? There are no WMDs. Ask any Liberal.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

I just connected thru JFK from Athens towards Baltimore- bloody amateur hour. Still have to take off the shoes for some crap reason. I sure wish the Homeland Security brass had to fly coach with the rest of us slobs, it would improve the situation right away.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

We have seen no other terrorist attempts because there are no terrorists in the US. When DC needs a terrorist act for new legislation the terrorists will strike again.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Right. The Illuminati, or the DNC, or the Keebler Elves will hire some contractors and do it up proud.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Well now, they only say that when they want to attack Bush. Before, they were in agreement. Ah well.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

No kidding! Do you know that there are about four (varies with aircraft type) fire axes in overhead compartments in the passenger cabin of all passenger aircraft? Well, actually they are more like hatchets, the real fire axe is in the cockpit. But, those things look REALLY deadly to me!

If you doubt it, look into the overhead compartment where the flight attendant gets the sample oxygen mask and seat belt for the cabin safety demonstration. There's a lot of pretty dangerous stuff in there that they wouldn't even let you check for the luggage compartment.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

But just think how happy it must make the decendents of Baron Marcel Bich. I bet a lot of travelers are going to be buying replacements for their confiscated or left at home BIC lighters after they reach their destinations.

***

It's always seemed to me one of these knives could be pretty easy to sneak through security without a strip search:

***

The first time I flew after 9-11 I forgot what was on my key ring and lost the powdwerless and primerless .44 Magnum "Dirty Harry" souvenir round which had resided there longer than I could remember.

It had an inch of bead chain coming right out of the primer hole linking it to my keyring, but the oafs at airport security confiscated it anyway.

***

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:05:02 -0400, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia spake:

Howzbout 2" pocket knives, which are also banned? I walked on board right past the DHS inspector (his eyes were 18" from my pocket) with a

9' sharpened pencil sticking out of my shirt pocket. A 9" wood/lead weapon is OK, but a 1" steel is not? Logic comes into contact with the DHS regs at no point in time.

Ditto knives, fingernail files, non-rounded scissors, etc.

I have one of those (different brand, Eagle) and LOVE IT! I wouldn'teven think of taking it on a plane with me, though.

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques