Wedding Rings

Posting to the watch thread got me thinking. Might as well ask ya'll cause the company we bought them from kind of dropped the ball.

My wife (under 40) has arthritis and had to have her ring cut off and I never wear mine. So I was thinking that something could be made out of both for her that she could wear , and with only one diamond.

I did a couple of pools for this one guy that is into gem cutting and has a centrifugal ahhh "thing" for gold. That maybe a way to go , but I need to know at least basically what I want before I look him up.

Without getting the original company to do it I'm lost on how to make sure the weight and the same diamond come back... He's probably trustworthy , but he may not want to do it or take forever and within a month would be cool. She cried about it for days , but she can't resize the thing all the time so can't have another wedding ring.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Keep it in your possession until he needs to mount it?

Reply to
Jeepers

Check into local "custom" jewelers. Those are the ones that have furnaces for melting gold and casting in the lost wax process. We (wife and I) have had a couple of pieces done where spare gold from old unused jewlery was melted down and cast into a mount of our design. One in particular featured the wifes ex-engagement diamond in the center and bezel consisting of small rubies from another old piece. AFAIK, custom jewelers are trustworthy, but check them out first. Since you are in Vegas, all bets are off!

Reply to
Robert Swinney

LOL your right ! Other than who , I'm looking for ideas on what, all I can think of is something that hangs on a necklace. Maybe I just can't go wrong with that. The place in TX. won't do anything with the scrap.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

We did exactly that with ours. I was never alowed to wear rings etc in the military and over the years I just got used to not wearing jewerly. The wife was always missplacing her's when she would remove it to wash dishes or during those times of the month when water gets retained etc. and she really is not all that big into rings, even more so now that her employer has regs agaisnt wearing them or earings etc at work. We had both of them weighed. Contracted with a custom jeweler to make her a pendant for a necklace. He estimated what it would weigh after it was finished, and after making it he returned the balance of the molten down gold as a nugget along with a pendant that was pretty much in line with his estimate.. The diamond in the ring was incorporated into the pendant along with birthstones of the kids etc. A neckless pendant fits all unlike a ring does so in her opinion is a better item to hand down than an old wedding ring and besides you should not need a ring to remind you of your marital status. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

That helps. Birth stone , hmmm when was are kid born. Then something she likes... Wonder if the mother in law can help and keep her mouth shut...

I can just see me in a deep shit hole for melting down the stuff without her ahhh SWMBO permission. LOL

Reply to
Sunworshipper

There is a jeweler in my home town in Indiana who offers "Divorce" rings. He remelts your old wedding ring into a new ring design.

Any diamond merchant can certify your diamond and make sure you got the same one back afterwords.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Speaking of keepsake diamonds...

There was an artcle in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune (Metro/State section, page B-1) this morning about a company that will take your loved one's ashes and convert the carbon, from the bones, into a diamond.

Carats are good for her eyes?

Reply to
Ken Moffett

You could get a little colour match gold "solder" (or maybe TIG), repair the saw cut to get two rings whole again, join them in a figure eight and buy a gold chain to make a necklace from them. The fact that you did it yourself would add to the emotional value of the piece.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Here speaks a man who *truly* understands what's important about that ring....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Oh, that's a *beautiful* diamond. Did your husband give that to you?

Oh, no, that IS my husband.

~D

Reply to
Dave

I have been thinking along the same lines, except using the ashes in a ceramic vase, for the clay and glaze. Bones make a good flux for glazes. Hey, a nice urn looks better than ashes :) "I always knew that bastard had a yellow streak" could be pointed out as fact :)

Les

Reply to
PIW

Been lurking for a few months here. This article in the link has something I don't understand. Diamonds are 100% carbon. Crematory remains are 0% carbon. How do they make a diamond out of ashes?

Or is this a scam?

Oscar

Reply to
Occupant

LOL. Don't confuse the marketing folks with facts. Makes their heads swell up and bust.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

What gives you that idea?

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

The fact that carbon and oxygen react fully at the temperatures they burn bodies at....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

So what is the charcoal residue that remains?

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

Never having seen somebody after the flames, I cannot give first hand evidence. However from what I've heard of the process, given the temperatures involved, I would say all the carbon would have been reacted.

How much carbon is left in a barbecue grill after the fire's died out? None.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I thought of that but I didn't think it would sit nicely against her skin (necklace). That would work for a broach though.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards