Removing Rings

I'm about 15 years too late to take off my wedding ring, even with the help of ice and butter. (I may give it one more try today, but I think it'll just get to the joint and stop). It's really past time -- SWMBO and I aren't going to get un-married any time soon, and my face is enough to chase away opportunistic women without needing to resort to a piece of metal on my finger.

I know there's a tool to whack the thing off and leave the finger behind, but I don't know how gracefully it cuts the ring.

So -- is there a way to get this sucker taken off in a way that'll do minimal damage to the ring, so that it can be resized and used again? Should I just take myself to the local Fire Department and have it whacked off, or is a jeweler going to do a better job vis-a-vis leaving a repairable ring?

The ring's platinum, for whatever difference that makes.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Presumably you've resolved to cut off the ring? Dremel? Multi-tool?

Or, let a jeweler do it, I'll bet they do this all the time. They'll cut, and silver solder (or platinum solder??) the cut joint. You can see the joint, but it is *perfectly* smooth. I had this done once re-sizing, altho they didn't have to cut it off my finger -- it was just a very large ring.

Heh, yer gonna have one helluva tan line.... lol

Reply to
Existential Angst

You didn't mention this method (dental floss, thread or fishing line).

She suggests K-Y as a lubricant. I've used lithium grease (for removing a ring (from a finger)).

Start when it's not swollen- patience is a key. If it gets too swollen you might have to go to Emerg.

Resizing should be possible after it's cut, maybe someone else can comment on how that is done.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

FD, Hospital, Ambulance crew pretty much all use the same tool. Basically a small manual rotary cutter with a piece that protects the finger. They cut a very thin kerf, then you pry the ring open slightly. >>> They will not cut platinum rings.

Reply to
Steve W.

The best way is:

-pull ring down on finger as much as possible

-wrap finger very tightly with thread, just like it's on a spool

-put a bit of lube on the threaded finger if necessary

-slide ring off

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Except after 15 years, the joint itself may be interfering. Shaving bone IS another option, of course.... lol

Reply to
Existential Angst

ADDENDUM! Use dental floss and make sure the end of the dental floss is under the ring. Works every time!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The manual ones cut platinum just fine. It is no more difficult to cut than gold or silver.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I think he's suggesting the fire department and others *won't* cut it because platinum dust is quite toxic.

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

If the joint isn't the problem, have the person sit down beside a sink, with their hand above their heart (above their head, ideally). Have them put their hand in the sink, which is filled with ice water.

The icewater will shrink the tissues in the hand, and the elevation of the hand will further drain fluid from the hand. This is usually enough for an assistant to pull the ring off with a lubricant, unless, of course, it is the joint itself which interferes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I find that very hard to believe (that Pt metal dust is toxic, not that they might think it is toxic).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Where did you get that idea? The stuff is darn near inert.

Here's a bit from the MSDS Platinum is considered to have low toxicity. Exposure to dust of pure metallic form may cause skin sensitization and irritation to the eyes. Ingestion and inhalation may have irritating effects.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Well, if you know what's good for you, you won't monkey around with Fred C. Dobbs.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I used a bolt cutter to get mine off (arthritic joint). There was distortion, of course, but the jeweler had to resize it anyhow, so it was no big deal. The advantage of the bolt cutter was large cutting force at the very end.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The ones we have warn against cutting anything but gold and silver because the blades are not made for it.

The booklets we have say the same.

Reply to
Steve W.

Platinum may be alloyed with Osmium :

Jim Wilkins

Day-um. That worked a charm.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Take yourself to a Good jewelry store and have it cut off with the ring cutter. It uses a very thin blade that removes very little metal.

Then have your finger sized and have them either open it up or send it off to match your current ring size. No idea anymore of what it will cost to have it enlarged, but you will never see where they did it, unless your ring has a strong pattern design and even then it can be cleaned up pretty good.

They will even cut Engineers rings, though those take considerably longer to remove.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Good for you, and your ring. Soapbox comment - you work (or appear to work) with both lathes (and/or other rotating machinery) and electricity on a regular basis. Both are good reasons not to be wearing your ring while working on those things, so how is it that you left it on for 15 years straight? Ring + rotating machinery is just begging to lose a finger when you might have gotten away with a minor cut. Put it in the toolbox when you get to the shop, and put it on before you leave...

Running an arc through one also sucks. Having it be the handy electrode that manages to put 50 milliamps through you sucks worse, but you won't be around to notice.

Likewise, even "with precautions" I think it's better for anyone, of any gender or hairstyle preference, who is working with rotating machinery to keep short hair. It's not a style choice in that case, it's a "not going to get sucked into the machine" choice. Precautions can fail. Not having hair long enough to wrap around the spindle doesn't fail, unless you insist on wearing a tie...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yay!