Removing Rings

I have jewelers saws from my silver smithing, some of the blades are so fine you can hardly see them. I would have recommended buying one but unless the bone has grown the dental floss trick works.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've seen in jeweler's tools catalogs a tool which is a combination of a pair of pliers and a saw. One jaw ends in a slight dip down and back up, and slips under the ring. The other jaw holds a tiny circular saw blade, which is turned by a key similar to what wound up old alarm clocks and the like.

The tool above makes a pretty clean cut. The ring can then be expanded (opening the gap, and making it possible to slide off your finger), and then new material is put into the slot and silver-soldered in place. Then the jeweler smooths the surfaces, and works to continue any pattern through the new metal. Some patterns are bound to be interrupted, but most should be simple enough for a skilled jeweler.

Probably not much -- other than material expense for the inserted section. And the filings left by the saw probably even have value, if they are carefully captured.

FWIW My wedding ring -- which I've had since 1975 -- still slips on and off easily. It always comes off my finger and onto a toy carabiner key ring on my belt when I go into the shop, along with my wristwatch.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I do not wear my wedding ring, it is not really compatible with the kin d of work that I do. I have two rings, and my favorite ring is made of tungsten carbide with nickel binder.

Ignoramus25632

My wedding ring stays in my pocket except at church and other social functions. They were verboten at work for the above reasons. Been that way since 1981. I've dropped it many times but always found it. For one thing it rings like a bell when it hits a hard surface, so it's hard to miss.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Ive not worn mine since I started working on machine tools in 1996.

Second day on the job I snagged it on a mill table while crawling down and dislocated that finger.

It stays in the jewelry box since then.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Pete Keillor fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That works even better, and much more comfortably with teflon plumber's tape, taking care to wind the tape as flat as possible, so as not to "pinch" the finger so badly. It accomplishes the same compression of the tissue, and slides around a smooth ring more easily than does twine.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's just boiler plate to keep people from trying to cut Iggy's tungsten carbide ring.

It's just a sawblade. Anything you would cut with a hacksaw you can cut with this.

The blades are replaceable,

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

You can alloy it with plutonium if you want to, but you're not going to find either in someone's wedding ring.

The toxicity from the nickel in most white golds is much higher.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I worked with Pt and Pt-Rh alloys for years (for thermocouples, and a project involved automated testing of catalytic converter innards) with no particular precautions, and I'm just fine .

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have made some portion of my income for each of the last 37 years as a goldsmith, including 12 years full time as a bench jeweler. I have licked more gold, silver, platinum and palladium off the ends of #60 drill bits than most people will ever see.

I have yet to hack up a platinum hairball.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Well, yea, it's been a much-belated removal. Growing out of being able to take the ring off happened during a fallow period in my doing real work; then, when I started using power tools again it was occasional, and I couldn't get the @#$% ring off.

So I just had to decide that it was time that either the ring or the finger went, and take action.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Gunner on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 05:50:53 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I've a ring of great sentimental value. Wear it constantly. Even to work. As I walk in, or immediately after I clock in, is slide it off, and loop it into the string around my neck which my baptismal cross hangs from. And everything goes back inside the shirt.

The smart ass in me says "fingers heal, rings don't" - even as I know there is nothing 'uglier' than an avulsion of a finger (that's when the ring snagged on something, came off, and brought the meat with it, leaving a bare set of finger bones still attached. Of course, you can't be sure you'll get something as neat as that, but... with practice....

tschus pyotr

Why yes, I do have a warped sense of humor. Left it out in the rain one day ....

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich